Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2012-07-25, 23:57   #1
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts
Default 5 easy pieces for davieddy

OK, so my need for reason, as well as blatant curiosity have gotten the best of me. Here goes:

Davieddy, could you please, in a clear, cogent, and concise manner - without appealing to nebulously related YouTube links - explain the following:

(1) If you were in charge of GIMPS/PrimeNet, what changes would you make to the assignment system? Why? How would they benefit the project?

(2) How is Chalsall's GPUto72 (and any other germane programs/protocols) detracting from your goals in (1)? Please provide an explanation as well as any examples or evidence that supports your position.

(3) In your opinion, is there *any* room at all in GIMPS/PrimeNet for the projects alluded to in (2)? If not, why not? How might we improve these projects so that they are a better fit within the GIMPS/PrimeNet scheme?

Thank you for your indulgence in these matters. I look forward to learning more about your positions.

If others have ideas for other questions or comments, please feel free to add to the discussion. I am interested in resolving the constant tension between what is seemingly a useful addition to the project (i.e. GPUto72) and davieddy's ire, yet unwillingness to clarify his objectives/opinions regarding such.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:59   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:12   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×41×61 Posts

!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:25   #4
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Notice that I asked for clear, cogent, and concise. I also alluded to a prohibition on random, nebulously related YouTube spam.

I feel that we should give him a chance to participate in an intelligent dialogue on the matter. If he continues to be incapable of this, then any further posts of his regarding GPUto72 etc. should be immediately disregarded, and possibly even deleted.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:39   #5
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

134458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
I feel that we should give him a chance to participate in an intelligent dialogue on the matter. If he continues to be incapable of this, then any further posts of his regarding GPUto72 etc. should be immediately disregarded, and possibly even deleted.
Sounds reasonable.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:44   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
If he continues to be incapable of this, then any further posts of his regarding GPUto72 etc. should be immediately disregarded, and possibly even deleted.
That's what we were already doing.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:52   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·41·61 Posts

Quote:
Notice that I asked for clear, cogent, and concise. I also alluded to a prohibition on random, nebulously related YouTube spam.....
Indeed. It is a well crafted request. Thanks for laying it out, and for the motivations behind the effort.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 01:31   #8
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

5×433 Posts

kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 02:05   #9
c10ck3r

Aug 2010
Kansas

10001000112 Posts
Default Hypocritic?

Quote:
Notice that I asked for clear, cogent, and concise. I also alluded to a prohibition on random, nebulously related YouTube spam.

How is it that, in a thread meant specifically for daveiddy's response, four people have already decided that they should post pointless smilies and pictures (and other such spam) blasting him for doing the exact same thing? Does this make you better than him? Do y'all get some kind of pre-pubescent kick out of this?

Chrissake, I'm 18 and sometimes I'd swear I'm more mature than the lot of you college-degree flaunting boneheads...

Small print: No specific insults intended to those members who contribute to any maths projects or any other peeps, its just irritating to see such hypocrisy.
c10ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 02:54   #10
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
OK, so my need for reason, as well as blatant curiosity have gotten the best of me. Here goes:

Davieddy, could you please, in a clear, cogent, and concise manner - without appealing to nebulously related YouTube links - explain the following:

(1) If you were in charge of GIMPS/PrimeNet, what changes would you make to the assignment system? Why? How would they benefit the project?
I would introduce a work-type called "TF to the appropriate
level in one assignment".
This would be made available only to GPUs, and in a narrow range in front of the LL wave. 200 or so are needed per day to keep ahead of the wavefront, and ATM, this is what determines the "appropriate" level.
Quote:
(2) How is Chalsall's GPUto72 (and any other germane programs/protocols) detracting from your goals in (1)? Please provide an explanation as well as any examples or evidence that supports your position.
The rate of LL completion is proportional to the number of tests in progress. The first sentence in Chalsall's "mission statement" is "to compress the wavefront(sic)" which obviously results in decreasing the number of tests in progress. He is succeeding admirably in this goal, and hogging much of the GPU firepower.
Allied to the excessive DC effort, he is also depriving slower workers of suitably low exponents to test. Since TFing on a CPU is now silly, this must deter potential new participants.
Most GPUers would prefer to TF an exponent from 69 to 73 than from 72 to 73.
So abandon this sprawling "one bit at a time" effort between 60M and 100M: IT IS COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.
Quote:
(3) In your opinion, is there *any* room at all in GIMPS/PrimeNet for the projects alluded to in (2)? If not, why not? How might we improve these projects so that they are a better fit within the GIMPS/PrimeNet scheme?
Any spare capacity (after implementing my suggestion in 1) could be used to TF returned expos one bit at a time starting with the highest. However this should not interfere with the assignment of LLs
which is is another of Chalsall's follies.
Quote:
Thank you for your indulgence in these matters. I look forward to learning more about your positions.
If others have ideas for other questions or comments, please feel free to add to the discussion. I am interested in resolving the constant tension between what is seemingly a useful addition to the project (i.e. GPUto72) and davieddy's ire, yet unwillingness to clarify his objectives/opinions regarding such.
I have consistently maintained and described endlessly my position as described above for about two years.
I am aware that it is diametrically opposite to what is currwntly happening.
Nobody has refuted it. They just move/delete posts and/or ban me.

The "expected" time to the next Mprime discovery has remained at
~6 years for 2 years now. Maintaining this requires a modest increase
in computing effort of 20% per year.
I think we should be doing better than this

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2012-07-26 at 03:10
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 03:13   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×31×47 Posts

Once upon a time the communism was in its glory, and everybody was happy. The engine-of-communism was running at full power. One day, the engine stopped. The communists asked for experts from all around the world to fix the communism engine. All kind of experts came, but no one was able to fix it. And everybody was very sad. They promised big awards to the guy who would be able to fix the engine. More experts came. No one could fix it. It was such a complicate thing, and no matter what they would do, the engine didn't want to start. Joe Average was watching on the fence and suddenly he saw a strange thing. He went there and put his hands inside and - amazing - the engine started running. Hundreds of experts came around him and all asked what the problem was, and how did he fixed it. And he told them the truth: he observed someone misplaced a hose: the gasoline didn't go to the motor anymore, it went to the horn...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-07-26 at 03:14
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote