mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-10-27, 10:06   #45
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

17616 Posts

You may have missed attaching the screenshot?
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 10:09   #46
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

2·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
You may have missed attaching the screenshot?
Refresh your screen. ;)
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 11:27   #47
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

37410 Posts

You have quite a potent GPU there! It would be a pity to leave it unused.

You might give mfaktc a try. It does trial factoring work on a GPU. The latest version is here: mfaktc-0.21

Kriesel has a reference thread for mfaktc:
http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23386
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 14:52   #48
Runtime Error

Sep 2017
USA

3·61 Posts
Default NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

You have a RTX 2070 Super. That's a very good card! According to the mersenne.ca links below, you should get about 2,400 ghz/day per day running trial factoring. That number is probably low, because I get about that on my 2070 non-Super. For comparison, current wavefront exponents take about 380 ghz/days to test. But note that mersenne.ca estimates that your card can "only" do 60 ghz/days per day on PRP work. (Basically GPUs are really good at TF work...)

The GPU learning curve is very steep. I am still climbing it myself. Kriesel is extremely helpful. His documentation is high quality. However, the sheer size of the information on GPU work can be daunting.

Via the link that Kruoli shared, I use the "mfaktc-0.21.win_cuda100-2047.zip" version. You can start by getting TF work from the manual testing GPU page, or from gpu72.com.

Estimated GPU TF performance: https://www.mersenne.ca/mfaktc.php
Estimated GPU LL performance: https://www.mersenne.ca/cudalucas.php

Last fiddled with by Runtime Error on 2020-10-27 at 14:54
Runtime Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 17:47   #49
Viliam Furik

Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

23×3×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
because included in the setup equipment were CDs labeled "graphics driver and utility" and Intel Motherboards Drivers and Utilities.
You should be able to download the graphics driver from Nvidia's website. I am not sure, whether you need the Intel drivers and utilities. But if your machine is working fine, don't bother installing them (Intel drivers), I think. Most of the utilities are probably for things and purposes you don't need, such as RGB control and overclocking control.

But DO install the Nvidia IF the mfaktc doesn't work properly when you set it up.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 19:16   #50
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtime Error View Post
You have a RTX 2070 Super. That's a very good card!
gpuowl v.11-364 PRP-Tests should run as fast than on your 10 CPU Cores.
After all, we want to find the next big prime number.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 21:16   #51
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

476110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
I was just going back and re-reading previous posts, and I realized I'm not sure how to tell (since someone asked me) if there is actually a graphics card installed in this machine, although I'm guessing that there is, because included in the setup equipment were CDs labeled "graphics driver and utility" and Intel Motherboards Drivers and Utilities. But as far as I can tell there is not an actual disk drive where I can insert the disks. Should I have some kind of external device? And if I can figure out how to load these disks into my computer, am I correct in assuming that they will also help my overall processor operation?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-20-ghz.html shows a UHD630 integrated graphics processor also. The Intel stuff may include Intel OpenCL support for that. Backup and save a system restore point first before making any changes.
If there's no internal CD/DVD drive, but there's USB, you could consider buying or borrowing an external. Or get a friend to put it on a flash drive stick.
Get the RTX 2070 Super flying in mfaktc first, and tuned.

Then look at https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=25717 for the UHD630 IGP contributing a little more with mfakto.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-27 at 21:16
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 21:28   #52
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
If there's no internal CD/DVD drive, but there's USB, you could consider buying or borrowing an external. Or get a friend to put it on a flash drive stick.
Most of the drivers and utilities are now available on the internet, and I don't have a CD-ROM in my new rig either.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-28, 16:13   #53
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

32·232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Most of the drivers and utilities are now available on the internet, and I don't have a CD-ROM in my new rig either.
Yes. Great when it works, especially with high-speed internet.
I've run into the situation where drivers are required during an OS install, before the system can access the internet or even finish a boot. (SSD) If there's no internal boot drive working yet, there may be no web browser.
Also sometimes rural internet gets downed by say a township roadside mower hitting the fiber patch box, downing the whole neighborhood. But the BIOS may allow booting from USB devices, and loading the necessary drivers from there. Some of my hardware is not very portable or not wireless equipped, so hauling it to a nearby WiFi hotspot is a nonstarter.
I too have no-internal-optical drive systems. Fortunately for me in the laptop case the OS was preloaded when the system was bought new. I later bought a single USB DVD drive, for building systems from DVD media, some of which are run headless and CD-less afterward. Also for making and using system restore disks, for recovering from trashed OS or crashed drives.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-28 at 16:44
Old 2020-10-28, 16:41   #54
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

32×232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Kriesel has a reference thread for mfaktc:
http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtime Error View Post
The GPU learning curve is very steep. I am still climbing it myself. Kriesel is extremely helpful. His documentation is high quality. However, the sheer size of the information on GPU work can be daunting.
Thanks for the link and kind words. The GIMPS learning curve is large, and growing, with PRP, GEC, and PRP proof among recent examples. We're climbing that hill together. I'm glad my external memory efforts are useful to you. The reference thread is over 230 maintained posts overall, approximately book-size now. Constructive suggestions, corrections, and possible additions are welcome in the reference material discussion thread
User questions often lead to a new aspect to cover. I plan to continue doing this documentation effort a while. And for many aspects of GIMPS, it's worth thinking about succession occasionally. This is no exception. (I used to write and design technical marketing materials and produce and edit equipment manuals for custom equipment as a working engineer, along with many other roles.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-28 at 16:50