mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2023-01-23, 16:15   #815
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

5×17×139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Nice work! This is a useful sieve, hardly something to apologise for.

Gary, I'd like Storm5510 to feel like their job is complete- if you decide this needs more sieving, I'll be happy to run it to at least your desired level.
I ran a single instance of a sieve and LLR test on this using CPU software on an 8 core/8 thread I7-9700 machine with nothing else running in the background.

For the sieve, using sr2sieve's expected factors found, which is much more accurate than the actual factors found for determining removal rate, it came up with a removal rate of one every 332 secs.

For the LLR test, I ran it at 60% of the n-range on about a median k: 10068*897^189983-1 to be specific. After running for a couple minutes, the single iteration rate was 0.88 ms. Total iterations was ~1863550. So expected total test time was ~1640 secs.

So a rough estimate of optimum sieve depth for this machine is somewhat less than 1640 / 332 = 4.94 multiplied by the current sieve depth of 15e12. That comes out to ~74e12.

That method is always somewhat high until you get within roughly 20% of the optimum. I'm guessing optimum will be ~65e12 to 70e12 at this point.

I would sieve to 60e12 and then do the calculation once more.

If you have a GPU-based sieve process, you may want to use your removal rate instead.

I'm not asking you to do this. I can just post it as a partially sieved file.

My suggestion if you feel like running a sieve on a file that needs more sieving: Run R60. The file is on the reservations page. That was Storm's first effort and it was only sieved to 1e12. It is for the same n-range of 100k-250k. At 1e12, it needs more small P-range sieving than R897 does at this point but overall will likely be a smaller job. It's a much smaller base with fewer k's remaining so optimum sieve depth will be lower and it will likely get some testing interest in the near future once it is fully sieved.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2023-01-23 at 16:18
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-23, 18:06   #816
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

1001111000102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
The file has 284,871 terms in it, which is a lot more than your stated ~249,000 here. I checked above and you had 288,785 terms remaining at 1e13. So 284,871 seems reasonable for a 15e12 sieve and you made a misstatement here.

Let me know if I missed anything.
You used the contents of the sieve so you did not miss anything. Sorry for fudging the numbers. I wasn't feeling so great when I wrote it. Much better today. I rather enjoyed doing this while it lasted. It gave me something to think about and to learn.

Give me a few days and I might pick out something else to take a crack at.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words.

Update: If no one is running R42, I will take it. The reservation page indicates it has been ran to N=200e3. I will run it to 300e3. I will wait a day to start just in case anyone recommends any modifications.

Last fiddled with by storm5510 on 2023-01-23 at 18:34
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-23, 19:07   #817
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

5×17×139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
<snip>
Update: If no one is running R42, I will take it. The reservation page indicates it has been ran to N=200e3. I will run it to 300e3. I will wait a day to start just in case anyone recommends any modifications.
The word "run" in this context is ambiguous for our project. It usually means someone is going to test (LLR) a base. I assume you mean you are going to only sieve it. Is that correct?

I have a better idea: Pick up your partial sieve for R60 off of the reservations page and use it as input to your process to sieve it more. It's only sieved to 1e12 and needs plenty more. The optimum sieve depth for it is likely quite a bit less than for R897.

As for R42, if you really want to sieve it instead, please sieve 200e3 to 500e3. It is inefficient to sieve a range where the nmax is less than double the nmin. We usually go for more than double or even triple or more. We have often sieved 100e3 to 500e3 for files that we send to Yoyo since they can sieve so deeply very quickly.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-23, 23:48   #818
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2·5·11·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
The word "run" in this context is ambiguous for our project. It usually means someone is going to test (LLR) a base. I assume you mean you are going to only sieve it. Is that correct?

I have a better idea: Pick up your partial sieve for R60 off of the reservations page and use it as input to your process to sieve it more. It's only sieved to 1e12 and needs plenty more. The optimum sieve depth for it is likely quite a bit less than for R897.

As for R42, if you really want to sieve it instead, please sieve 200e3 to 500e3. It is inefficient to sieve a range where the nmax is less than double the nmin. We usually go for more than double or even triple or more. We have often sieved 100e3 to 500e3 for files that we send to Yoyo since they can sieve so deeply very quickly.
Actually, I could do both at the same time. R42 and R60. If you remember, I have multiple desktops here. 500e3 it will be for R42.

I will refrain from using "run" in the future.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 08:03   #819
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

2E2716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Actually, I could do both at the same time. R42 and R60. If you remember, I have multiple desktops here. 500e3 it will be for R42.

I will refrain from using "run" in the future.
Sieving both would be great!
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 15:05   #820
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2×32×313 Posts
Default

I'll give Storm a bit of time to decide what he wants to sieve next before I jump on R897. If R60 or R42 are short-ish, he may wish to resume R897 in a few weeks.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 16:00   #821
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2·5·11·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I'll give Storm a bit of time to decide what he wants to sieve next before I jump on R897. If R60 or R42 are short-ish, he may wish to resume R897 in a few weeks.
@VBCurtis: Go ahead and pick up R897 if you wish. My plate will be full for a while yet.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 16:28   #822
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
"Gary"
May 2007
Overland Park, KS

5·17·139 Posts
Default

I posted the R897 sieve on the reservations page with a note that it is partially sieved. So it can be picked up again anytime or not at all for a long time. :-)
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 00:32   #823
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2×5×11×23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I posted the R897 sieve on the reservations page with a note that it is partially sieved. So it can be picked up again anytime or not at all for a long time. :-)
About the above. You are changing some of these from ABCD format to plain text. This removes the download capability, at least with Edge. It opens them to read. I have yet to find a "Select All, Copy, and Paste" ability in Edge. If it is there, then it is really buried somewhere. Zip or 7z might be a better way to go.

Just a thought...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 04:16   #824
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2×32×313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I have yet to find a "Select All, Copy, and Paste" ability in Edge.
ctrl-a , ctrl-c , ctrl-v
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 05:19   #825
kar_bon
 
kar_bon's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Germany

2,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I have yet to find a "Select All, Copy, and Paste" ability in Edge.
RMB -> Link save as : possible for both ZIP and TXT as usual like other browsers, too.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sieving Drive all base 2/4 k's worked by CRUS gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 143 2014-10-21 23:55
Some CRUS stats vmod Conjectures 'R Us 213 2014-02-28 21:23
What are your CRUS plans? rogue Conjectures 'R Us 35 2013-11-09 09:03
CRUS-like sieving challenge CRGreathouse Puzzles 24 2011-10-28 18:30
how high will CRUS go TimSorbet Conjectures 'R Us 1 2010-11-08 20:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:47.


Thu Feb 2 00:47:09 UTC 2023 up 167 days, 22:15, 1 user, load averages: 0.82, 0.88, 0.95

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔