mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2009-06-26, 05:02   #1
flouran

Dec 2008

72·17 Posts
Unhappy Michael Jackson

Reactions, comments, etc which are all *related* are welcome.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget Farrah Fawcett.

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-06-26 at 05:09
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 12:26   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

MJ's certainly been one of the biggest influences on late-20th-century popular culture. (I mean "popular culture" in a respectful way.)
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 16:47   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×5,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
MJ's certainly been one of the biggest influences on late-20th-century popular culture.
That sounds like a statement from a politician that I heard yesterday, a statement of facts that seems to those that wish it, to be lauditory, but in fact is not.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 21:30   #4
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Hmm ... I see.

To expand and clarify: I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, Michael Jackson's music and videos. I think he made a lot of positive contributions to popular culture, regardless of a controversial lifestyle and a medical problem that was not widely understood by the general public.

Some of you may not know that he was granted a U.S. patent for a device that enabled him, in at least one of his videos I saw, to lean waaayyy over to the side in the middle of a dance sequence, without any break in action or filming, and without any apparent fastening or unfastening of himself to the support that kept him from falling -- and without trick cinematography, I might add.

I've read the patent. His improvement (or at least one of his improvements) over previous such support devices was a method of engaging the device right on stage seamlessly as part of his dance steps, without the attachment being apparent to the viewer, plus the ability to disengage it and resume dancing seamlessly.

No trick cinematography; no tilting of camera or stage; no need to stop action or filming; no effect on other dancers on stage next to him (though it could have been possible to use the device for several dancers simultaneously -- maybe I remember seeing that: multiple dancers all leaning waaayyy right and waaayyy left - either in unison or not -- maybe "Thriller"?). Pretty slick.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-06-26 at 22:04
Old 2009-06-26, 22:02   #5
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

32×5×83 Posts

Quote:
Some of you may not know that he was granted a U.S. patent for a device ...
I had to google this after reading your post...

pretty cool!

http://blogs.discovery.com/news_tech...-a-patent.html
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:05   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

US Patent 5255452, filed 1992, issued 1993

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5255452

Hmmm... it seems to mention just leaning forward, not sideways. Perhaps (probably) I remembered incorrectly. Oh ... I bet what I remembered is that some of the shots were from the sides of the dancers, so that their forward leans were toward the left or right of the screen. Or maybe the attachment swiveled.

Note the citations of ten earlier patents, the most recent (1991) of which was "especially suited for a low gravity environment". Moonwalk, indeed.

... and the earliest (1913) of which was "Ladder-gripping attachment for shoes".

And, to be fair, MJ was co-inventor along with two of his costume designers.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-06-27 at 00:31
Old 2009-06-27, 00:15   #7
axn

Jun 2003

2·2,719 Posts

Quote:
maybe I remember seeing that: multiple dancers all leaning waaayyy right and waaayyy left - either in unison or not -- maybe "Thriller"?)
Smooth criminal?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:24   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Smooth criminal?
Yup. Everyone's saying that's the one. (I don't have it.)
Old 2009-06-27, 01:57   #9
flouran

Dec 2008

34116 Posts
Default The impact of Michael Jackson's death on the Web

According to Wikipedia,
Quote:
News of Jackson's death spread quickly online, causing many websites to experience technical difficulties following the unanticipated swell of users. Google announced technical difficulties after a sudden increase in searches for "Michael Jackson" led the company to believe it was under attack from malicious hackers, while social networking site Twitter reported a crash after record numbers of users used the site to spread the news of Jackson's death.[178] AIM, an instant messaging service operated by America Online, collapsed for forty minutes.[179] The company called it a "seminal moment in Internet history" and added "We've never seen anything like it in terms of scope or depth."[179] Wikipedia also experienced technical difficulties, and crashed at 3:15 PDT, reportedly due to excessive edits and user overload.[167]
Old 2009-06-28, 01:30   #10
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
According to Wikipedia,
Detailed information about MJ's death, including the "Effect on Internet" paragraph, has now been copied/moved to a new separate article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Michael_Jackson

As for the effect (crashes of popular sites and such) itself: we seem to have established, in recent years, a new metric for popular cultural impact by an individual. Hmm... is there a website where someone is keeping track (of the Internet effects of sudden news about prominent individuals)?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-06-28 at 01:36
Old 2009-07-02, 16:14   #11
flouran

Dec 2008

11010000012 Posts
Talking Funny vid to lighten up the mood

Funny vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeC2X...eature=related