mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2014-12-07, 12:47   #1
wildrabbitt

Jul 2014

6778 Posts
Default running OS in text mode

Hi,

I've set up a machine running ubuntu. I've got mprime going.

I've started running the OS in text mode.

Can someone tell me if there is any advantage in doing this?
wildrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 14:18   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3·13·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrabbitt View Post
Hi,

I've set up a machine running ubuntu. I've got mprime going.

I've started running the OS in text mode.

Can someone tell me if there is any advantage in doing this?
Yeah, you don't get mouse-shoulder. You also tend to learn more about how the OS really works, though this is only a tendency and not a guarantee.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2014-12-07 at 14:19
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 16:29   #3
chris2be8

Sep 2009

23·52·11 Posts

If you shut down the GUI it frees the memory the GUI would use. How much that helps depends how much memory the system has and how much you need for mprime (and any other software you are running).

Screen output in text mode uses less CPU time that screen output via a GUI. This is only significant if the application is writing a lot of screen output though.

Chris

PS. The first system I used had a teleprinter for output with paper tape for mass storage. But that was a long time ago.
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 09:58   #4
wildrabbitt

Jul 2014

3×149 Posts

Okay, thanks for all that.

Apparently, LL tests don't use a lot of memory.

Still, it makes sense that if the CPU has less work to do in addition to the LL tests, then it aught to get on with them faster.
wildrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 14:57   #5
Mark Rose

"/X\(β€˜-β€˜)/X\"
Jan 2013

37·79 Posts

It makes more of a difference if you're mfaktc/mfakto/cudalucas, which use the GPU.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 16:52   #6
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

507610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrabbitt View Post
Okay, thanks for all that.

Apparently, LL tests don't use a lot of memory.

Still, it makes sense that if the CPU has less work to do in addition to the LL tests, then it aught to get on with them faster.
This is valid, but you're talking less than one part in a thousand. It's like saying that clearly your car must be faster with the windows up, because there is less wind resistance.
Consider: on a quad-core desktop, you have ~12 billion cycles available per second. Redrawing a screen might take a million? Back in the PII era, at 400Mhz, this was maybe 1-2% faster to run without a GUI. We're 30+ times faster now, and GPUs do most of the screen-calculation work now anyway.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 17:00   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3·13·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
This is valid, but you're talking less than one part in a thousand. It's like saying that clearly your car must be faster with the windows up, because there is less wind resistance.
Consider: on a quad-core desktop, you have ~12 billion cycles available per second. Redrawing a screen might take a million? Back in the PII era, at 400Mhz, this was maybe 1-2% faster to run without a GUI. We're 30+ times faster now, and GPUs do most of the screen-calculation work now anyway.
As George has posted elsewhere, Prime95 is memory limited rather than cpu limited. Anything which reduces memory accesses will also speed up Prime95.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 10:41   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

I am disappointed that no one has suggested simply testing it on the target system and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Try it with a GUI. Then try it again without a GUI. Did you see any difference? If not then use whatever mode you are most comfortable with. If there is a significant difference then weigh up the loss of a GUI against the gain in speed and see which suits you best.

And ignore all of the above handwaving and guesswork by those posters that are merely speculating and pulling figures out of nowhere.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 16:53   #9
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

27178 Posts

I have pure "text" based Linux, even compile kernel and remove anything except I really need to Linux work and to get picture on monitor.
And with all that I maybe have 1% faster machine then same on Windows with full GUI.
Bit since that computer is with me now for two years, I like that approach, you can write small commands, write in console.... it is like a funny :)
So , answer, no, you will not get it faster with simple "text" mode Linux...
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 18:20   #10
chris2be8

Sep 2009

23·52·11 Posts

To give a few figures based on actual experience.

Shutting down the GUI will probably save a few tens to hundreds of Mbytes of memory. Which probably won't make much difference on a newish system with several Gbytes of memory.

Writing screen output is only significant if an application is writing hundreds or thousands of lines per second. Eg msieve polynomial selection. I have seen this, that's why when I updated factMsieve.pl to multithread polynomial selection I made it put output into a file instead of to the screen.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 06:50   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

2·32·563 Posts

On an older machine of mine, I used to run it in safe mode when I was at work. The amount of extra crunching was worth the 2 reboots. And if I was going to be away for a weekend, I would make sure to do safe mode. I have yet to test my current machine.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote