Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2013-02-10, 22:42   #1
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts
Default Power Supply Failure

So I had a system start failing two days ago. It actually is the first system I put together for use with G72. It has been running straight for over a year with exception of the usual cleaning.

I figured it was just in need of a good cleaning because I would find the system would still be on and still running, but it was completely unresponsive. The monitor would go black and it was not accessible via remote. I could tell the TF and P-1 work wasn't still going because it was cool(er).

I re-seated everything, that didn't work. So I ran just the TF for a whole day and everything was fine. That's when I figured the RAM must be going bad since P95 uses so much for stage 2. I ran a full run of memtest86+ with no errors, and though that doesn't mean nothing is wrong, it is a good indicator that the ram is ok. So I restarted the machine and tried TF and P-1 again... it locked up almost immediately.

That's when I decided to tear it down, clean everything really well and put it back together. I've had a new Zalman heatsink/fan for the GPU that I needed to install for 6 months anyway, so I figured now was a good time.

Everything was looking normal until I pulled the power supply out. I noticed it smelled a bit hot when I was working around it and when I actually got it removed it was so hot I could hardly touch it. (Remember it was only on for a few minutes). Finally, the answer - one of the blades had broken off the fan inside of the power supply and lodged itself between the fan and the components inside. Not only was the fan lopsided, but it wasn't even turning because it was stuck. So the system was locking up because the power supply was overheating. I replaced it with a spare power supply I have in case something like this happens and the system is back running perfectly.

So, has anyone ever had a blade break off from a fan that is inside of a power supply? I can't even imagine how that could have happened? The power supply is a 1050W and I only have an AMD x6 1055T and one GTX 580 on it - that shouldn't have overtaxed the power supply. What's worse is it's still under warranty but I'm not sure I can actually convince them that I really didn't do anything to break it. The system sits in the basement with no human interaction for weeks at a time. Who knows what happened?
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 22:54   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

224608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
So, has anyone ever had a blade break off from a fan that is inside of a power supply?
I think you might be the first person here ever to have experienced a "rotor burst"...

Unlike a certain person, I'll instead refer you to an excellent and very enjoyable book.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 23:06   #3
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

11001010002 Posts
Default I have not heard of it terms of a computer fan

However plastic being what it is cracking is not unheard of..... Could be a whole batch of them are defective and you will get your warranty.
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 23:06   #4
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts

I've had an Intel stock cooler fan throw a blade. I assume that the stresses involved (especially at more or less full bore) will find any tiny manufacturing defects given time.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 00:19   #5
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

19B16 Posts

I have never had a fan blade break on me, though I watercool so the only fans I have are on the power supply and the radiator. That sounds pretty dangerous, having a power supply with a fan blade wedged into it.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 01:51   #6
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22·2,347 Posts

I had once dropped a bolt into the PSU. (while cleaning the comp; everything was off). The bolt wouldn't get convinced to come out by persuasive shaking...

So I thought that it was not worth the risk to do nothing and disassembled (cleaned out a lot of dust along the way, too). The internal fan is similar to many standard ones - I bet you can replace it with a well-matched for size fan for 5 or 10 bucks (a fancy one, Scythe or something!).
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 01:52   #7
Redarm

Apr 2012
Berlin Germany

3·17 Posts

Quote:
The power supply is a 1050W and I only have an AMD x6 1055T and one GTX 580 on it

wth, do you want to upgrade with additional 580s ?
was the power supply a quality product? (>180 $)

Last fiddled with by Redarm on 2013-02-11 at 02:02
Redarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 02:21   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

17·19·29 Posts

Quote:
So, has anyone ever had a blade break off from a fan that is inside of a power supply?
No, but other fans, not inside power supplies, used to throw out blades together with small pieces of our fingernails, or tips of the screwdriver, occasionally...
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 02:46   #9
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarm View Post
wth, do you want to upgrade with additional 580s ?
was the power supply a quality product? (>180 $)
Occasionally I would run dual 580s, but it's been a while (it actually started as dual 5870s). This PSU was purchased to run my main system that has dual Opteron 6272s. The reason was that I was planning on dual 580s along with the ECC memory for a really high-end system. It didn't work out and the PSU ended up in this system.

It's a Mushkin MKNPSJL1000. I originally paid $160 for it. It's been a great unit, until now.

As for actually changing the fan, I can (and will), if Mushkin won't do a warranty repair/replacement. I just don't want to void the warranty until I try that route first. Plus, I'm hoping that they'll do a good full-load test on it to make sure nothing else went wrong while it was over heating.

As for future use, once I get moved and set everything back up I'm going to downsize main systems but still try for several 580s. I figure using a system with 3 or 4 PCIe slots will work. I'm not sure this will do the full wattage I need, but I'll cross that bridge later.
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 04:30   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100100100101112 Posts

Quote:
Plus, I'm hoping that they'll do a good full-load test on it to make sure nothing else went wrong while it was over heating.
This is a very good and intelligent thing to do! You may pursue them to test it, even if they claim is out of warranty.
I was almost to suggest that changing the fan may not be enough, after the PS was overheated.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-02-11 at 04:31
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 15:41   #11
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
I have never had a fan blade break on me
Neither had I, or on any of my power supplies...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote