mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-02-07, 19:29   #34
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×3×52×17 Posts

Loose solid rock salt (mined, crushed mostly sodium chloride) sprinkled on roadways by dispensers on the back of dump trucks is not very effective application. Some of it bounces directly off the pavement, and more is scattered by tires of following vehicles, from where it is most useful, to where it is least useful. Depositing brine in stripes that dries onto the pavement ahead of a storm is more effective use of the salt; it stays where it will be later useful, allowing equal effectiveness for much less salt introduced into the environment. It also has a lot of surface area per unit mass so is effective quicker. Groundwater and ecosystems are being affected by road salt use. https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/1...s-environment/

Salted sand is used at low temperatures when salt is not very effective, or completely ineffective, and also as a substitute to reduce the corrosive and ecological effects of salt. Sand costs less than salt. Some salt in the sand is beneficial as it usually prevents wet sand from freezing into big clumps before application to the road. If it's too cold for that to work, we should probably stay home if possible. https://www.cargill.com/at-what-temp...t-stop-working

It's a safe bet they're not using calcium carbide on roadways. That produces acetylene gas when reacted with water on contact, and is far more costly.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-02-07 at 19:46
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 19:46   #35
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

11×971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
It's a safe bet they're not using calcium carbide on roadways. That produces acetylene gas when reacted with water.
As well as being far too expensive to manufacture and use in bulk.

CaCl2, OTOH, is a largely useless industrial by-product of the Solvay process.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-02-07 at 19:47 Reason: s/to/too/
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 00:42   #36
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·31·73 Posts

It looks like it's not snowing in most of the Netherlands now. A lot of cold temperatures and some slippery icy roads, though. Looks like around -5 C (low 20's F) in a lot of the country. Maybe the canals can freeze over after all.

EDIT: The snowstorm in Germany made the news, with a mention of the Netherlands included. Heavy snowstorm pounds Germany, upends travel
Quote:
In the Netherlands, snow blanketed much of the country, forcing the government to cancel a weekly crisis meeting to discuss the coronavirus pandemic. Train services were suspended and Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport warned passengers of possible flight cancellations.

National broadcaster NOS showed images of an early morning snowball fight involving residents and police on Amsterdam's central Dam Square.

The Dutch meteorological office KNMI raised its weather warning to code red for the whole country.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-02-08 at 00:59 Reason: As indicated
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 00:47   #37
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

256216 Posts

Quote:
That produces acetylene gas when reacted with water on contact, and is far more costly.
Ah, the memories...

Blew out both my ear-drums (and placed iron-based shrapnel in my eyes at high speed) playing with that gas as a child.

I can replay that moment in my head at approximately 120 FPS (including the audio stream; the sudden blindness and audio buzz was quite immediate).

An experiment that went wrong as a child means I can't have an MRI to this day.

Sorry for the tangent...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 01:06   #38
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11AE16 Posts

Quote:
It's a safe bet they're not using calcium carbide on roadways. That produces acetylene gas when reacted with water on contact, and is far more costly.
The only use of any carbide on roadways I could think of was tire studs, which are made of tungsten carbide, an extremely hard material used in many implements of destruction. Studded tires can provide traction on ice or hard packed snow, but are so destructive to pavement, they're illegal in a number of states, and their use is limited in others.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 02:08   #39
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

3·5·72·13 Posts

Use of waste materials with like dried whey and other organic off casts have been used for roadway deicing. They perform similar function to salt, but are largely better for the surrounding biota. Decomposed granite (DG) and diatomaceous earth are spread for grippiness.

BTW, the way I heard it about Herr F., being an instrument maker, he knew that powers of 2 are easy to produce on a scale. 0 to 32 is one such number. 32 to 96 is another such number. (I have had to work with decimal feet. There are 96 1/8" in a foot. That is close enough that dealing with the extra 0.01 foot per 3" is easy.)
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 14:48   #40
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

194110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
..There is a treatment put on top of packed snow and ice on roads called "antiskid." It's something like very coarse sand, possibly with a little salt mixed in. It provides traction on top of packed snow or ice, but whatever hasn't already wound up off the road clogging the storm drains etc has to be cleaned off the pavement later on.
There's a big coal-fired power plant close to where I live. Many of the counties around go there to get loads of cinders to spread on snow-packed roads. It works somewhat. However, in the spring when the snow is gone and the roads are dry, the cinders can be as bad as Ice to drive on if a person gets too close to the edge of the roadway.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 18:50   #41
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

22×109 Posts

In my region, it all turned out fine.

As predicted we got a nice snow surface of ~20 cm in average (of course because of the wind it is 5cm in some places and 50cm in others). No ice rain except a little that fell on Saturday before the snowing started. Now we can enjoy the winter glory for at least a week since weather forecasts say that temperatures will stay below 0 degree Celsius. (but ok, yesterday it said that'ld be the case for at least 2 weeks)

Next night low is predicted to be -19 degree Celsius.

Last fiddled with by Till on 2021-02-09 at 18:53 Reason: next night temperature prediction
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 22:17   #42
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

110100010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
In my region, it all turned out fine.
Glad to hear you're OK!
No big problems here, either. And now that the storn has passed,
everyone is getting their ice skates out of storage.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 22:29   #43
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·5·11·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Glad to hear you're OK!
Indeed. Chaotic systems can be a bit to deal with as end products.

I raise beverage to you all, at approximately 0 degrees C.

H2O ice cubes take enthalpy to create.

Worth the investment, from time to time...

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2021-02-09 at 22:33 Reason: s/enthalpy/entropy/; # Trust me to get this wrong... 9-)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 02:58   #44
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

41×113 Posts
Default Warming up here

10 degrees warmer than yesterday.
NOTE: This is Celsius.
Attached Thumbnails