Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2005-08-16, 11:00   #1
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts
Default Zimmermans page uptodate?

http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/ecmnet/FAQ.html

Is the recommended B1-value still 3000000??
Are there any instructions for us poor Windoze users??
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-16, 11:38   #2
trilliwig

Oct 2004
tropical Massachusetts

1058 Posts

The recommended value depends on the size of the factor you wish to find. The current table of recommended values is at http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/records/ecm/params.html.

Since we don't know the size of the factors before we find them, we usually run the recommended number of curves with the B1 bound recommended for, say, the 20-digit level, and if no factor is found, we raise the B1 bound to the recommended value for the 25-digit level and run the recommended number of curves there. The rule of thumb on when to give up is after doing curves up to 1/3 the size of the input number, or if SNFS is possible on the input number, up to 2/9 its SNFS difficulty. So for a 120-digit number, I would only do ECM up to the 40-digit level (and then run QS or GNFS on it), or if it has an SNFS representation and SNFS difficulty 150, I would only do ECM up to the 35-digit level.

There doesn't need to be specific instructions for Windows; the strategy for finding factors works the same regardless of OS. Each run of ECM only does one curve by default; you'll need to run it again or use the -c parameter if you want to run more than one curve. The page you linked has a nice batch file (Windows script file) for automation of this process though.

--
Sam
trilliwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-16, 13:25   #3
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

Thanks for replying!
But how do I get the ecmloop.bat? When I click it I get mailprints and all sorts of programmerstuff!

BTW: I haven't got a clue about SNFS/QS/GNFS. Can you link to someplace which explain what it is and how you do it (in plain english if possible)?

BTW II: It would be wise of Zimmerman to update his FAQ since the link to the "optimal parameters" points the wrong place
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-16, 15:12   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11001110000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
Thanks for replying!
But how do I get the ecmloop.bat? When I click it I get mailprints and all sorts of programmerstuff!

BTW: I haven't got a clue about SNFS/QS/GNFS. Can you link to someplace which explain what it is and how you do it (in plain english if possible)?

BTW II: It would be wise of Zimmerman to update his FAQ since the link to the "optimal parameters" points the wrong place
The "-c" operand works similar to ecmloop.bat. If Paul has a bad link, you can contact him yourself, he won't bite...
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-25, 02:30   #5
trilliwig

Oct 2004
tropical Massachusetts

3·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...merance+sieves
trilliwig is offline   Reply With Quote