mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2012-03-05, 14:10   #45
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

27·61 Posts

We do not have Showtime, so yesterday we watched a pirate video of the Ronda Rousey/Miesha Tate fight. (Obviously, not a live feed!)

If we had the option of paying $5 to watch the fight live "on demand", we would have done so.

We have no intention of subscribing to Showtime or HBO. We watch TV only a few hours a week so it would be a waste.

We wish that we could choose our cable channels to pay for. The History channel, Animal Planet, A&E and a local news channel would be sufficient for us. That would be fair for $10 a month.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 14:52   #46
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

2·541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We wish that we could choose our cable channels to pay for. The History channel, Animal Planet, A&E and a local news channel would be sufficient for us. That would be fair for $10 a month.
The problem with "a-la-carte" pricing is that your idea of an acceptable price point is far too low to support the "fringe" audiences of each of those channels.

Although you are willing to pay for the History channel and Animal Planet, your neighbor is not. Instead they want Bravo, BBC America, and the Game Show networks.

Thus, to support your preferred channels, each of you might need to pay $40 a month.

By "bundling", for the same price, you get not only the channels that you desire, but, should the occasion arise, you might also watch something on one of those other channels.

A model that might be "more nearly fair" would be to make all channels available to everyone and charge on the basis of hours viewed. Thus, since you rarely watch, your monthly bill would be less than that of your "couch potato" neighbor.

But even that model has its problems ...
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 14:57   #47
bcp19

Oct 2011

7·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Mildly off-topic:My "illegal"(I put quotes around the word because there are some parts of the law I'm hazy about) downloading in the past year or so has been almost 100% tv shows. Artificial scarcity pisses me off no end. I'd be happy to pay for stuff I haven't watched when it was on tv, except they delay the online posting of the video for no good reason except that they can.

Fringe is a perfect example. I've been told that Fringe may be taken off the air because of illegal torrenting, so I'm apparently persecuting the Fox network. Except that (1) Fringe comes on on a Friday when a lot of people are out hanging out with friends, and (2) you can't legally buy a copy of a Fringe episode until it's been 7-8 days since it was first shown on televison. So is the Fox network being persecuted when people download torrents of their show or are they just clueless idiots that have no freakin' idea about the proper way to make money?
I'd say clueless idiots myself. I have bought all of the season DVDs for Fringe so far, which of course don't come out for months after being shown on TV. The show is popular (I also torrent TV shows and know Fringe gets 10k+ people downloading within a few hours of being posted), so the threat of cancellation comes across as dumb.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 00:12   #48
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

24·107 Posts

How about:
I torrented your show, so here's $5 bucks? (presented as $50K checks to Fox every week)

Or, who's advertising this week?...I downloaded the show, so I bought the advertised products? And didn't buy those that weren't advertised...and we all do this exactly two days AFTER the show airs, no more and no less.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 13:01   #49
bcp19

Oct 2011

7×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
How about:
I torrented your show, so here's $5 bucks? (presented as $50K checks to Fox every week)

Or, who's advertising this week?...I downloaded the show, so I bought the advertised products? And didn't buy those that weren't advertised...and we all do this exactly two days AFTER the show airs, no more and no less.
I think $5 per show would be way high, a full season is only like $40 on DVD and for most series, seasons run 20-24 episodes. I'd be interested if they had something like $10 a month to view any show starting the next day after having aired. Or, like some broadcasters, while I am not sure how fast they put the shows up, there is no fee, but they have 4 or 5 breaks with commercials added that you cannot fastforward through or skip for at least 15-30 seconds. Downside to these is you usually end up seeing the same commercial all 5 times :/.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 04:04   #50
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

90E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES View Post
I have always regarded piracy as stealing or robbery by definition, whether at sea or online. I imagine the practice impacts indies more than anyone else. I ran across an interesting blog entry on the subject, posted by an indie game developer several months ago. I've managed to track down the URL and thought I would share it here.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/...o-prevent.html
The same author also has another interesting article here: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/...-my-games.html
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 06:44   #51
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·599 Posts

The Golden Rule is one of the oldest guidelines to moral behavior.

When you're thinking about committing piracy, consider this:

(A) Suppose you and the creator of the work in question are sitting facing each other, and in addition you have at hand the means for committing piracy (say, your laptop right beside you). The work's creator can see whatever you are doing, but not talk to you or prevent you from anything. Do you think the piracy is justified for you to commit, right there in plain sight of the pirated-to-be work's creator? Do you have any empathy for the feelings of the work's creator?

(B) Suppose you are the creator of a work that can readily be pirated, and you are sitting facing someone who is contemplating pirating that work and has the means to do so right away. You can see everything the other person does, but not speak to, or affect the actions of, that person. How would you feel if the other person pirates your work, right then in front of you, knowing that you are watching?
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 10:08   #52
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
The Golden Rule is one of the oldest guidelines to moral behavior.

When you're thinking about committing piracy, consider this:

(A) Suppose you and the creator of the work in question are sitting facing each other, and in addition you have at hand the means for committing piracy (say, your laptop right beside you). The work's creator can see whatever you are doing, but not talk to you or prevent you from anything. Do you think the piracy is justified for you to commit, right there in plain sight of the pirated-to-be work's creator? Do you have any empathy for the feelings of the work's creator?

(B) Suppose you are the creator of a work that can readily be pirated, and you are sitting facing someone who is contemplating pirating that work and has the means to do so right away. You can see everything the other person does, but not speak to, or affect the actions of, that person. How would you feel if the other person pirates your work, right then in front of you, knowing that you are watching?
My personal answers:

(A) No and yes respectively.

(B) Not applicable because anything I create can not be pirated because I explicitly allow free copying under a BSD-like or less restrictive licence.

If I ever produce a novel bamboo, I will quite happily let you clone it. Getting the plant(s) through your jurisdiction's import regulations will be your problem. Actually, it's possible that a novel bamboo might show up. One of my Pleioblastus species flowered last spring and I collected hundreds of seeds. It's now spring planting season and something interesting might arise. A different bamboo species, one belonging to in-laws, is in flower right now and I hope to receive some of that seed so there may be another chance for something novel to arise.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 22:02   #53
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1C1416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
< snip > anything I create can not be pirated
... and thus is not relevant to the thread topic, or to my Golden Rule recommendation, which concern situations in which something can be pirated.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 07:21   #54
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
... and thus is not relevant to the thread topic, or to my Golden Rule recommendation, which concern situations in which something can be pirated.
Fine. However, you asked two questions. The answers to the first were relevant to the topic. I answered the second fro two reasons: to indicated that I had neither wilfully or negigligently failed to answer; to indicated that in my opinion one should claim authorship but not monetary recompense on making subsequent copies of ones work.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 09:23   #55
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

133678 Posts

An interesting essay:

https://www.insightcommunity.com/ste...ntent-creators
retina is offline   Reply With Quote