Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2011-03-27, 12:57   #1
thureduehrsen

Mar 2011
Kiel, Germany

102 Posts
Default User summary page: CPU results last 24 hours

Hi everyone,

I used to have a computer running Prime95 (the Windows version) crunching numbers about 16 hours a day. That computer was permanently disconnected from the Internet, and subsequently the GIMPS project, in June 2010.

I recently got a new machine and installed Prime95 (the linux version) on it and set it to run about 8 hours a day. So far, everything has been running fine, and I removed the old computer from the PrimeNet account.

However, the moment I did that I noticed that the 'CPU results last 24 hours' chart displayed 1543 per cent, with the arrow pinned to the far right of the rainbow. Right now, it shows 619 per cent.

The 'CPU results last 90 days' chart is at 18 per cent, even though I've been running the software for just a day and a half or so.

Someone wouldn't happen to know how to interpret the charts?

Thanks in advance,

Thure Duehrsen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1543.png
Views:	115
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	6395  
thureduehrsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 14:53   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2·11·199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thureduehrsen View Post
Hi everyone,

I used to have a computer running Prime95 (the Windows version) crunching numbers about 16 hours a day. That computer was permanently disconnected from the Internet, and subsequently the GIMPS project, in June 2010.

I recently got a new machine and installed Prime95 (the linux version) on it and set it to run about 8 hours a day. So far, everything has been running fine, and I removed the old computer from the PrimeNet account.

However, the moment I did that I noticed that the 'CPU results last 24 hours' chart displayed 1543 per cent, with the arrow pinned to the far right of the rainbow. Right now, it shows 619 per cent.

The 'CPU results last 90 days' chart is at 18 per cent, even though I've been running the software for just a day and a half or so.

Someone wouldn't happen to know how to interpret the charts?

Thanks in advance,

Thure Duehrsen
As I understand it these graphs compare your actual results (in Ghz Days) in the given time period to the expected results.

When you first join or when you add a new PC it computes this based on the CPU speed, # of cores, hours per day you run Prime 95, RAM allocated, etc.

Then over time it adjusts/averages this expected value based on your actual results. I have had PC's where the initial estimates was very close and other where it was out by a factor of 3X and it took a couple months until the averaging algorithm got it to the correct value.

The charts can fluctuate wildly over time depending on when the results are turned in; you could go days or weeks with NO results and the graphs will drop. Then in one day you could turn in 4 large LL tests. This would cause a spike in the daily graph. The 90 day sgraph will stabilize more over time as your pattern of work/results becomes better understood.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 12:42   #3
thureduehrsen

Mar 2011
Kiel, Germany

2 Posts

.tfel raf eht ta kcuts won si trahc ruoh-42 ehT .elbisualp sdnuos taht ,haeY
thureduehrsen is offline   Reply With Quote