mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2006-11-16, 13:02   #1
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

2·17·73 Posts
Default GMP-ECM on Live-Linux?

Hence Windows won't let GMP-ECM use more than 2GB of memory (even after recompiling with MinGW after setting the 3GB switch on), I want to run it under Linux, but I want to keep windows on the PC (I use it for gaming on weekends).

A few questions:

I got Live-DVDs of Knoppix and Suse from a friend (recent versions each).

If I boot my PC with a Live-disc, can I access a folder on a windows-formatted partition of my harddisc to run ECM and read / write save-files?

Can I use a GMP-ECM which is compiled with MinGW on the same box, or do I have to recompile? (this question also adresses the 2GB issue)

Is it possible to use (or install and use) Firefox with a Live-Linux?
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 13:15   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

4,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi47 View Post
I want to run it under Linux, but I want to keep windows on the PC (I use it for gaming on weekends).
So make it dual-boot.
Quote:
If I boot my PC with a Live-disc, can I access a folder on a windows-formatted partition of my harddisc to run ECM and read / write save-files?
If I'm not mistaken, Linux can read/write on a FAT32 drive but only read on an NTFS drive.
Quote:
Is it possible to use (or install and use) Firefox with a Live-Linux?
It might be able to see a USB flash drive. If so, just put Portable Firefox on the USB drive and you can use Wine to run Firefox off the drive (Wine needed because Portable Firefox is natively a Windows app). Alternatively, do as I suggested earlier and dual-boot, then you just have to install Firefox normally.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2006-11-16 at 13:15 Reason: added Portable Firefox link
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 14:24   #3
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

2·17·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
So make it dual-boot.[/i]
How do I do this? I have got an installable Ubuntu (recent version) disk; my PC is running on Windows XP professional.
Andi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 14:45   #4
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

4,271 Posts

Quote:
How do I do this? I have got an installable Ubuntu (recent version) disk; my PC is running on Windows XP professional.
I'm not very experienced with Linux, but if you use the boot.ini file (used by NTLDR) in Windows and add your Linux installation to that, it should let you choose which to load when you boot your computer. Alternatively, have the Linux loader be on another drive, set the default in the BIOS to boot off of the Linux drive and just choose the Windows drive when you want to do gaming (I have something like this except vice versa, to where I have to choose when I want Linux to run).

Also, a quick search finds this tutorial on dual-booting Windows and Linux using GRUB (a Linux boot loader).
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 16:08   #5
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3·1,327 Posts

If I recall correctly, Ubunutu will allow you to shrink WinXP non-destructively (using parted) to allow room for Ubuntu. Before this is done, it is wise to backup Windows stuff, defrag Windows and calcultate how much space is going to be given over to Ubuntu. Ubuntu will install a boot loader (GRUB) on the disk; I use the master boot record. Ubuntu will pick up the Windows installation and put it on the boot menu. I guess for a Ubuntu installation you will need 1G (depending on your requirements), 5G for the system files under "/" and say another few gigs for users under "/home". So if you have a spare 10 Gigibyte that is not required by your windows installation then this approach is okay. I did an installation like this recently and it took about an hour -- was it expert or just normal? You just have to make the crucial dicisions when the partioning is happening, especially shrinking Windows and not formatting the ones you want to keep as they are. See some of the excellent guides there are on the net for installing Ubuntu 6.*

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2006-11-16 at 16:10
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 17:44   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3×1,327 Posts

Forgive me for my ellipsis: the 1G is for a linux swap partition, which is okay for some things -- for most number crunching physical RAM is much quicker.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote