mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-11-28, 22:10   #463
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3·11·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Ok, thanks.

I did check for a new version before posting, but I checked in post #1 in this thread which links to:
https://mersenneforum.org/rogue/mtsieve.html

and that page still has link to mtsieve 1.9.6, maybe add the sourceforge link to that page?



https://sourceforge.net/projects/mts....6.7z/download
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 00:00   #464
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

189216 Posts
Default

I updated the html months ago, but apparently never posted it. The mtsieve home page has been updated.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 06:46   #465
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

17×181 Posts
Default

fkbnsieve v1.3 (mtsieve 2.0.6) works, but seems very slow compared to when I used it before. The p=3 step is running very slowly even with c-ranges of a few million only removing a few thousands factors per second.

Code:
fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 1000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 972437.  Remaining terms: 27563.  Time: 48.53 seconds.

fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 2000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 1944946.  Remaining terms: 55054.  Time: 190.56 seconds.

fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 4000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 3889879.  Remaining terms: 110121.  Time: 758.98 seconds.

fkbnsieve v1.1:
fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 4000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336328.  Factors found: 972437.  Remaining terms: 27563.  Time: 1.73 seconds.

This last one taking 758.98s takes only 1.73s in fkbnsieve v1.1 (mtsieve 1.8.4)

I'll just use fkbnsieve v1.1 for now, but I wanted to report it in case it is a bug.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2020-11-29 at 06:57
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 14:21   #466
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×5×17×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
fkbnsieve v1.3 (mtsieve 2.0.6) works, but seems very slow compared to when I used it before. The p=3 step is running very slowly even with c-ranges of a few million only removing a few thousands factors per second.

Code:
fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 1000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 972437.  Remaining terms: 27563.  Time: 48.53 seconds.

fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 2000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 1944946.  Remaining terms: 55054.  Time: 190.56 seconds.

fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 4000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336332.  Factors found: 3889879.  Remaining terms: 110121.  Time: 758.98 seconds.

fkbnsieve v1.1:
fkbnsieve.exe -c 1 -C 4000000 -P 400000000 -s "1*2^65+c"
Primes tested: 21336328.  Factors found: 972437.  Remaining terms: 27563.  Time: 1.73 seconds.

This last one taking 758.98s takes only 1.73s in fkbnsieve v1.1 (mtsieve 1.8.4)

I'll just use fkbnsieve v1.1 for now, but I wanted to report it in case it is a bug.
I will have to look into what changed. If I had to suspect anything I would suspect the the older version did not have working factor validation.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 21:17   #467
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

141910 Posts
Default

I cannot find fkbnsieve.exe in latest release ( in 7z file)
Also can srsieve2 sieve in parallel few sequences or just one by one?

Last fiddled with by pepi37 on 2020-11-29 at 21:30
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 22:21   #468
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

3×1,579 Posts
Default

If by "in parallel" you mean multi-threaded, yep.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 22:34   #469
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3×11×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
If by "in parallel" you mean multi-threaded, yep.

No :)
I mean to sieve few sequence in same time ( like I can with sr2sieve)
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 23:33   #470
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×5×17×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
No :)
I mean to sieve few sequence in same time ( like I can with sr2sieve)
Yes. You can use -s multiple times on the command line.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 23:39   #471
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·5·17·37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I will have to look into what changed. If I had to suspect anything I would suspect the the older version did not have working factor validation.
The slowdown is due to a change to the factor verification code. Previously it would compute k*b^n once regardless of how many c that are divisible by p. I changed to recompute k*b^n for each factor. The reason is that I wanted to guarantee the use of a different algorithm for the verification of a factor. I might be able to make changes to help on the speed, but I'll have to look into it.

In short, this will only impact you for small p. Once p > maxC - minC, the speed will be the same.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-29, 23:40   #472
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3·11·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Yes. You can use -s multiple times on the command line.

Great news! Save alot of time!
Thanks!
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-01, 22:12   #473
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

141910 Posts
Default

Rogue one suggestion for all sieve programs in mtsieve package.


When using with -I -A ( apply factors and exit) add simple logic to check is factors really factors.
I accidentally make wrong copy paste and srsieve2 remove candidate regardless fact ( because error) that was not good factor for that candidate.
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 04:50.

Tue Apr 20 04:50:19 UTC 2021 up 11 days, 23:31, 0 users, load averages: 3.17, 2.43, 2.55

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.