mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-02, 20:55   #1
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

5×37 Posts
Default MMO Property Calculation

Hi Folks,

I am NOT a math genius like many of you and because I feared Dr Silverman's wrath I did not post this in the maths thread instead I post this as a puzzle! :-)

I play an MMO on my iPhone and currently I buy properties based on return on investment.

In the text file attached is the list of properties you can buy. each has a base cost, a fixed income (does not change) and a price increase for each that you buy (5%) each time.

So for example a Magazine stand costs $3,000 to buy the first time and then $$3,150 the next and so on

Once you purchase a property it provides income once an hour (based on the income column which does not change with each purchase). Thus each property you buy gives a decreasing ROI.

Currently I do a simple calculation based on ROI and buy the property with the highest ROI.

Q1) Is this the fastest way to make money in game or should I be following a different path!! Is time a factor?

Where the ROI is equal I choose the cheaper property to purchase as I have manually worked out that this is more efficient and I was wondering

Q2) If I was correct and if there were any formulas that proved this

I would appreciate any insights on the matter as I am trying to build a spreadsheet that will help my fellow players!
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Question.txt (1.3 KB, 226 views)
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 23:48   #2
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

10111010110112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
Q1) Is this the fastest way to make money in game or should I be following a different path!! Is time a factor?
It's pretty close -- that's the way I would do it. But it is possible to do better in some cases.

If an expensive property has only a slightly better ROI than a cheaper one, it's possible that the return you'd get on the cheaper property while waiting on the more expensive one would make up the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I would appreciate any insights on the matter as I am trying to build a spreadsheet that will help my fellow players!
I would generally go with your formula. It's the best you can do with no knowledge of the player's income.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 00:52   #3
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

C7B16 Posts
Default

It all depends on how long you gain income from the property and/or how long you will play the game. Given enough time the property with the highest income will always be the best choice.

Your total income from each property will be: totalincome = time*income - cost
So plotting totalincome as a function of time this will be straight lines with increasing slopes for the bigger properties, given enough time the biggest slope (income) wins.

It will always come down to how much time left of the game:
Say you have 1 magazine stand and $8,000 left and game runs for another 1 week (=168 hours), should you buy another magazine stand for $3,150 or save up $18,500 for a Barber Shop?
Option1: The extra magazine stand will in 1 week give you: 168*125 - 3150 = $17,850
Option2: You need to save for (18500-8000)/125=84h to buy barber shop, so you'll only get income for 84h, so barber shop will give you: 84*325 - 18500 = $8,800

Now if game had run for 2 weeks the figures would be $38,850 and $63,400 so Barber Shop would be the better choice.

Notice these numbers are not your total cash at the end of the game, but just the amount from the new property.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2009-09-03 at 00:57
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 13:12   #4
davar55
 
davar55's Avatar
 
May 2004
New York City

5·7·112 Posts
Default

Does MMO stand for "massively multiplayer online" game?

If so, does it work anything like GIMPS?
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:30   #5
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

B916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
It's pretty close -- that's the way I would do it. But it is possible to do better in some cases.
I am curious how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I would generally go with your formula. It's the best you can do with no knowledge of the player's income.
A player's fixed income is only what they earn from properties. They can earn revenue from doing jobs or fights. Would this affect things?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:33   #6
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
Does MMO stand for "massively multiplayer online" game?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
If so, does it work anything like GIMPS?
A lot of the calculations are handled server side as all of the players need to be updated. But I suppose in some ways, yes it does as there are thousands of clients all working independently and then submitting results to a central server :-)

Last fiddled with by Bundu on 2009-09-03 at 14:33
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:35   #7
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
It all depends on how long you gain income from the property and/or how long you will play the game. Given enough time the property with the highest income will always be the best choice.

Your total income from each property will be: totalincome = time*income - cost
So plotting totalincome as a function of time this will be straight lines with increasing slopes for the bigger properties, given enough time the biggest slope (income) wins.

It will always come down to how much time left of the game:
Say you have 1 magazine stand and $8,000 left and game runs for another 1 week (=168 hours), should you buy another magazine stand for $3,150 or save up $18,500 for a Barber Shop?
Option1: The extra magazine stand will in 1 week give you: 168*125 - 3150 = $17,850
Option2: You need to save for (18500-8000)/125=84h to buy barber shop, so you'll only get income for 84h, so barber shop will give you: 84*325 - 18500 = $8,800

Now if game had run for 2 weeks the figures would be $38,850 and $63,400 so Barber Shop would be the better choice.

Notice these numbers are not your total cash at the end of the game, but just the amount from the new property.
time in these games I would say is pretty much infinite as there is no "end" as such. you simply play until you hit the top of a leaderboard or you get bored and quit!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:48   #8
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

101110012 Posts
Default

and thanks for all the answers so far!!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 16:06   #9
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

3×1,993 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I am curious how?
I said how in my post! Here's a more concrete example.

Suppose your hourly income (from properties as well as fights, etc. -- the math doesn't care) is 10 units and that you can buy two properties: one costing 1000 and giving an hourly income of 12, and one costing 100 and giving an hourly income of 1. The first one has a higher ROI, so let's say you buy it first and then the other. (Maybe its cost increases enough after one purchase that the cheap one would be better.)

Hour 0: money 0, income 10/hour
Hour 99: money 990, income 10/hour
Hour 100: money 0, income 22/hour
Hour 104: money 88, income 22/hour
Hour 105: money 10, income 23/hour

Let's compare that to the other order.
Hour 0: money 0, income 10/hour
Hour 9: money 90, income 10/hour
Hour 10: money 0, income 11/hour
Hour 100: money 990, income 11/hour
Hour 101: money 1, income 23/hour
Hour 105: money 93, income 23/hour

This happens when the time to buy the more expensive building is large and the difference in ROI is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
A player's fixed income is only what they earn from properties. They can earn revenue from doing jobs or fights. Would this affect things?
Yes, if you're trying to beat the straightforward ROI rule.

If property A has a better ROI than property B and costs the same or less, or if property A costs less and has the same ROI vs. B, then A will always be better.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 10:43   #10
Bundu
 
Bundu's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Mid Calder, Scotland

2718 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I said how in my post! Here's a more concrete example.

...snip
Lol, I should have read more carefully! DOH!

I will have a look at how I can work this into my sheet this weekend. I obviously need to alter it to take time in as a consideration and have some method for players accounting for "additional" income. I love a good spreadsheet challenge!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 15:55   #11
nu3n
 
Sep 2009

2 Posts
Default

interesting.
nu3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intellectual property rites davar55 Soap Box 199 2017-05-24 04:01
Sum of two squares: Peculiar property Raman Puzzles 13 2010-02-13 05:25
A property of Fermat numbers. Already known ? T.Rex Math 6 2006-09-17 22:11
I need a proof for this binomial property. T.Rex Math 3 2004-10-08 19:13
Special property for mod dsouza123 Math 4 2003-10-31 05:49

All times are UTC. The time now is 09:43.


Mon Nov 29 09:43:19 UTC 2021 up 129 days, 4:12, 0 users, load averages: 0.78, 0.89, 0.93

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.