mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-09-26, 13:27   #1475
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×5×331 Posts
Default Crisis? What crisis?

When the Great State of Alaska joined the Great State of Idaho in enacting crisis standards of care, a Queen of Denial went into action: Must Read Alaska publishes false claims regarding Alaska hospital crisis
Quote:
In recent days, the popular conservative blog Must Read Alaska has published multiple pieces of media that attempt to cast doubt on the existence or severity of Alaska's current hospital capacity crisis. A September 22 article, authored by Must Read Alaska owner Suzanne Downing and titled "Anchorage doctor: ‘There is no rationing of care," purports to be the anonymous account of a doctor who works at both Providence and Alaska Regional. A September 21 video, which Downing falsely claims was shot in the ER "waiting room," shows empty chairs in an unused area in the hospital.
<snip>
On September 21, Downing posted a video to Must Read Alaska social media captioned "An Anchorage woman strolls through the emergency room waiting room at Providence and finds the place pretty empty." The video appears to show a person pushing a stroller through a waiting area full of empty chairs. Downing embedded the video in her September 22 article, preceding it with the following claim:

"A Must Read Alaska reader corroborated the doctor's story with a stroll through the emergency room welcome area of Providence hospital. The place was nearly empty, as shown in her video that she shared with Must Read Alaska."

The video was flooded with comments by Must Read Alaska readers, thanking the blog for sharing the "truth" about the COVID crisis in Alaska hospitals.

But there's just one problem: the video doesn't show the ER waiting room. In fact, multiple Providence staff confirmed with the Landmine that the video shows a walkway in the main Providence lobby area, which is typically occupied by visitors. One doctor told the Landmine that visitors have not been allowed in Providence since September 6. The person filming is turned around by security before reaching the actual ER waiting area, which is not seen in the video.

To date, Downing has not issued a correction, retraction, or apology regarding her false statements about the video.
<snip>
I've attached the screenshot from the article. I've seen walkways in hospitals that look like that, but I've never seen an ER waiting room that looks like that. Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-suzanne-downing-conspiracy-theory.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	25773  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 00:04   #1476
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

3·223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
When the Great State of Alaska joined the Great State of Idaho in enacting crisis standards of care, a Queen of Denial went into action: Must Read Alaska publishes false claims regarding Alaska hospital crisis
I've attached the screenshot from the article. I've seen walkways in hospitals that look like that, but I've never seen an ER waiting room that looks like that. Anyone?
I worked in a medium size hospital before retiring recently and I agree with the quoted article paragraph that begins "But there's one problem". Our ER ( now called trauma centers, BTW ) went thru 2 expansions and it never looked like this. It DOES bear quite a resemblance to the reception area of our cardiac center. The room in the pic is HUGE. Just count the number of square arches in the rhs of the pic that gradually get smaller due to perspective ( I count 5). Even our main lobby isn't that big. Our hospital restricts any excess people very seriously; usually only one person is to accompany the patient. Period. If more people are needed to handle the patient, this should be done by orderlies and not outsiders.
All in all, yet another pathetic example of trying to bend reality to fit their warped view.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 02:02   #1477
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

115458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Our hospital restricts any excess people very seriously; usually only one person is to accompany the patient.
<snip>
Exactly. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the only glass doors into the ER waiting room I've seen have been from outside - not from another part of the hospital. And when you come in that glass door, you're looking straight at the front desk. If you want to enter the ER waiting room from another part of the hospital, you have to have Security open the door for you, because it's solid, and locked from the inside. No problem - if you have a current VISITOR badge to show Security!

And - forgive my skepticism - large potted plants and an elevator (stainless steel panel in the background on the left) in an ER waiting room?
Old 2021-09-27, 15:25   #1478
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

22·32·5·11 Posts

Quote:
This seems really large for an ER waiting area. I am guessing the reason for the original article is high mileage on the carpet and/or a lack of cleaning. BTW, what is it in the distance that looks like a golden "Jabba The Hutt?"
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 16:41   #1479
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29×199 Posts

Quote:
I've seen walkways in hospitals that look like that, but I've never seen an ER waiting room that looks like that. Anyone?
Not a waiting area. It's a corridor by an exterior wall probably with a good view of the parking lot. There's a newish facility laid out similarly near Madison WI. It's a fair hike from the main entrance or ER entrance to either end or various departments branching off along the way. It seems prudent to put some seating along the way for folks who are not in wheelchairs yet but maybe on crutches or using walkers or get winded easily, or who drove the patient there for scheduled appointments and are waiting in the hall. Covid19 led to some entrances along what seemed a quarter-mile hallway to be locked preventing more efficient entrance, so as to funnel all incoming patients to one or two inbound checkpoints for the usual redundant CV19 symptoms quiz and infrared-forehead-thermometry. Thereby ensuring the mobility impaired have a longer walk/limp/roll/whatever. One end has whole weight rooms, arrays of exam rooms, gymnasiums, pool, etc, for PT, rehab, sports conditioning, etc. Roughly cartesian coordinates for finding where you need to be, rather than the hexagonal confusion created at https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...310302!5m1!1e4

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-27 at 16:50
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-27, 23:26   #1480
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×5×331 Posts

Police Officer Joseph J. Kurer
Quote:
Fond du Lac Police Department, Wisconsin

End of Watch Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Police Officer Joseph Kurer died from complications as the result of contracting COVID-19 in the line of duty.

Officer Kurer was a United States Army veteran. He had served with the Fond du Lac Police Department for three years. He is survived by his wife, two children, parents, and sister.

BIO
Age 26
Tour 3 years
Badge 26
Military Veteran
INCIDENT DETAILS
Cause COVID19
Incident Date Monday, August 2, 2021
Old 2021-10-01, 12:21   #1481
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·331 Posts

Merck says experimental pill cuts worst effects of COVID-19
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Merck & Co. said Friday that its experimental COVID-19 pill reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half in people recently infected with the coronavirus and that it would soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize its use.

If cleared, Merck's drug would be the first pill shown to treat COVID-19, a potentially major advance in efforts to fight the pandemic. All COVID-19 therapies now authorized in the U.S. require an IV or injection.
<snip>
"It exceeded what I thought the drug might be able to do in this clinical trial," said Dr. Dean Li, vice president of Merck research. "When you see a 50% reduction in hospitalization or death that's a substantial clinical impact."

Side effects were reported by both groups in the Merck trial, but they were slightly more common among the group that received a dummy pill. The company did not specify the problems.

Earlier study results showed the drug did not benefit patients who were already hospitalized with severe disease.
<snip>
The U.S. government has committed to purchase 1.7 million doses of the drug if it is authorized by the FDA. Merck has said it can produce 10 million doses by the end of the year and has contracts with governments worldwide. The company has not announced prices.

Several other companies, including Pfizer and Roche, are studying similar drugs that could report results in the coming weeks and months.
<snip>
Old 2021-10-06, 00:31   #1482
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×5×331 Posts

Sununu seeks removal of panel chair over false COVID claims
Quote:
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Gov. Chris Sununu is calling for the removal of a state representative, a fellow Republican, from his position as head of the legislative fiscal committee, saying the lawmaker is continuing to spread COVID-19 misinformation.

Last month, Rep. Ken Weyler, of Kingston, told state Health Commissioner Lori Shibinette at a committee hearing he doubted the state's figures showing that 90% people who are hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated. Shibinette said that was incorrect and was misinformation.

On Monday, Democratic committee member Rep. Mary Jane Wallner released a statement saying Weyler sent the entire committee an email containing a 52-page "report" with disinformation on COVID-19, including claims that live creatures with tentacles are entering people's bodies through the vaccine and that technology was placed in the vaccine to control people's thoughts. Sununu said in a statement Monday that he has "repeatedly expressed" to House Speaker Sherman Packard the need to remove Weyler from his leadership position, calling the latest emails "absurd" and saying they have "accelerated the urgency that the Speaker needs to take action."
<snip>
A little digging showed that the email included "The Vaccine Death Report."

The primary source of this "report," for those who dare, is Stop World Control. The header there says

Quote:
WORLD LEADERS WARN HUMANITY

Humanity's leading voices in the fields of science, healthcare, law and journalism are speaking out. Listen to these heroes of humanity, who risk everything to inform you about what is truly happening in the world today.
Photos, left to right: TRIAL LAWYERS (Reiner Fuellmich); MEDICAL DOCTORS (Simone Gold); TOP SCIENTISTS (Andreas Kalcker); VACCINE EXPERTS (Carrie Madej)

For the curious, I took the liberty of identifying the people in the photos by name. I've mentioned Simone Gold in an earlier post. For those who are too "Internet sewer hesitant" to click on the "Stop World Control" link, looking up those names may be entertaining.
Old 2021-10-06, 17:32   #1483
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·331 Posts

Company recalls nearly 200,000 at-home COVID-19 test kits over false positives
Quote:
COVID-19 test kit maker Ellume is recalling some at-home tests after learning that they were reporting a higher-than-expected rate of false positive results indicating someone has the virus when they do not.

The Australian company has said the tests were shipped to U.S. retailers and other distributors from April through August. It published a list on its website of the lot numbers on test packages affected by the recall.

The company said about 427,000 tests are in the lots identified in the recall, and nearly 200,000 are unused. Ellume said tests from those lots may provide false positive results at a rate higher than researchers saw during clinical testing.
<snip>
Old 2021-10-07, 15:50   #1484
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

496510 Posts

Followup to this post about doings in New Hampshire:

Weyler resigns as chairman of House Finance, Joint Fiscal committees
Quote:
Rep. Ken Weyler resigned as the chairman of the House Finance Committee and the Joint Legislative Fiscal Committee Wednesday, two days after sending his committee a conspiracy-laden document claiming tentacled creatures are infiltrating people who receive COVID-19 vaccines.

In a statement, House Speaker Sherman Packard said he had "reluctantly" accepted Weyler's resignation.
Old 2021-10-07, 17:01   #1485
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

115458 Posts

Pfizer asks US to allow COVID shots for kids ages 5 to 11
Quote:
Pfizer asked the U.S. government Thursday to allow use of its COVID-19 vaccine in children ages 5 to 11 in what would be a major expansion that could combat an alarming rise in serious infections in youngsters and help schools stay open.
<snip>
The Food and Drug Administration will have to decide whether the shots are safe and effective in elementary school-age children. An independent expert panel will publicly debate the evidence on Oct. 26.
<snip>
If the FDA authorizes emergency use of the kid-size doses, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will make a final decision, after hearing from its outside advisers.
<snip>
Moderna has requested FDA permission to use its vaccine in 12- to 17-year-olds and also is studying its shots in elementary school children. Both Pfizer and Moderna are studying even younger children as well, down to 6-month-olds. Results are expected later in the year.
<snip>