mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2003-08-14, 12:30   #12
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3·191 Posts

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions! Now I feel more prepared for when someone finally comes to look at it. I'll keep you posted! :)

Mark
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-08-14, 12:37   #13
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

29×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr
Device manager mentions Intel 845 chipset.
Check if it is 845G. Those have on-board video. But from the benchies you provided, I would look for a throttling problem. Don´t you have the means to measure the CPU temp?
lycorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-08-28, 01:15   #14
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3×191 Posts

All fixed now!
The cause was improper re-installation of the heatsink - I think the tech was saying that there was a plate (would that be a heat spreader??) that should have been attached to the chip, but had stayed with the heatsink.

So there must have been substantial throttling. I suspected it, but everything that I could install (I haven't administrator rights...) showed the normal 1.8GHz. And I couldn't find anything I could install to show the temperature.

Then I read the x-bit labs article xyzzy gave a link to in another thread:
Quote:
For example, we overclock a Pentium 4 2.2GHz to 2.8GHz, but don't improve the cooling. In this case the CPU temperature quickly gets above the critical value and Thermal Monitor unleashes Thermal Control Circuit: the CPU starts missing out clock cycles. As a result, the user will see during boot-up and in WCPUid-like programs that the CPU is at 2.8GHz, although the effective performance of the processor may be even lower than that of Pentium 4 2.2GHz.
Again, many thanks for your help!
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-02, 10:20   #15
czolus

Sep 2003

916 Posts

Yeah, the nature of clock throttling is to oscillate the duty cycle so fast that the realtime clock monitors don't have a clue that a beat's been missed. The only way to really tell is to have a system driver read the msr's for the clock throttling trip flag and then do some calculations, etc, etc. Very irritating.
czolus is offline   Reply With Quote