Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Astronomers have found enormous rotating structures. They look like tendrils and are composed of galaxies:

https://www.reviewgeek.com/88291/ast...ce/#htg=956752
Quote:
... tendrils of galaxies measuring several hundred light-years long ...
So, not actually very large then.Wot?

Our galaxy is ~100,000 light year wide. I'd consider that larger than "several hundred" light years.
This reminds me of the game "Telephone." Expanding on the above article quote,
Quote:
A new scientific study found that tendrils of galaxies measuring several hundred light-years long are the largest known spinning object in our universe. These cosmic filaments are composed of multiple galaxies, making them—if you can wrap your mind around that—incredibly large.
Going the the article reviewgeek linked to,
Quote:
Astronomers discover largest known spinning structures in the universe

By Charles Q. Choi 3 days ago

They're hundreds of millions of light-years long.

Tendrils of galaxies up to hundreds of millions of light-years long may be the largest spinning objects in the universe, a new study finds.
So reviewgeek
  • couldn't even quote accurately from the article it used as a source. You've really got to work at screwing this up, since copy-paste would give an a verbatim quotation.
  • Furthermore, it named its source article as the study, which it isn't.
The article Reviewgeek quoted is just a summary, not the actual study. The actual scientific publication is here.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2021-06-17 at 15:35 Reason: Remove URL tracking codes. You can do this yourself.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 11:28   #2906
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·23·179 Posts

Why female mongooses all give birth at the same time
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 15:46   #2907
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

143228 Posts

Vestiges of a Volcanic Arc Hidden Within Chicxulub Crater

The essential guide to the algorithms that run your life

“Mozart Effect” Dampens Epileptic Brain Activity, Could Lead to Seizure-Reducing Music Therapy

Study finds brain areas involved in seeking information about bad possibilities

Archaeologists Propose 4,500-Year-Old Burial Mound Was World’s First Military Memorial

How Animals Color Themselves With Nanoscale Structures

A deep look at a speck of human brain reveals never-before-seen quirks

Neuroscientists Have Discovered a Phenomenon That They Can’t Explain

Theories of Everything, Mapped

On the Link Between Great Thinking and Obsessive Walking

The Heretical Origins of the Sonnet

Many People Have a Vivid ‘Mind’s Eye,’ While Others Have None at All

Endless scrolling through social media can literally make you sick

Record-breaking light has more than a quadrillion electron volts of energy

How to Rewrite the Laws of Physics in the Language of Impossibility

How Our Brains Build Models of the World While We Sleep, Daydream and Hallucinate

First Nuclear Detonation Created ‘Impossible’ Quasicrystals

New details on what happened in the first microsecond of Big Bang

Signs of Ancient Microbial Life Abundant in Earth’s Crust: Study

What Octopus Dreams Tell Us About the Evolution of Sleep

The Logic Puzzle You Can Only Solve with Your Brightest Friend

A Number Theorist Who Connects Math to Other Creative Pursuits

Google has mapped a piece of human brain in the most detail ever
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 16:00   #2908
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

250348 Posts

I have aphantasia and have done all my life.

Now wondering whether it is correlated with ASD.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this article.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-29, 14:55   #2909
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

110728 Posts

Observation of Gravitational Waves from Two Neutron Star–Black Hole Coalescences (Copy-paste to a plain-vanilla text file was not kind to the fancy formatting; I have improvised)
Quote:
Abstract

We report the observation of gravitational waves from two compact binary coalescences in LIGO's and Virgo's third observing run with properties consistent with neutron star–black hole (NSBH) binaries. The two events are named GW200105_162426 and GW200115_042309, abbreviated as GW200105 and GW200115; the first was observed by LIGO Livingston and Virgo and the second by all three LIGO–Virgo detectors. The source of GW200105 has component masses 8.9 -1.5 to +1.2 and 1.9 -0.2 to +0.3 Msun, whereas the source of GW200115 has component masses 5.7 -2.1 to +1.8 and 1.5 -0.3 to +0.7 Msun (all measurements quoted at the 90% credible level). The probability that the secondary's mass is below the maximal mass of a neutron star is 89%–96% and 87%–98%, respectively, for GW200105 and GW200115, with the ranges arising from different astrophysical assumptions. The source luminosity distances are 280 -110 to +110 and 300 -100 to +150 Mpc, respectively. The magnitude of the primary spin of GW200105 is less than 0.23 at the 90% credible level, and its orientation is unconstrained. For GW200115, the primary spin has a negative spin projection onto the orbital angular momentum at 88% probability. We are unable to constrain the spin or tidal deformation of the secondary component for either event. We infer an NSBH merger rate density of 45 -33 to +75 Gpc-3 yr-1 when assuming that GW200105 and GW200115 are representative of the NSBH population or 130 -69 to +112 Gpc-3 yr-1 under the assumption of a broader distribution of component masses.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-09, 15:11   #2911
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×23×179 Posts

Mathematicians Prove Symmetry of Phase Transitions
Old 2021-07-14, 00:52   #2912
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Brady

2×193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
In my view is that it takes skill to explain anything. I'm pretty sure that Richard Feynman could have made an excellent attempt.

At a different level, I have successfully taught basic {QM,GR,topology,group theory,number theory} to friends and relatives, some of whom have been significantly pre-pubescent.

You may, or may not, be surprised at what 6 year old kids can understand if they are taught properly. An important pre-cursor is to explain that everything, absolutely everything, is a simplification. That very much includes what I and their school teachers have to say. If they grasp that concept they are fully prepared for everything they hear afterwards.
Agreed in principle. I have taught, coached and instructed..grand kids, teenagers, adults and old farts .. math, physics (theoretical and applied), baseball (throw the ball to the ability of the person intended to catch it), spring board diving, parachuting, weaponry, wilderness survival (jungle, mountain, desert, urban (yes..it's a wilderness) and some medical skills (theoretical and applied..toxicology, splints, wounds..band-aids and more). I too am willing to learn and teach myself. Learning to think better is like learning to read then writing Nobel worthy poetry.
As cases in point, consider jumping down a cliff with only a rope (no safety..and Alexander's spider men come to mind) to the bottom. You learn to trust your equipment and those around you. Some people just won't jump out of a perfectly good airplane no matter how good you tell them their parachute is. Others panic when at the bottom of a ten foot deep pool when told to take their mask and respirator off ..then put them back on after ten seconds. Never mind dive tables or all the other medical issues that can take place at a real depth doing more than taking in the scenery.
My point is aptitude..you can lead a horse to water (maybe not a donkey though) but you can't make it drink. Kids are fun though and fart jokes always win..the stinkier the better.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2021-07-14 at 00:58
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-16, 19:35   #2913
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·23·179 Posts

How Many Numbers Exist? Infinity Proof Moves Math Closer to an Answer.
Old 2021-07-16, 20:24   #2914
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22·5·72·11 Posts

My eaction is "meh".

There are (at least) a countably infinite ways of axiomatizing mathematics. Gödel proved this 90 years ago.

One axiomatization includes the Continuum Hypothesis (CH) as an axiom. Another includes its negation, ~CH. Both can be proved to be consistent. The latest result appeals to those who find ~CH more attractive.

Compare plane geometry and Euclid's axiom which states that there is precisely one line passing through a point and parallel to a line which does not pass through that line. Each of the axioms which replace "precisely one" with "precisely zero" or "an infinite number of" generate consistent geometries --- spherical geometry and hyperbolic geometry respectively. All three are useful in practice.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote