mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2012-03-01, 02:38   #100
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Not really on the gun control part...you'd need to be a dealer or a very serious collector before you'd want to purchase more than one gun a month, and there's nothing in there on the mental health end....so Mr Hugely got himself convicted this month for second degree murder of Yeardly Love, and he didn't even need an identified weapon to do the job, only a dangerous level of alcohol in both himself and his victim.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 03:06   #101
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts

ewmayer,

Did you really fall for the misinformation campaign? Do you know what the text of the actual bill was that caused so much angst? It was that ultrasounds:
Quote:
shall be made pursuant to standard medical practice in the community.
When it was made clear that some people opposed this phrase because it might be interpreted to force a standard medical practice which people were uncomfortable with, the phrase was removed.

I suppose that pursuing the standard medical practice of ultrasounds is more *invasive* than having a fetus cut out of you. Sheesh.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:36   #102
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
<snip>

Do you know what the text of the actual bill was that caused so much angst?
May we have links to the before- and after- versions of the bill text? (I'm trying to find them through the Virginia Legislative Information System, but there's a learning curve ...)
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:15   #103
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

30138 Posts

I first learned this at the (partisan) website: The article which gives the exact wording that caused the uproar.

Subsequently, on the same website, I learned that during many abortions, this is common practice: Some statistics on vaginal ultrasounds.

I tried to find a non-partisan website for you. I'm pretty sure the following is non-partisan: More context
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:38   #104
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Thanks.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 09:55   #105
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

That's still quite invasive on the state's part. Especially the part about viewing the image and hearing the fetal heartbeat, and requiring the procedure to be ultrasound, as opposed to other reliable information, and the assumption that a printed copy will have to be maintained. Fails all the tests of a non-discriminatory law, just as did the washington board of pharmacy rules about keeping "Plan B" in stock.

I remember, as a teenager, a flap of my gums that had to be cut off because I was chewing on it. I never saw it.

[QUOTE]
Abortion; informed consent. Requires that, as a component of informed consent to an abortion, to determine gestation age, every pregnant female shall undergo ultrasound imaging and be given an opportunity to view the ultrasound image of her fetus prior to the abortion. The medical professional performing the ultrasound must obtain written certification from the woman that the opportunity was offered and whether the woman availed herself of the opportunity to see the ultrasound image or hear the fetal heartbeat. A copy of the ultrasound and the written certification shall be maintained in the woman's medical records at the facility where the abortion is to be performed.
[\QUOTE]
Old 2012-03-02, 19:50   #106
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1157110 Posts

Soon, first-trimester pregnant women who are considering abortion will have to "read to their bean-sized fetus from a state-approved list of 'fetal literature' for at least 40 hours" - supervised by a state child protection services worker, of course - before being allowed to make their choice.

I think they should be made to knit at least 2 pairs of woolen booties - one blue, one pink - as well.

You know, while we're at it, again strictly to promote "maternal/fetus bonding" before any drastic decisions are made - a state-supervised set of "fetal lullaby sessions" in which the expectant mother is made to sing to her child sounds like a really fine idea. Women with really awful croaky voices (perhaps from smoking, but we're not allowed to require women to quit that while pregnant, although we do encourage it) who feel this might cause more harm than good may be excused, if they obtain a "traumatic singing voice" waiver from a state-certified voice-stetrician. All very sensible, modest requirements, which no reasonable person could object to.

Getting back to the "getting our pro-life priorities straight" issue:

Florida House passes 24-hour wait for abortions: Women seeking abortions would be required to wait 24 hours under a bill passed by the Florida House on Thursday.
So where this all appears to be heading:

o There will be ever-longer waiting periods and ever-more hoops to jump through for even early-stage abortions;

o There will be ever-shorter waiting periods and ever-fewer hoops to jump through for those seeking the means to perform "retroactive abortions".

Makes perfect sense, really.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2012-03-02 at 19:51
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 22:40   #107
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
Journal of Medical Ethics: After-birth abortion: Why should the baby live?

Abstract: Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.
Here's a comic for those reacting to the paper:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/book_burning.png
Old 2015-08-13, 18:59   #108
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22×7×281 Posts

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/13/9140849...ideos-unedited

Quote:
The videos are edited to make Planned Parenthood look bad. But that doesn't mean Planned Parenthood didn't do anything wrong.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 01:53   #109
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
Here's a comic for those reacting to the paper:
Haha, beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 22:44   #110
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

This floated across my FB feed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	let he who is without shin.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	14588  

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2016-06-30 at 00:11 Reason: Serious abortion debaters will surely bristle at such levity...
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote