mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-12-04, 13:24   #12
rajula
 
rajula's Avatar
 
"Tapio Rajala"
Feb 2010
Finland

4738 Posts
Default

It is always nice to play with patterns, but I do not see how this thread fits the Math-section of the forum.

In order for this thread to belong to the section, the appearance of these patters should be justified, if not rigorously, at least heuristically to start a conversation. The other option would be to back up an observed pattern by later extensive numerical evidence, which is infeasible in this case.

Fitting relatively complex patterns to small data is called numerology, and it is not a field of mathematics.

What kind of discussion were you hoping for?
rajula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:29   #13
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·11·431 Posts
Default

#InBeforeMiscMath
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:45   #14
ProximaCentauri
 
ProximaCentauri's Avatar
 
"M49"
Dec 2014
Austria

308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajula View Post
It is always nice to play with patterns, but I do not see how this thread fits the Math-section of the forum.

In order for this thread to belong to the section, the appearance of these patters should be justified, if not rigorously, at least heuristically to start a conversation. The other option would be to back up an observed pattern by later extensive numerical evidence, which is infeasible in this case.

Fitting relatively complex patterns to small data is called numerology, and it is not a field of mathematics.

What kind of discussion were you hoping for?

I was not hoping for a special kind of discussion, just for answers to my questions!
But i guess these questions were far beyond the capabilities of today-mathematicians!

I still did not get any satisfying answer to my question, so I repeat it again!

Are the 8 starting numbers complete?
Why exactly these ones?

It´s up to the administrators to move this thread into another section of the mersenneforum!
ProximaCentauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:47   #15
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

33·347 Posts
Default

miscmath
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:49   #16
ProximaCentauri
 
ProximaCentauri's Avatar
 
"M49"
Dec 2014
Austria

23·3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
miscmath
Good idea, cuz RDS does not visit this section
ProximaCentauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:49   #17
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaCentauri View Post
Are the 8 starting numbers complete?
Why exactly these ones?

yes.
because they cover all possible remainders when dividing by 24 that could be prime.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 13:56   #18
ProximaCentauri
 
ProximaCentauri's Avatar
 
"M49"
Dec 2014
Austria

23·3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
yes.
because they cover all possible remainders when dividing by 24 that could be prime.
BINGO, science_man_88, you solved my puzzle first!


WELL DONE!

and Greetings to Canada
ProximaCentauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 14:00   #19
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaCentauri View Post
BINGO, science_man_88, you solved my puzzle first!


WELL DONE!

and Greetings to Canada
just because I was the first mention it does not mean I was the first to "solve" it.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 14:06   #20
ProximaCentauri
 
ProximaCentauri's Avatar
 
"M49"
Dec 2014
Austria

308 Posts
Default

You were the first to answer, the others were busy with ignorance and insults!
ProximaCentauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 14:37   #21
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
miscmath
Excellent suggestion.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 11:36   #22
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

23·232 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Excellent suggestion.
So was the OP's original puzzle.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prime Number Pattern, Probably not but have a look please. matthewsx7 Miscellaneous Math 21 2016-06-25 08:30
New Pattern Found in Mersenne Exponents PawnProver44 Miscellaneous Math 6 2016-03-11 22:52
Binary pattern in p for Mersenne prime 2p-1 TrdH Miscellaneous Math 41 2014-03-17 00:35
Mersenne(prime exponents) factorization science_man_88 Miscellaneous Math 3 2010-10-13 14:32
ECM on Mersenne numbers with prime exponents biwema Math 5 2004-04-21 04:44

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:22.

Thu Apr 15 00:22:01 UTC 2021 up 6 days, 19:02, 0 users, load averages: 2.28, 2.06, 1.97

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.