mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2018-05-18, 17:11   #1
GP2

Sep 2003

2×5×7×37 Posts
Default Amazon AWS: new c5d instances

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/ec2...e-storage-c5d/

These are like c5 instances, but they have NVMe local storage.

All the other parameters seem to be the same (cores, RAM, etc) and the NVMe local storage is probably irrelevant for our applications. However, the c5d instances are distinct from the c5 instances, which means the spot instance prices vary independently from one another.

In particular, in recent weeks the spot prices on c5 in us-east-2 (Ohio) really surged a lot, and right now it seems that the c5d prices are more in line with the pricing we were used to earlier.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 18:09   #2
GP2

Sep 2003

2×5×7×37 Posts

Well, it didn't take long for c5d spot prices to nearly match or exceed c5 spot prices. So much for that idea.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 12:43   #3
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

1101011110102 Posts

The graphs for c5d is not showing correctly for some reason. Even though the price is above $0.02 the graph is under the $0.02 line at least for us-east-2a, and the other 2 are just on the $0.02 line.

The graphs for c5 works and is a bit higher even though the price is not that much higher.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 17:20   #4
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

22×5×7×17 Posts

Quick question regarding cloud computing.
Why is there a market for it?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the equivalent computers for the long run savings?
At least of you are planning to run it 24/7 at maximum CPU use.

Thank you in advance.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2018-05-25 at 17:25
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 17:33   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

260458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Why is there a market for it? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the equivalent computers for the long run savings?
Not always.

For example, with the extremely high costs of electricity here in Barbados I find that it is actually *less* expensive for me to rent compute than to even pay for the power needed to run it on my own kit, not even taking into consideration the capex for the kit and related infrastructure (power, AC, connectivity, etc).

Also, there are many organizations whose needs are "bursty"; sometimes they don't need a lot of compute, other times they need a lot *really* quickly.

Lastly, the cloud providers have excellent "plant", with redundant power and AC, secure facilities, and "multi-homed" connectivity. And if a machine starts to fail you simply spin up another instance.

Quite frankly, the only computers I deploy now-a-days are workstations and SMB servers; everything else is "in the cloud".
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 22:33   #6
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013
https://pedan.tech/

318610 Posts

Quote:
Quick question regarding cloud computing.
Why is there a market for it?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the equivalent computers for the long run savings?
At least of you are planning to run it 24/7 at maximum CPU use.

Thank you in advance.
It's much cheaper than running your own redundant data centers with 24/7 on-site staff to fix issues with redundant internet connections, power, etc.

It's much cheaper to have on-demand availability for random tripling of traffic at a moment's notice than to have hardware sitting idle 360 days a year. Our traffic may triple in 15 minutes at any minute of the day. I'm not going to run to a data center to install servers.

It's much easier to provision more hardware by clicking a button.

It's also much more capital efficient to lease than to buy hardware up front if you're a startup. That means less money to be raised and less dilution.

Using the cloud is a no-brainer in our situation.

If your work load is static and doesn't need redundancy, then the cloud makes no sense. It's much, much cheaper for me to LL on dedicated hardware at home, even with the highest electricity prices in Canada, than to use cloud.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 22:35   #7
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013
https://pedan.tech/

2×33×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
Well, it didn't take long for c5d spot prices to nearly match or exceed c5 spot prices. So much for that idea.
It's the same CPU, but with disk, so it makes sense.

We're going to shift one of our big workloads from i3 to c5d.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 18:28   #8
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

94C16 Posts

Still, something doesn't add up for me. The cloud computing prices are so high that they pay for equivalent computers in less than a month.
Why isn't everyone with a few $100k to invest, start their own Data-Centres and double their money every month?
Old 2018-05-26, 19:04   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

151668 Posts

Since no one has mentioned it yet: This is not an either/or situation.

You can use someone else's computers (aka "the cloud") to handle excess or unexpected workloads that your normal systems can't cope with, and you can use your own systems for those sensitive and/or predictable workloads.

So you don't have to sell all of your boxes, or refrain from buying any boxes ever, just because you want to use Mom & Pops Cloud Solutions0. You can have both.

So use your own systems for P95 (if it makes sense for you), and use the remote spying systems for other periodic tasks you can't (or don't want to) cope with.

0 Wouldn't a "cloud solution" be rain?

Last fiddled with by retina on 2018-05-26 at 19:04
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 20:30   #10
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

3×13×149 Posts

Quote:
Still, something doesn't add up for me. The cloud computing prices are so high that they pay for equivalent computers in less than a month.
Why isn't everyone with a few $100k to invest, start their own Data-Centres and double their money every month?
You should give an example, because this claim suggests your calculations are way off (or you haven't yet paid for electricity yourself).
My experience with AWS' cheap instances are that they're priced rather close to my cost of electricity; from my perspective, the rent on the silicon is very close to zero. While I'm sure you're referring to high-uptime/high-priority instances rather than the kill-at-will cheap instances, I still think you're way off in your calculations.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 21:29   #11
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

22×5×7×17 Posts

The following is an approximation:
I registered a free account with Azure about 12 hours ago with $250 credit.
Started about 8 compute optimised (not the most expensive) virtual machines with windows servers with 4 cores each. I am down about $50 so far.
$100 per day x 30 = $3000
I am sure you can get 8 whole-sale new or used 4 core computers for that price. Electrify used for a month for them won't even come close to $3000.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2018-05-26 at 21:31