Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > ElevenSmooth

Old 2008-02-18, 13:39   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

22×32×179 Posts
Default May I have the temerity?

Would anyone object if I finished M1575 by GNFS? It'll take until sometime in the second week of March.

Would anyone be interested in contributing to an SNFS attack on M2376? It will take around 15 CPU-months of sieving (maybe less: I haven't optimised the factor base parameters yet), which is roughly the same as the ECM time to get to 55 digits plus a bit of linear algebra which I'm happy to handle.
Old 2008-02-18, 14:07   #2
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

2×17×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Would anyone be interested in contributing to an SNFS attack on M2376? It will take around 15 CPU-months of sieving (maybe less: I haven't optimised the factor base parameters yet), which is roughly the same as the ECM time to get to 55 digits plus a bit of linear algebra which I'm happy to handle.
Do you plan to organize it in a thread like you did with 6,383+?

I can spare a CPU (P4 @ 2,2 GHz) now - and possibly a second one (one thread of a Core 2 Duo @ 1,8 GHz) from the beginning of march. (the core 2 Duo is currently doing some huge P-1 projects)
Old 2008-02-19, 00:28   #3
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

23·103 Posts

Take it away, mack!

I've marked both composites inactive in the ecm servers. It will be a pleasure to have these factored.
Old 2008-02-19, 09:22   #4
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

3·1,979 Posts

why not do this sort of factoring in nfsnet
Old 2008-02-19, 11:35   #5
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·5·431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
why not do this sort of factoring in nfsnet
AFAIK, NFSNet is not GPL or LGPL. Wacky and xilman typically choose why number gets factored and they tend to lean strongly towards factoring Cunninghams.
Old 2008-02-19, 11:43   #6
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

22×32×179 Posts

NFSNet is only incidentally software; fundamentally, it's a group of people. I could conceivably influence them in the choice of project (though I've not kept the logs up-to-date, so my anyhow-small supply of brownie points has been entirely devoured by the mice of lethargy), but the activation energy involved in influencing them is a lot greater than the activation energy to set up a thread here and recruit participants.

It may be that I won't be able to get enough participants here to do the sieving in reasonable time; I have the resources to do it myself, but it would take the whole spring. So be it.
Old 2008-02-19, 17:26   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

3·1,979 Posts

elevensmooth is factoring future cunningham numbers
i thought u might be willing to try to persuade them
Old 2008-02-19, 19:37   #8
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

23·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Wacky and xilman typically choose why number gets factored and they tend to lean strongly towards factoring Cunninghams.
Wacky and xilman consider many things, including keeping the project overhead down and keeping the result frequency up keeping the Linear Algebra machines busy, but not too busy, and breadth of interest in the particular factorization. Neither of these numbers are particularly good matches for NFSNET at this time. Xilman is aware of the elevensmooth numbers and personally spearheaded the last
GNFS factorization
of an elevensmooth number. When an elevensmooth number is a good match to NFSNET, he will already know it; pestering him before that time will merely annoy him.

William
Old 2008-02-21, 09:15   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

3·1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
Wacky and xilman consider many things, including keeping the project overhead down and keeping the result frequency up keeping the Linear Algebra machines busy, but not too busy, and breadth of interest in the particular factorization. Neither of these numbers are particularly good matches for NFSNET at this time. Xilman is aware of the elevensmooth numbers and personally spearheaded the last
GNFS factorization
of an elevensmooth number. When an elevensmooth number is a good match to NFSNET, he will already know it; pestering him before that time will merely annoy him.

William
ok thanks for the good explanation
Old 2008-02-21, 14:36   #10
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
elevensmooth is factoring future cunningham numbers

What is wrong with sticking to the current ones?????

BTW, M2376 is fully factored *except* for the current Cunningham
number 2,1188+.
Old 2008-02-21, 15:22   #11
Andi47

Oct 2004
Austria

2·17·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
What is wrong with sticking to the current ones?????
What is wrong with letting people have fun / satisfaction / whatever with projects other than cunningham???

Quote:
BTW, M2376 is fully factored *except* for the current Cunningham
number 2,1188+.
This is known to the ElevenSmooth project - and the SNFS project is for the remaining unfactored 2,1188+, see this thread.

Last fiddled with by Andi47 on 2008-02-21 at 15:23