mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2021-01-24, 01:06   #166
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2×971 Posts

Let us jump over the pole for a minute. Russia: A Putin opposition leader recently released was detained a short time later. Throngs of people have taken to the streets in many locations, so I read. I would say they are tired of him, or someone close, rewriting the rules so he can stay in power.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 15:00   #167
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·17·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...Perhaps "Dude. Look in the mirror." is too facile...
There is no way for me to express my hatred of the word above in bold red. Most men do not take to it well at all.
I had no idea you were Tucker Carlson!

But if he were to take additional offense because I addressed him as "dude," so much the better.

I'm not aware of "dude" actually being an epithet or insulting. It is slang, and indicates a high degree of informality, and perhaps youth. It would be inappropriate to address your boss as "dude," unless your followup was "you can take this job and shove it" or words to that effect. It is generic, and increasingly unisex. One might refer to an unknown individual in the third person as "that dude." Someone a lot younger than I am might address someone they know as "dude" if they had known them a long time, or if they were doing, or proposing to do, something out of character, foolish or dangerous.

In the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century, especially in the Western US, "dude" meant a city-dweller, or someone inordinately preoccupied with looking stylish or fashionable; a "dandy." Someone dressed like a dude or a dandy, was "duded up." A ranch frequented by dressed-up tourists was a "dude ranch."

Another answer to Tucker Carlson's "Can somebody tell us in very clear language what a White supremacist is?" might be, "Look in the mirror, my friend."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 22:29   #168
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·5·307 Posts

Quote:
Another answer to Tucker Carlson's "Can somebody tell us in very clear language what a White supremacist is?" might be, "Look in the mirror, dude."
FTFY
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-25, 03:33   #169
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

5·1,889 Posts

After the professor in the Uni class splits the apple with a katana:

Student in the first row: "Dude, that was awesome!"
Professor: "Yeah, but you know something? It is 'Professor, dude', dude."
(Chuck Norris, in "President's Man")
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-25, 13:17   #170
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

106738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
After the professor in the Uni class splits the apple with a katana:

Student in the first row: "Dude, that was awesome!"
Professor: "Yeah, but you know something? It is 'Professor, dude' Kiri-sute gomen, dude."
(Chuck Norris, in "President's Man")
FTFY
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-25, 16:40   #171
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2·971 Posts

Quote:
I had no idea you were Tucker Carlson!

But if he were to take additional offense because I addressed him as "dude," so much the better.

I'm not aware of "dude" actually being an epithet or insulting. It is slang, and indicates a high degree of informality, and perhaps youth. It would be inappropriate to address your boss as "dude," unless your followup was "you can take this job and shove it" or words to that effect. It is generic, and increasingly unisex. One might refer to an unknown individual in the third person as "that dude." Someone a lot younger than I am might address someone they know as "dude" if they had known them a long time, or if they were doing, or proposing to do, something out of character, foolish or dangerous.
Tucker Carlson. I had no idea who this was until I "googled" the name. I do not watch TV news, period.

As for the paragraph below, I understand it, but it does not mean I have to like it.
Old 2021-01-25, 17:40   #172
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3·1,051 Posts

Tucker Carlson is not a journalist, he is a personality if not a celebrity. He is just a highly politicized version of a talk show in prime time. If you remove the politics he is no different than the reality hosts on the Tonight Show, Ellen Degeneres, Jerry Springer, etc.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 19:14   #173
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

2·971 Posts

I saw yesterday where Putin has manipulated their system so he can stay in office until 2036. Why are so many putting up with this?