mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-10, 10:00   #1
firejuggler
 
firejuggler's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

97616 Posts
Default AMD Radeon R9 295X2

Not for the faint of heart, is liquified by an hydra.
500 Watt... for the GPU alone.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 11:30   #2
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

17×19×31 Posts
Default Another brief story

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
http://www.gizmag.com/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-gpu/31548/
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:26   #3
kracker
ἀβουλία
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

5×433 Posts
Default

I wonder how much it can produce.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:36   #4
tapion64
 
Apr 2014

1258 Posts
Default

mersenne.ca says it'll rate around 1229.4 GHz-days/day. I'm planning on picking one up, but I need to upgrade my 700W PSU to a 1500W PSU. ~$1900 for both. A whole paycheck man.
tapion64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:42   #5
kracker
ἀβουλία
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

5×433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapion64 View Post
mersenne.ca says it'll rate around 1229.4 GHz-days/day. I'm planning on picking one up, but I need to upgrade my 700W PSU to a 1500W PSU. ~$1900 for both. A whole paycheck man.
hmm... what do you have in your system?
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 17:33   #6
tapion64
 
Apr 2014

5·17 Posts
Default

A decent AMD motherboard with AM3 socket holding a Phenom X4 965 3.4GHz, a SATA 6 Gb/s 1 TB hard drive, 12 GB (4 GB x 2 + 2GB x 2) 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, a GTX 560 Ti, and the aforementioned 700W PSU. All pretty state of the art when I built it in 2011, aside from the PSU, but it was cheap. $800 or so for the lot with awesome mid size case. I knew the first thing I was going to do when I got around to upgrading was buy a better PSU. Still debating if I should keep the 560 in the machine with the 295x2... I have lots of fans in it and the card has two fans on its own, but I fear 500W 295x2 + 300W (I think?) from the 560 will be too much without additional fans/cooling solution.
tapion64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 17:47   #7
kracker
ἀβουλία
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

5×433 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapion64 View Post
A decent AMD motherboard with AM3 socket holding a Phenom X4 965 3.4GHz, a SATA 6 Gb/s 1 TB hard drive, 12 GB (4 GB x 2 + 2GB x 2) 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, a GTX 560 Ti, and the aforementioned 700W PSU. All pretty state of the art when I built it in 2011, aside from the PSU, but it was cheap. $800 or so for the lot with awesome mid size case. I knew the first thing I was going to do when I got around to upgrading was buy a better PSU. Still debating if I should keep the 560 in the machine with the 295x2... I have lots of fans in it and the card has two fans on its own, but I fear 500W 295x2 + 300W (I think?) from the 560 will be too much without additional fans/cooling solution.
I would say replace the 560 with the 295x... a 1000W PSU should be fine, I think.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 18:27   #8
tapion64
 
Apr 2014

5×17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
I would say replace the 560 with the 295x... a 1000W PSU should be fine, I think.
Some of the reviews I read recommended atleast 1200W, and by then the price difference between 1200W and 1500-1600W isn't even that big. Might as well future proof if I end up wanting to crossfire this beast of a dual card.
tapion64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 22:46   #9
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

234358 Posts
Default

I don't think a 560 is anywhere near 300 W.
http://www.mersenne.ca/mfaktc.php?sort=ghdpd&noA=1

What effect would the liquid cooling on the AMD card have on case temps? That should keep a good bit of heat out of general circulation. What kind of ventilation does the 560 have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gtx 560.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	11024  
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 01:27   #10
tapion64
 
Apr 2014

5×17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I don't think a 560 is anywhere near 300 W.
http://www.mersenne.ca/mfaktc.php?sort=ghdpd&noA=1

What effect would the liquid cooling on the AMD card have on case temps? That should keep a good bit of heat out of general circulation. What kind of ventilation does the 560 have?
No idea really, never used isolated liquid cooling (or liquid cooling at all, always been a fan guy). My source said peak 300W for the 560 Ti when doing high intensity stuff, weird. The GTX has two fans on the card itself, and there's a lot of space inside the case right now since it's mid-size. One side of the case is grated so there's some airflow, and there's one 120 mm fan and two 200 mm fans inside the case. I suppose the best thing to do is try it without the 560 inside and check temps, compare and see if it's already too hot.
tapion64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 03:14   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

8,761 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
What effect would the liquid cooling on the AMD card have on case temps?
Bad one effect, maybe? You may (or may not) need an additional fan to cool down some parts of the mobo. For example, since I switched to water for the CPU and 2x580s on one of my rigs, I start getting problems with the memories and one of the chipsets. The problem was that the air circulation in the case was bad, due to removing the big fans of the cpu cooler. Before, these fans were blowing a lot of (warm) air around, cooling the memories and the mobo too. After installing the water cooling, the memories especially started getting very hot. The problem escaped for a while, as there is no thermal detection for "memories temperature". Until my second neuron in my head started to function, and I moved one thermocouple (the mobo has 3 thermocouples, each with about 40 cm of wire) close to the memory slots. Then I understood the problem and I mounted a small 5 cm fan to blow there. Everything was fine again.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-04-11 at 03:18
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best project to run on a Radeon RX 480? jasong GPU Computing 0 2016-11-09 04:32
Radeon Pro Duo 0PolarBearsHere GPU Computing 0 2016-03-15 01:32
Radeon R9 290X Review, new GPU firejuggler Hardware 50 2014-01-02 02:25
AMD Radeon R9 290X Hawaii kracker GPU Computing 0 2013-09-23 00:14
Radeon hd 77xx benchmarks? kracker GPU Computing 2 2012-06-12 15:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:42.

Thu Oct 1 08:42:08 UTC 2020 up 21 days, 5:53, 0 users, load averages: 1.75, 1.66, 1.62

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.