mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math > Number Theory Discussion Group

Old 2020-07-18, 19:17   #1
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

23×7 Posts
Default Factors of Euler Totient Function of sum/difference of prime powers

It appears that for prime p and q, p>= q, \phi\left(p^{n} \pm q^{n}\right) is divisible by (often a high power of) n. The power of n seems to increase with the number of distinct prime factors of n. Is this true in general?
mickfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-18, 20:28   #2
R. Gerbicz

"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

57616 Posts

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zsigmondy%27s_theorem
and you don't need that p,q are primes, check me, but with few exception this should be working, since there is a prime r for that r | a^n-b^n but doesn't divide for smaller exponent, hence ord(a/b)=n|r-1=eulerphi(r)|eulerphi(a^n-b^n), what was needed. (as I said in general there is a few exception).
R. Gerbicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 08:04   #3
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

5610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Gerbicz View Post
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zsigmondy%27s_theorem
and you don't need that p,q are primes, check me, but with few exception this should be working, since there is a prime r for that r | a^n-b^n but doesn't divide for smaller exponent, hence ord(a/b)=n|r-1=eulerphi(r)|eulerphi(a^n-b^n), what was needed. (as I said in general there is a few exception).
Thanks for the reply, Robert. I don't think this is quite what I'm saying, though I may just be misunderstanding - forgive me if so.

What I have noticed is that \phi\left(p^{n} \pm q^{n}\right) is divisible specifically by a power of n greater than 0, and that this power is higher for more composite n. Does this make sense?

For example, \phi\left(2^{210} + 1\right) is divisible by 210^{9} and \phi\left(2^{210} - 1\right) is divisible by 210^{15}
Old 2020-07-20, 13:02   #4
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,741 Posts

The algebraic (cyclotomic) factorization of a^{n}\;\pm\;b^{n} can yield factors of n in addition to those which divide p-1 where p divides the "primitive part."

Looking at the "minus" case, suppose that

n = d1d2.

Consider the cyclotomic factors b^{d_{1}}\Phi_{d_{1}}(a/b) and b^{d_{2}}\Phi_{d_{2}}(a/b). The "typical" prime factors q1 and q2 respectively, will satisfy

d_{1}\;\mid\; q_{1}\; -\; 1\text{ and }d_{2}\;\mid\;q_{2}\;-\;1

thus contributing a factor of n to the totient. So the more prime factors corresponding to complementary divisors of n you can "pair up," the more factors of n will automatically be in the totient.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-07-20 at 13:04 Reason: xingif ostpy
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 15:55   #5
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

23×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The algebraic (cyclotomic) factorization of a^{n}\;\pm\;b^{n} can yield factors of n in addition to those which divide p-1 where p divides the "primitive part."

Looking at the "minus" case, suppose that

n = d1d2.

Consider the cyclotomic factors b^{d_{1}}\Phi_{d_{1}}(a/b) and b^{d_{2}}\Phi_{d_{2}}(a/b). The "typical" prime factors q1 and q2 respectively, will satisfy

d_{1}\;\mid\; q_{1}\; -\; 1\text{ and }d_{2}\;\mid\;q_{2}\;-\;1

thus contributing a factor of n to the totient. So the more prime factors corresponding to complementary divisors of n you can "pair up," the more factors of n will automatically be in the totient.
Thanks for this. I shall cogitate upon it!