mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2006-11-09, 17:36   #100
Ethan Hansen

Oct 2005

23×5 Posts

It is irksome that troels munkner still seems to be a celebrity after I have made two postings of trivial background on why and what the limits of his formula.

Allusions to wheel sieving aren't required to achieve celebrity status. Just make a series of conflicting and confused claims, sprinkle in obvious observations -- it is possible to define a set integers that are neither divisible by 2 nor 3, dust with howlers such as statements that 2, 3, and 5 are not prime numbers, and anyone can become a celebrity. Or circus sideshow act. I forget which.
Ethan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:42   #101
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2DA716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Hansen View Post
Allusions to wheel sieving aren't required to achieve celebrity status. Just make a series of conflicting and confused claims, sprinkle in obvious observations -- it is possible to define a set integers that are neither divisible by 2 nor 3, dust with howlers such as statements that 2, 3, and 5 are not prime numbers, and anyone can become a celebrity. Or circus sideshow act. I forget which.
You forgot, make cryptic allusions to unheard-of results, such as "I have come up with a marvelous one-line proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, but the margins of this forum posting are alas too small to contain it -- refer to the attached 10MB MS Word attachment which describes it in terms no one (except me) can understand"

Or, When in doubt, throw out the name of some established result whose relevance to your argument is utterly obscure but which is of a sufficiently specialized nature so as to convince some nontrivial percentage of readers that you actually have a clue as to what you're talking about, such as (say), "It follows from applying Wilson's theorem to the above [also extremely obscure but mathy-sounding] deductive logic sequence that M(M127) is prime".

Anyway, this gets my vote for "most useless 100+ post thread ever" - I'd say it even beats the dear departed "Word Association" and "Wrath of Queenie" Lounge threads in that regard. But it does have some (admittedly rather perverse) entertainment value.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:52   #102
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

46438 Posts

I think this thread badly needs a bunny with ten cookies on its head.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soba3.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1304  
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 20:05   #103
DJones

Oct 2006

73 Posts

What I'd like to know is why the first page of messages breaks at RDE's post on the 7th of November at 3:35 pm, whichever browser I'm using. I get the date and time of the post, then RDE, and then
Code:
vbmenu_register("postmenu_90869", true);
It does this in IE and Opera. All other threads seem fine. I'm assuming others don't have this problem as they successfully replied to the posts.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 20:13   #104
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

13×29×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
I think this thread badly needs a bunny with ten cookies on its head.
Gah -- when I first saw the picture, I thought I was looking at some kind of horrible bunny/cockroach genetic hybrid -- the horror, the horror...

Anyway, all this talk of killer mutant bunnies and primes excluding 2, 3 and 5 ... it's giving me the strangest feeling ... hmmm ... "3 shalt thou not count as prime, nor 2, excepting thou multipliest 2 and 3 together and addest one to obtain 7 ... 5 is right out" -- what does that remind me of? Oh yes, I've got it:

Scene 21

[clop clop clop] [whinny whinny]
GALAHAD: They're nervous, sire.
ARTHUR: Then we'd best leave them here and carry on on foot. Dis-mount!
TIM: Behold the cave of Caerbannog! [Cave of Caerbannog]
ARTHUR: Right! Keep me covered.
GALAHAD: What with?
ARTHUR: W-- just keep me covered.
TIM: Too late! [dramatic chord]
ARTHUR: What?
TIM: There he is!
ARTHUR: Where?
TIM: There!
ARTHUR: What, behind the rabbit?
TIM: It is the rabbit.
ARTHUR: You silly sod!
TIM: What?
ARTHUR: You got us all worked up!
TIM: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit!
ARTHUR: Ohh.
TIM: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
ROBIN: You tit! I soiled my armour I was so scared!
TIM: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
GALAHAD: Get stuffed!
TIM: He'll do you up a treat, mate.
GALAHAD: Oh, yeah?
ROBIN: You mangy Scots git!
TIM: I'm warning you!
ROBIN: What's he do, nibble your bum?
TIM He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!
ARTHUR: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!
BORS Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!
TIM: Look! [squeak]
BORS: Aaaugh!: [Bors gets his head bitten off] [dramatic chord] [clunk]
ARTHUR: Jesus Christ!
TIM: I warned you!
ROBIN: I done it again!
TIM [The rabbit attacks]
I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it? Well, it's always the same. I always tell them--
ARTHUR: Oh, shut up!
TIM: Do they listen to me?
ARTHUR: Right!
TIM: Oh, no...
KNIGHTS: Charge! [squeak squeak squeak]
KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh!, Aaaugh!, etc.
ARTHUR: Run away! Run away! [Run Away!]
KNIGHTS: Run away! Run away!...
TIM: Ha ha ha ha! Ha haw haw! Ha! Ha ha!
ARTHUR: Right. How many did we lose?
LAUNCELOT: Gawain.
GALAHAD: Ector.
ARTHUR: And Bors. That's five.
GALAHAD: Three, sir.
ARTHUR: Three. Three. And we'd better not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.
ROBIN: Would it help to confuse it if we run away more?
ARTHUR: Oh, shut up and go and change your armour.
GALAHAD: Let us taunt it! It may become so cross that it will make a mistake.
ARTHUR: Like what?
GALAHAD: Well... ooh.
LAUNCELOT: Have we got bows?
ARTHUR: No.
LAUNCELOT: We have the Holy Hand Grenade.
ARTHUR [Brother Maynard with the Grenade]
Yes, of course! The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Maynard carries with him! Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade!
MONKS: [chanting] Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.
ARTHUR: How does it, um-- how does it work?
LAUNCELOT: I know not, my liege.
ARTHUR: Consult the Book of Armaments!
BROTHER MAYNARD [Book of Armaments]
Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one.
SECOND BROTHER
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--
MAYNARD: Skip a bit, Brother.
SECOND BROTHER
And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number [Arthur about to throw the grenade] three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
MAYNARD: Amen.
KNIGHTS: Amen.
ARTHUR: Right! One!... Two!... Five!
GALAHAD: Three, sir!
ARTHUR: Three! [angels sing] [boom]

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2006-11-09 at 20:18
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 13:08   #105
Damian

May 2005
Argentina

2×3×31 Posts
Default Hello

I come to float.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carlitox.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1307  
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-23, 18:04   #106
m_f_h

Feb 2007

24·33 Posts
Default New prime theorem in The rabbit of Caerbannog

I didn't suspect the holy grail telling about new prime theorems.
That's quite interesting - Indeed, the second brother seems to read exactly the cited theorem(?) from the cited book. Amazing.
Too bad the grenade explodes before the theorem is stated completely.
And once again, as so often in our history, it's because a military (Galahad) did not understand basic logic (three is NOT a prime and should not have been pronounced), and the leader (Arthur) followed his military's suggestion without thinking twice.
(Or did I miss something ?)
Anyway, no doubt we /could/ learn something from that episode...
m_f_h is offline   Reply With Quote