mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2011-06-21, 16:03   #1
kdelisle2005

Mar 2006
Michigan

11 Posts
Default PCs not connected to internet

What is the method to run Prime95 and get credit for the work on PCs that do not have internet access??

I have tried getting the assignments using my AMD Phenom II X3 laptop then transferring the datafiles over to my Pentium 4HT and/or Core2 for execution; then transferring them back to the laptop for check-in every 60 days. But when I do this, I get machine conflict messages (though maybe these are just warnings) and I have no idea how credit is applied based on machine (ie. P4HT, Core2 or AMD).

Is this what Manual Testing is intended for?? Does Manual Testing get assignment credits??

thanks
kevin
kdelisle2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 00:18   #2
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Yes, you can use manual testing, and you will get proper credit for work done, except for a small known glitch when you do TF and find a factor. Just transfer what the manual assignments page gives you to worktodo.txt and return results.txt to the manual results page. There are instructions there.

P-1 is probably the most productive work to do for Primenet right now.

Someone else may know if you can transfer through a running copy of P95 on your laptop; it will require at least a separate directory and not allowing worker threads to start.

Last fiddled with by Christenson on 2011-06-22 at 00:20
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 00:23   #3
ric

Jul 2004
Milan, Ita

101101102 Posts

kevin,

I've been running for a while P95 on a number of boxes with intermittent to no access at all to the web. In general, my approach has been:

1. on a pc with web access, reserve exponents via manual testing (via the menu on the left), choosing your favourite piece of work (i.e. first-time tests, doublechecks, or else). If I remember correctly, with existing rules you get an allowance of 6 months per item, in order to complete your task. Copy/paste assignment lines to a text file.

2. transfer the text file to the non-connected machines (e.g. via an usb key). On every standalone machine, stop running prime95 and distribute assignments into their worktodo.txt, usually at the end. If you're running p95 on multi-core machines, you might want to distribute further your candidates between workers for an even load. Restart p95 and waaaait.

3. when a work unit is complete, transfer only the result.txt file to the pc with web access. Copy and paste the results in the box under manual test/results.

Only caveat: remember to login to mersenne.org before using manual test transactions, to have assignments appearing under your ID, and credits properly recognized at the end.

This way, you've no need to check-in periodically to keep your exponents assigned (up to the 6-months limit). AFAIK, there's no processor-tag for credits, i.e. you get the same credit for an exponent, in a way indipendent from the processor make/model/architecture (even though timings might be very different).

You might want to practice the above with some fast and low-cost exponent, such as TF above the 220M/230M base. Do not forget to login to the website for steps 1 and 3, if you want your results credited to you, and not to the greedy ANONYMOUS account.

HTH
ric
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 03:09   #4
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

ECM with small memory (20M) is just a few hours; P-1 assignments give 4-5GHz days of credit, but require 300M of memory or more. GPUs are tearing up the town with all the TF they can do; 30Ghz days per day for a $100 mid-range GTX 440, though with some core involvement.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote