mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts
Cool (Asperger's syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
Fascinating! Thanks for posting that link. Note that the study had a rather small sample size and is open to criticism on those grounds.

For the record, my fourth fingers are noticeably longer than my second. The discrepancy is about 9mm on the right hand and 4mm on the left.
Paul

This is an unusual case Paul.
This is what Cheiro, the master of palmistry, after whom the science of Cheirognomy was named, has to say.
‘When the second finger (finger of Saturn) is square and heavy, it shows a deeply thoughtful, almost morbid nature. When pointed, the reverse – callousness and frivolity.
When the third finger (the finger of the sun) is nearly of the same length as the first, it denotes ambition for wealth and honour through its artistic leanings and a great desire for glory. If exceedingly long almost equal to the second, it denotes the nature that looks at life in the light of a lottery, one that gambles with all the money, life and danger- by one endowed withal with strong artistic instincts and talents..
The spatulate terminator of the 3rd. finger is an excellent sign for an actor, orator, or preacher. It indicates that his artistic gifts are strengthened by the dramatic or sensational power, the breadth, and the colour necessary to appeal to audiences.
When the 4th, or little finger, is well shaped and long, it acts as a kind of balance to the thumb, and indicates the power of the subject, to influence others.
When very long-almost reaching the nail of the 3rd. it shows great power of expression in both writing and speaking, and the owner is more or less the savant and philosopher, one who can converse with ease on any subject; one who interests and commands people by the manner in which he will apply facts and knowledge to the treatment of anything brought under his notice”
This is what Lori Reid, another expert has to say.
“A short middle finger though, reveals the true Bohemian type, one who flouts the traditions, rules, customs and mores of the time.. People with very short Saturn fingers especially loathe red tape and petty bureaucracy”
When its said 'short middle finger' its in respect to the other fingers I may add.
Well how do you make out?
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 09:51   #24
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode
This is what Lori Reid, another expert has to say...
Wasn't it Lori Reid who got AS "approved" as a diagnosis somewhere in the 90's?
Asperger himself did his discoveries backin the 40's but I believe it wasn't considered a "Unusual mental development" until Lori Reid brought it back.

OH
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 10:24   #25
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

1000000001002 Posts
Cool

Im not sure if this is the same Lori Reid who got AS approved.
ASFAIK she is an astrologer. But her husband is/was a psychologist.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dms...n_page_id=1766
Mally
Old 2005-12-21, 15:33   #26
tha

Dec 2002

5×163 Posts

Now, let us use this information, where exactly do you want us to recruit new GIMPS members?
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:57   #27
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

17·47 Posts

Now, what I am about to say is not meant as an insult, becuase I don't know any of you, but I just have to ask. When did what really amounts to being pathetic and a genius end up being a syndrome? Where I come from, a person with all those problems wouldn't be said to have a mental problem, they'd be said to be sad and pathetic and pitiful.

Last fiddled with by Jwb52z on 2005-12-21 at 23:59
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:36   #28
ColdFury

Aug 2002

26×5 Posts

Quote:
When did what really amounts to being pathetic and a genius end up being a syndrome? Where I come from, a person with all those problems wouldn't be said to have a mental problem, they'd be said to be sad and pathetic and pitiful.
You're right, I guess all those people with Autism are just "pathetic". I'll remember to tell my brother he's "sad and pathetic and pitiful" next time I talk to him.
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 10:37   #29
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

40048 Posts
Default Unusual mental developments.

Reality is relative, and terms differ across the Atlantic and Pacific.
What is sad, pathetic and pitiful in America is a syndrome in parts of the other Worlds. Thats what it is. Always encourage - never discourage!
Many or almost all genius' are eccentric. Take Paul Erdos and John Nash as contemporaries of our times to name a few. However the opposite is not true
One can be eccentric but not necessarily a genius.
Mally
Old 2009-08-07, 17:54   #30
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts

"Asperger's Syndrome, on Screen and in Life"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/health/04aspe.html?em

Quote:
The three new movies would seem to have little in common: a romantic comedy about Upper West Side singles, a biopic about a noted animal science professor, and an animated film about an extended pen-pal relationship.

But all three revolve around Asperger’s syndrome, the complex and mysterious neurological disorder linked to autism. Their nearly simultaneous appearance — two open this summer, and the third is planned for next year — underscores how much Asperger’s and high-functioning autism have expanded in the public consciousness since Dustin Hoffman’s portrayal of an autistic savant in “Rain Man” 21 years ago.

“The more I learned about Asperger’s,” said Max Mayer, the writer and director of the romance, “Adam,” which opened last week, “the better metaphor it felt like for the condition of all of us in terms of a desire for connection to other people.”

. . .

Mr. Kaufman, of DisabilityWorks, said people were becoming more tolerant of Asperger’s “because it is front and center.”

“Awareness has been raised, and it’s fascinating to me,” he continued. “Is it acceptance? You could make the argument ‘yes.’ It is true that as it becomes the work of daily life, as we see people who have Asperger’s, it’s becoming less of a threat and part of our culture.”
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 05:13   #31
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

22·3·163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
...It is characterized by social ineptness, tendency to focus exclusively on a fixed subject, inability to interact effectively with other people, failed relationships, lack of close friends, and a tendency toward outstanding achievement in some specific field such as mathematics...
Well, that nails me to a wall. Perfect description. It wasn't mathematics though. It turned out to be computer hardware, and then programming.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 07:52   #32
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,817 Posts

Anyone heard about Gary McKinnon, the British hacker that entered the IT systems of NASA and Pentagon looking for UFO documents in 2001 and 2002?

He is told to have Asperger's Syndrome too...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 00:39   #33
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

3×491 Posts

Well let´s see if that saves him from conviction...
If he will be extradited to the US I really doubt.
I know he very recently lost an appeal to the British High Court, so he will most probably be extradited. A similar appeal had already been rejected by the European Court of Human Rights.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote