Old 2017-04-30, 16:50   #1
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

3·7·547 Posts
Default Database design

Anyone here, other than fivemack and I, have a significant number of astronomical images? Despite not having even a primitive webcam attached to even the most rudimentary telescope, I've already accumulated around a thousand images, roughly 10% from Tom. A few hundred more, >600 of them being 0.5ms images of Sirius, were provided by Paul Fellows who is also a member of the Cambridge Astronomical Association. The results of our collaboration can be found in the latest CAA newsletter.

I noticed that Paul had a few difficulties finding historical images in his file systems and before that I'd already recognized the likelihood that I would too in the future. The standard image format, FITS, supports rich meta-data about the image(s) a file contains but it is not easily searchable across many images. Much the same can be said about the NEF format images which Tom provided.

Accordingly I've been thinking about a SQL database and have written a preliminary PostgreSQL schema. The schema is doubtless incomplete, too baroque and/or just plain wrong but the aim is to be able to locate any images which were taken from a particular place, in a particular time period, contain a particular celestial co-ordinate, (type of) celestial object, constellation, photometry band and so on. Explicitly not required is to duplicate all the image meta-data nor all the data contained in the likes of the NOMAD-1 catalogue.

If anyone else is interested in such a database and would like to get involved, please say so in this thread.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 22:25   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

1071710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Anyone here, other than fivemack and I, have a significant number of astronomical images?
The standard image format, FITS, supports rich meta-data about the image(s) a file contains but it is not easily searchable across many images. Much the same can be said about the NEF format images which Tom provided.
Accordingly I've been thinking about a SQL database and have written a preliminary PostgreSQL schema. The schema is doubtless incomplete, too baroque and/or just plain wrong but the aim is to be able to locate any images which were taken from a particular place, in a particular time period, contain a particular celestial co-ordinate, (type of) celestial object, constellation, photometry band and so on. Explicitly not required is to duplicate all the image meta-data nor all the data contained in the likes of the NOMAD-1 catalogue.

If anyone else is interested in such a database and would like to get involved, please say so in this thread.
I don't know if any standard image catalogue software would be useful. I have threatened myself with installing some years ago (I downloaded a huge number of images of trains and autos from usenet).

I will be in the same room this Friday with NASA staff from JPL. Their Planetary Data System might be a cannon for your fly. I can see if one or more would be willing to talk to you. Last year at the event I was attending there were 2 JPL projects being presented (along with others): one wrt data set management, large data set transferring (data sets in the 10's of GB size [or even the 100's] that needed to be made available), & hosting; and an automated Mars crater identification and data extraction system (taking image sets and determining size, depth, etc. IIRC correctly this also worked with input from the Zooniverse's crater mappers.) I talked with one of the JPL staff a few months ago (very informally).

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2017-04-30 at 22:38
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote