Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2022-01-17, 13:41   #1
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts
Default The old ones are sometimes the best.

Anyone else remember this one?

Just discovered it works perfectly under Wine.

I spent many hours playing it almost 30 years ago and started to waste more time this last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.png
Views:	69
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	26434  
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 15:51   #2
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

10001100101112 Posts

I found a d/l and tried it, but all I got was an archive that when extracted didn't get me anywhere further. I'm missing a key bit of knowledge, no doubt.

Along the lines, two of my old favorites were Sherlock and Lemmings, although I haven't really seemed fond of either of their linux offshoots, Einstein and Pingus.

Edit: Found it!

Last fiddled with by EdH on 2022-01-17 at 15:58
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 16:56   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I found a d/l and tried it, but all I got was an archive that when extracted didn't get me anywhere further. I'm missing a key bit of knowledge, no doubt.
Have you installed Wine? All I did was extract the ZIP to a fresh directory, changed there and ran wine CHIPS.EXE
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 17:23   #4
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2×191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Anyone else remember this one?

Just discovered it works perfectly under Wine.

I spent many hours playing it almost 30 years ago and started to waste more time this last weekend.
Yes, Chip's Challenge was first developed for the Handy AKA Atari Lynx (first color hand held console). Chuck Sommerville who developed the game for Epyx then ported it to the IBM PC. Had it been done a couple years earlier we would have also made it for the Commodore C64.

I believe there's a mobile version out that goes under the name Chuck's Challenge - I'm not sure if it has the same levels or not as the original game.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 18:34   #5
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

3×19×79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Have you installed Wine? All I did was extract the ZIP to a fresh directory, changed there and ran wine CHIPS.EXE
Actually, the "open with" for windows programs was set to archiver instead of wine. I figured that out with the second d/l (from a different source). As to your first question in the OP, I don't remember this one, but it is of interest. Some of the block maneuvering reminds me of Enigma.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote