Old 2020-03-08, 01:08   #12
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7·1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preda View Post
What may have happened in your case is that you added one GPU in the "forbidden slot" that triggers ROCm. In that situation, all the instances on all GPUs become 100%-cpu threads.
Sandy Bridge lives again. I revived this antique computer and moved the GPU to it for the time being. I can't see spending $100-150 on a Haswell motherboard when Haswell gives 1/10th the performance of a Radeon VII. I can move the memory to another Haswell box which might give mprime a small boost.

I'll eventually start disassembling one of the dream machines and move the GPU and the RMA'd GPU to these mini-itx motherboards.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-08, 13:03   #13
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

22458 Posts

I just spent a huge amout of time diagnosing why my system with 3x GPUs started freezing after a reboot when it has been working fine before. It seemed one GPU was causing the problem, so I started (in turn) switching GPUs around, switching the PCIe slots they're connected to, etc to see to what element the problem stays attached to.

And very surprisingly, it seems the problem was attached to the power cable..! (the cable connecting the PSU to the GPU). Yet the GPU was starting up fine, just dying a few seconds after starting gpuowl on it with very exotic errors..; anyway I'm happy it seems fixed now.
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-08, 19:12   #14
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3×7×11 Posts

Quote:
I just spent a huge amout of time diagnosing why my system with 3x GPUs started freezing after a reboot when it has been working fine before. It seemed one GPU was causing the problem, so I started (in turn) switching GPUs around, switching the PCIe slots they're connected to, etc to see to what element the problem stays attached to.

And very surprisingly, it seems the problem was attached to the power cable..! (the cable connecting the PSU to the GPU). Yet the GPU was starting up fine, just dying a few seconds after starting gpuowl on it with very exotic errors..; anyway I'm happy it seems fixed now.
Lol

Had this problem on a Mac Pro couple years ago, almost pulled my hair out figuring out what was wrong.
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-09, 15:04   #15
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

104678 Posts

Quote:
I just spent a huge amout of time diagnosing why my system with 3x GPUs started freezing after a reboot ..., it seems the problem was attached to the power cable..! (the cable connecting the PSU to the GPU). Yet the GPU was starting up fine, just dying a few seconds after starting gpuowl on it with very exotic errors
anyway I'm happy it seems fixed now.
I've seen it take 45 minutes or more for issues to develop.

I just redid the cabling a bit on my mini-miner recently, which currently has 5 NIVIDIA gpus of 3 different models on it. So far it seems that arranging for no more than 2 connections to a gpu or pcie-extender card per power cable regardless of connector count on the cable is working better. V=IR
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote