mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-30, 23:55   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

242410 Posts
Default How will the transition to v5 work?

I have some questions about the PrimeNet v5 transition.

1. I'm assuming v4 will be removed once v5 takes its place. Will users have to reconfigure Prime95 to use v5, or will PrimeNet automatically forward all data to v5?

2. How will the v4 and the v5 beta accounts be merged? I'm currently using v4, but I also created a v5 account (that has no credit) several weeks ago. In this case, how will PrimeNet know that the "ixfd64" on v4 is the same person as "ixfd64" on v5? I'm guessing I'll be able to merge my v5 beta account (by entering the username and password) once the transition happens, but I could be wrong.

3. What still needs to be done before v5 is completely ready?
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 01:23   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×3,373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Will users have to reconfigure Prime95 to use v5, or will PrimeNet automatically forward all data to v5?
I believe that George said that it will be forwarded, that for the older versions of P95, they won't see a difference.
Quote:
2. How will the v4 and the v5 beta accounts be merged? I'm currently using v4, but I also created a v5 account (that has no credit) several weeks ago. In this case, how will PrimeNet know that the "ixfd64" on v4 is the same person as "ixfd64" on v5? I'm guessing I'll be able to merge my v5 beta account (by entering the username and password) once the transition happens, but I could be wrong.
George said that all of the v5 account credit is likely to vanish. I would suspect that the accounts may go POOF too.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 01:31   #3
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

23×3×101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
George said that all of the v5 account credit is likely to vanish. I would suspect that the accounts may go POOF too.
In that case, I guess I should wait until v5 is officially launched before doing v5-only assignments (such as factoring >79.3M exponents).

Thanks for the information.
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 01:42   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·3,373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
In that case, I guess I should wait until v5 is officially launched before doing v5-only assignments (such as factoring >79.3M exponents).

Thanks for the information.
Look at this post by George, it looks a little less pessimistic.
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...58&postcount=6
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some transition probabilities fivemack Aliquot Sequences 9 2012-03-16 08:49
Caught in transition? cheesehead Forum Feedback 1 2011-12-11 05:14
How to calculate work/effort for PRP work? James Heinrich PrimeNet 0 2011-06-28 19:29
server transition news ltd Prime Sierpinski Project 4 2006-04-19 20:25
Gimps awaiting a major transition tha Hardware 42 2005-08-21 13:30

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:18.


Sat Dec 4 01:18:31 UTC 2021 up 133 days, 19:47, 0 users, load averages: 1.31, 1.34, 1.37

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.