Nowhere

101228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The word "idolatry" comes to mind...
Faith ?
No. Idolatry is worshipping something physical (an idol, which could be a "graven image," a statue, or a person) in place of God. The term is also applied more broadly to mean excessive admiration or devotion to one's self or to another.

IMO saying you'll believe someone won an election fairly only if one man says so, without even allowing for considering facts and evidence, qualifies. That is saying that that man's word defines your reality. If that isn't worship, I don't know what is.

EDIT: Rather than making another post, I'm adding something to this one that seems to my febrile fertile imagination to be related.

At Papers of John Adams, volume 2 are The Letters of Novanglus [23 January–April 1775].

In

VII. To the Inhabitants of the Colony of Massachusetts-Bay [6 March 1775]

we find (my reference dagger and footnote)

Quote:
If Aristotle, Livy, and Harrington, knew what a republic was, the British constitution is much more like a republic than an empire. They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men. If this definition is just, the British constitution is nothing more nor less than a republic, in which the king is first magistrate. This office being hereditary, and being possessed of such ample and splendid prerogatives, is no objection to the government's being a republic, as long as it is bound by fixed laws, which the people have a voice in making, and a right to defend. An empire is a despotism, and an emperor a despot, bound by no law or limitation, but his own will: it is a stretch of tyranny beyond absolute monarchy. For altho' the will of an absolute monarch is law, yet his edicts must be registered by parliaments. Even this formality is not necessary in an empire. There the maxim is quod principi placuit legis, habet vigorem, even without having that will and pleasure recorded. There are but three empires now in Europe, the German, or Holy Roman, the Russian and the Ottoman.
"What pleases the prince has the force of law."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-11-22 at 22:14 Reason: As indicated; also xifnig posty
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-23, 00:12   #520
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

618510 Posts

In Wisconsin there was an issue of "observers" thinking that they had the right to take images of mail-in ballots along with the name of the person who mailed it in. There is at least one case of an observer being kicked out for not wearing a mask and another that was removed for pushing an election official. The main issue is that some observers are calling many votes "irregular" in order to slow down the count and to get votes thrown out.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-23, 02:45   #521
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,089 Posts

Quote:
I look forward to Mayor Giuliani spearheading the legal effort to defend OUR RIGHT to FREE and FAIR ELECTIONS! 'Rudy Giuliani, Joseph diGenova, Victoria Toensing, Sidney Powell, and Jenna Ellis, a truly great team, added to our other wonderful lawyers and representatives!
@realdonaldtrump
10:11 PM November 14, 2020
Quote:
Trump campaign Statement on Legal Team

Sidney Powell is practicing the law on her own. She is not a member of the Trump Legal Team. She is also not a lawyer for the President in his personal capacity"

-- Rudy Giuliani, Attorney for President Trump, and Jenna Ellis, Trump senior campaign adviser and Attorney for President Trump
November 22nd 2020
Wow! She's too

even for Team Orange!
Old 2020-11-23, 20:45   #522
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27A916 Posts

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-11-23 at 20:46
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 00:34   #523
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,089 Posts
Default Come back here and take what's coming to ya! I'll bite your legs off!

US agency ascertains Biden as winner, lets transition begin
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The General Services Administration ascertained Monday that President-elect Joe Biden is the "apparent winner" of the Nov. 3 election, clearing the way for the start of the transition from President Donald Trump's administration and allowing Biden to coordinate with federal agencies on plans for taking over on Jan. 20.

Trump, who had refused to concede the election, said in a tweet that he is directing his team to cooperate on the transition but is vowing to keep up the fight.

Administrator Emily Murphy made the determination after Trump efforts to subvert the vote failed across battleground states, citing, "recent developments involving legal challenges and certifications of election results." Michigan certified Biden's victory Monday, and a federal judge in Pennsylvania tossed a Trump campaign lawsuit on Saturday seeking to prevent certification in that state.
Old 2020-11-24, 00:41   #524
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,567 Posts

Quote:
Finally!!!

As an outsider, it's fascinating watching this from afar.

I hope a deep refactoring of the US of A's Software (read: Laws) can be done (I know it will take years, if not decades) so this type of thing is less likely to occur again in the future.

"He can't do that!" "Where is it codified that he can't?"
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 01:10   #525
mathwiz

Mar 2019

11×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I hope a deep refactoring of the US of A's Software (read: Laws) can be done (I know it will take years, if not decades) so this type of thing is less likely to occur again in the future.
My take is that there's too much tech debt to even attempt a refactoring, and it's better to throw everything out and start from scratch with a ground-up rewrite.
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 02:15   #526
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

101228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Finally!!!

As an outsider, it's fascinating watching this from afar.

"He can't do that!" "Where is it codified that he can't?"
The 2012 YouTube video linked to in this early 2018 post offers a different diagnosis.
Old 2020-11-24, 04:14   #527
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

Quote:
I am also reminded of the scene in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz where the Wicked Witch of the West said, You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! MELTING! Oh, what a world, what a world...
Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!
Old 2020-11-24, 04:27   #528
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101010012 Posts

Quote:
OMFG!!! So long past time. Not that I have great, or even kinda, sorta, mediocre expectations for our newest Mr Big, AKA Fearless Leader. Better than the hoped-for departing T-Thing is an exceedingly low bar. Now that B-Thing is elected the gloves have to come off from the Left. Progressives have to out-pressure the Right.

However, depending on the Georgia Senate outcomes, pressure on Joe will be pretty meaningless, even if it is effective.