mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Old 2003-12-06, 00:28   #188
M29

Dec 2003

22·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ET_
I'm afraid a "cool screensaver" would stay on such computers only as long as a new cooler screensaver is received :-(

Of course, if the client could install itself and KEEP CRUNCHING after the cool screensaver has been turned off or replaced, it would be GREAT!

Luigi
I'm proposing two, independent programs:
[] Prime95, unmodified
[] A Screen Saver (or entire family of Screen Savers)

After a period of time, when a "cooler screensaver" comes out, the user would install in new screen saver, but not necessarily Prime95, which could continue to run.

Think of it this way:
[]Prime95 is always running, computing and creating save files.
[]The ScreenSaver would occassionally wake up and draw pretty pictures based upon the contents of the current save file.

Delete the ScreenSaver and Prime95 still runs.

Don't like the Prime95 ScreenSaver written by Programmer-X? Then try the ScreenSaver writtten by Programmer-Y.

The ScreenSaver could inform the user that he is getting hardware errors.

If the ScreenSaver was allowed to access the Internet, it could inform the user that a new version of Prime95 is available for download.

If the ScreenSaver was allowed to access the Internet, it could inform the user that PrimeNet is reporting that M41 has been found.

Some ScreenSavers could be capable of Internet access, others not (for security reasons).

Different teams could develop their own Screen Savers.

The technology is simple. It is a poltical decision.
M29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 01:48   #189
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

23116 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ET_
I'm afraid a "cool screensaver" would stay on such computers only as long as a new cooler screensaver is received :-(

Of course, if the client could install itself and KEEP CRUNCHING after the cool screensaver has been turned off or replaced, it would be GREAT!

Luigi
I think we should put this on our homepage .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gimps security warning.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	81  

Last fiddled with by E_tron on 2003-12-06 at 01:50
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote