Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-11-20, 16:25   #4401
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Would work very nicely on the moon where orbital velocity is very much lower than here and where there isn't an atmosphere in the way.

No need to produce chemical fuels from local water either as it could be powered from photovoltaics or a fission reactor flown in from the Earth.
When xilman talks, the US government listens!

NASA seeks ideas for a nuclear reactor on the moon
Quote:
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - If anyone has a good idea on how to put a nuclear fission power plant on the moon, the U.S. government wants to hear about it.

NASA and the nation's top federal nuclear research lab on Friday put out a request for proposals for a fission surface power system.

NASA is collaborating with the U.S. Department of Energy's Idaho National Laboratory to establish a sun-independent power source for missions to the moon by the end of the decade.

"Providing a reliable, high-power system on the moon is a vital next step in human space exploration, and achieving it is within our grasp," Sebastian Corbisiero, the Fission Surface Power Project lead at the lab, said in a statement.
It took me a while to track down the actual request, which AFAICT is the one here. There are two PDF files there. The design requirements mentioned in the AP story are in the "Contract Binder" file.

I was unable to confirm the due date
Quote:
The proposal requests are for an initial system design and must be submitted by Feb. 19.
given in the news story. The actual request says
Quote:
Original Date Offers Due: Feb 17, 2022 04:00 pm MST

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-11-20 at 16:59 Reason: Supply additional quote from news story
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-30, 07:50   #4402
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

11·881 Posts
Cool "10 stupid questions to..." "...a mathematician"

There was a good Russian modernist poet who adapted to the 1917 revolution and became a sort of an agitator and propagandist - and as a result, in particular, wrote some lines that make any sensible person puke their lunch, like "I'd learn Russian merely because it was spoken by Lenin." (...but we still like him. And you can use "Lenin" as a placeholder for Pushkin, Perelman, etc etc)

So that video above is one that will make you want to learn Russian (or find some subtitles in your language*).
If you won't, I'll give you a gist: there are some familiar topics in "A beautiful mind", in "Pi" ... or actually in the game of Go. That is: in math, more than so in other sciences, there are levels upon levels upon levels of understanding. And many people are only destined to reach some level but never higher. And that people from level N can disinguish and rank their colleagues of levels [1..N-1] but they have no slightest idea how to tell apart people on level N+1 or N+2 (cf. Dunning-Kruger). Very similar to Go - which is a very neat metaphor to understanding life and math.
Old 2021-11-30, 14:25   #4403
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
<snip>
There was a good Russian modernist poet who adapted to the 1917 revolution and became a sort of an agitator and propagandist - and as a result, in particular, wrote some lines that make any sensible person puke their lunch, like "I'd learn Russian merely because it was spoken by Lenin." (...but we still like him. And you can use "Lenin" as a placeholder for Pushkin, Perelman, etc etc)
<snip>
Apparently Lenin had a reputation as quite the orator. I heard attributed to one of the old Bolsheviks which was, as best I can recall: "When Trotsky spoke, we stood enthralled. When Lenin spoke - we marched."
Old 2021-12-13, 16:33   #4404
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

255758 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	musk_time.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	26217  
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-13, 17:02   #4405
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
[Starlink fouling the commons]
LOL... But...

Which is worse? Large LEO constellations with predictable orbits which can be subtracted from the sampled data-set?

Or ASAT tests (and second stages left in an uncontrolled state) which introduce serious (but largely unpredictable) risks of cascade?

I'm not being flippant here. I would very much welcome the thinking from those who actually work in this space (no joke intended).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-13, 17:41   #4406
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

101000000000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Or ASAT tests demonstration
Fixed that for you.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-13, 20:46   #4407
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

535410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Which is worse? Large LEO constellations with predictable orbits which can be subtracted from the sampled data-set?

Or ASAT tests (and second stages left in an uncontrolled state) which introduce serious (but largely unpredictable) risks of cascade?
What's worse is, the "or" is inclusive. We have both.
Old 2021-12-13, 20:58   #4408
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
What's worse is, the "or" is inclusive. We have both.
I asked our resident astronomers which of the two was the worst.

I know all too well the differences between or, and, xor and not. It's a bit like iff, only different...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 14:29   #4409
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23×1,051 Posts

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 21:35   #4410
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

22×29×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
CHUNGUS2
Predecessor to the Quantum computer?

Let it devour some 100M digit PRP tests!!!!

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2021-12-22 at 21:36
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-26, 16:45   #4411
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

31×197 Posts

Collective intelligence including AI/human mix https://www.forbes.com/sites/ganeske...are-you-ready/

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Predecessor to the Quantum computer?

Let it devour some 100M digit PRP tests!!!!
Did you miss the part about ONE HERTZ clock rate, 16-bit architecture, and some instructions requiring several clocks? 64 byte data cache, with misses costing 5 cycles (seconds)? Instruction cache, page swaps = 10 cycle (seconds) stall. Up to 4KiB program memory. Where's the ROFL emoji?

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-12-26 at 16:55
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote