mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-04-17, 08:54   #144
Viliam Furik
 
"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

23×3×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
I'm running a P-1 in stage 2, and it's saying it's 100% complete, but it's still running and printing "100% complete" reports at the normal rate. Is there a data issue or is this a problem with the printout that can be safely ignored without compromising the validity of the data until a fix is posted?
This also happened to me a few times with older versions. So far nothing with the new versions. Which one are you using?
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 21:16   #145
Happy5214
 
Happy5214's Avatar
 
"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

60110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
This also happened to me a few times with older versions. So far nothing with the new versions. Which one are you using?
I was using build 1 of mprime 30.5. I upgraded to build 2 with the same results.
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:29   #146
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2×3×397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
I'm running a P-1 in stage 2, and it's saying it's 100% complete, but it's still running and printing "100% complete" reports at the normal rate. Is there a data issue or is this a problem with the printout that can be safely ignored without compromising the validity of the data until a fix is posted?
I've seen the same issue with stage 1 in earlier versions. Restarting the workers resolves the issue.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-18, 23:24   #147
Happy5214
 
Happy5214's Avatar
 
"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

60110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
I've seen the same issue with stage 1 in earlier versions. Restarting the workers resolves the issue.
That didn't help, nor did restarting mprime completely and resuming from there. Will mprime be able to figure out when this test is actually done, display issues aside, or do I need to restart the test/release the exponent?
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-19, 01:56   #148
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3×11×227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
That didn't help, nor did restarting mprime completely and resuming from there. Will mprime be able to figure out when this test is actually done, display issues aside, or do I need to restart the test/release the exponent?
Can you send the save file and worktodo.txt? Thanks.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 07:05   #149
Happy5214
 
Happy5214's Avatar
 
"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

11318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Can you send the save file and worktodo.txt? Thanks.
I don't have them anymore, because the assignment already finished and got uploaded to PrimeNet (no factor found). You got the PRP test (it was 103482079, for future reference). I'll send the files if/when it happens again with another exponent. Sorry for not being helpful.
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 00:40   #150
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·11·227 Posts
Default For the adventurous

Prime95 version 30.6 build 2 is available.

I consider the new features to be lightly tested. No need to upgrade unless you are doing ECM or care to try out the new P+1 factoring work.

You could be the first to find a new factor using P+1. I've tried about 10 times without success.

Think of P+1 as a special fast ECM curve -- same chances of success, several times faster than ECM, but you only get to do it once. My thoughts are to choose B1 well above the current B1's being handed out by the server for ECM. For the few exponents I tried in the 4.7M area, ECM is presently being done at B1=50K, I chose P+1 with B1=1M.

From whatsnew.txt:

Code:
1) P+1 factoring.  A worktodo.txt entry looks like this:
	Pplus1=k,b,n,c,B1,B2,nth_run[,how_far_factored][,"known_factors"]
   Unlike P-1, the fact that factors of Mersenne numbers is 1 mod 2p is of no value.
   Thus, P-1 is vastly more effective at finding factors.  A P+1 run is about as
   valuable as running one ECM curve.  P+1 stage 1 is 50% slower than P-1 stage 1
   but several times faster than ECM stage 1.  P+1 stage 2 is a little faster than
   P-1 stage 2 which in turn is a little faster than ECM stage 2.
   Unlike P-1, P+1 has only a 50% chance of finding a factor if factor+1 is B1/B2 smooth.
   Thus, it makes sense to do 1 or 2 (maybe 3) runs.  That is what the nth_run argument is for.
   There are two special starting values for P+1 that have a slightly higher chance of
   finding a factor.  These special starting values correspond to nth_run=1 and nth_run=2.
   Like P-1, if how_far_factored is specified, prime95 will ignore B2 and calculate the
   best B2 value for the given B1.
2) Faster ECM stage 1 when factoring exponents near the limit of an FFT size.
3) Gwnum library new functions give a programmer more tools to reduce normalized adds.
   A tutorial.txt file is now available to help a programmer use the gwnum library.
Download links:

Before downloading, make sure prime.spl is uploaded to the server. There is a bug reading spool files created by previous versions.

Windows 64-bit: https://mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v306b2.win64.zip
Linux 64-bit: https://mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/...linux64.tar.gz

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2021-04-23 at 05:12
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 02:24   #151
masser
 
masser's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
wear a mask

1,609 Posts
Default

George, this is excellent. Thank you!

Would it be possible to add another value to nth_flag, like -1, that signals to the code to run each of the (2, 3?) starting seeds? Also, it's not clear how to make the code do 3 distinct runs on the same number with the same bounds.

Last fiddled with by masser on 2021-04-21 at 02:28 Reason: I guess I should try nth_run = 3...
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 02:42   #152
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·11·227 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
George, this is excellent. Thank you!

Would it be possible to add another value to nth_flag, like -1, that signals to the code to run each of the (2, 3?) starting seeds? Also, it's not clear how to make the code do 3 distinct runs on the same number with the same bounds.
Yes, nth_run=3 selects a random starting value.

Given the massive number of exponents in need of P+1, I recommend not doing two P+1 runs on the same exponent. That said, do whatever you find fun.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 04:17   #153
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

2·3·827 Posts
Default

Is the server set up to handle P+1 result submissions (both "no factor" as well as "factor found")?

Is mersenne.ca?

Last fiddled with by axn on 2021-04-21 at 04:17
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 04:49   #154
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

25·3·5·7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Is the server set up to handle P+1 result submissions (both "no factor" as well as "factor found")?
Is mersenne.ca?
Yes, and yes. Largely untested in both cases of course, so let me know if you find something not working as it should.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 00:03.

Wed May 12 00:03:58 UTC 2021 up 33 days, 18:44, 0 users, load averages: 4.39, 3.96, 3.66

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.