mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-12-28, 00:16   #45
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22×1,481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I'd have to run a SQL query for the full list. It included discoverers of past Mersenne primes, Scott, myself, Aaron, Ernst, Chris Caldwell, Richard Crandall, and a few others. Just enough to go over 1023 characters.
Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 00:21   #46
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

263768 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.
Sheesh, already 5 years on ... but agreed, "E's singin' in the choir invisible!" would seem reasonable grounds for removal from the distrib list.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 00:23   #47
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

52·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.
It definitely needs pruning.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 00:43   #48
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1C0316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.
I just looked. The answer is nope. I just did some cleanup, removing about 5 names, adding about 4. I'm missing the email addresses of some previous Mersenne discoverers.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 00:52   #49
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011001100102 Posts
Default

I'm putting my money on ##,###,#17 ;)
Mark Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 02:29   #50
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I just looked. The answer is nope. I just did some cleanup, removing about 5 names, adding about 4. I'm missing the email addresses of some previous Mersenne discoverers.
Did the resulting set pass the 2^10 character limit?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 02:34   #51
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

71×101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Did the resulting set pass the 2^10 character limit?
I don't know. James says he fixed that. We need to find another prime to test that fix :)

I suppose we code try to code up a test case that sent it to several dummy addresses plus Aaron and myself.... Given our PHP prowess we'd probably mess that up too.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 02:44   #52
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2CFE16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I don't know. James says he fixed that. We need to find another prime to test that fix :)

I suppose we code try to code up a test case that sent it to several dummy addresses plus Aaron and myself.... Given our PHP prowess we'd probably mess that up too.
Is there a way to trigger the system to try to send a test-message to the current recipient list? If so, could the system's e-mail access to the outside world be temporarily suspended, the test-message triggered, and the location where the system stashes messages whose delivery cannot be currently completed examined? If the message appears there it could be deleted and e-mail-access-to-outside-world restored. [Not an IT person, but ISTR this should work based on my long-ago IT-hackage on my old DEC OS X box.]
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 03:07   #53
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100100011000102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
If so, could the system's e-mail access to the outside world be temporarily suspended, the test-message triggered, and the location where the system stashes messages whose delivery cannot be currently completed examined?
OMG! No!!! Don't mess with the MTA! Work "in situ".

Just set up a bunch of "throwaway" addresses, and trigger on those.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 03:22   #54
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

286610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
OMG! No!!! Don't mess with the MTA! Work "in situ".

Just set up a bunch of "throwaway" addresses, and trigger on those.
Or if you use gmail, you can always do the whoever+randomthing@gmail.com trick. Many other mail providers have a smilar feature, perhaps using a different character.
Mark Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 04:35   #55
airsquirrels
 
airsquirrels's Avatar
 
"David"
Jul 2015
Ohio

11·47 Posts
Default

I’m just here to say hurrah for a (potential) new prime.

Alas I am both late to the party, and haven’t kept up with the latest overpriced NVIDIA cards so I can’t offer anything unique to the verification efforts. And since it sounds like the initial run was on CUDA, a non-GPU verification is probably best.
airsquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merry Christmas everyone ... petrw1 Lounge 26 2013-01-02 23:01
Merry Christmas Everyone petrw1 Lounge 1 2010-12-25 07:54
Merry Christmas Everyone.... petrw1 Lounge 8 2009-12-25 16:09
Merry Christmas! Prime95 Lounge 17 2006-12-26 19:31
Merry Christmas ltd Prime Sierpinski Project 3 2004-12-31 07:31

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:43.

Thu Oct 1 01:43:38 UTC 2020 up 20 days, 22:54, 1 user, load averages: 1.28, 1.39, 1.52

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.