Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2010-08-23, 06:17   #1
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts
Default Separation of GPU contributions

Is it possible to distinguish GIMPS contributions by GPUs from those by CPUs? I think it'd be valuable to have those reported separately, now that GPUs are making significant progress in TFing LMH ranges.

I propose that the PrimeNet/GIMPS databases have a new category established for contributions by Graphical Processing Units, so that these can be tracked separately.

As a start, I urge the invention of some way by which the GPU contributors can include some GPU-designator in their result reports.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 11:23   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×2,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Is it possible to distinguish GIMPS contributions by GPUs from those by CPUs? I think it'd be valuable to have those reported separately, now that GPUs are making significant progress in TFing LMH ranges.

I propose that the PrimeNet/GIMPS databases have a new category established for contributions by Graphical Processing Units, so that these can be tracked separately.

As a start, I urge the invention of some way by which the GPU contributors can include some GPU-designator in their result reports.
Just one question about it: why?

I read a similar question when Pentium 4 was out...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 18:56   #3
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×32×149 Posts

because, as GPU are much faster than CPU, CPu 'competitor' have no chance to catch GPU user. he just want a 'special' category where CPU user can compete each other. (It just remind me of the special olympic. Or for a better image a race of 1/2 miles for men on foot, and the same in dragster... not the same category at all.No offense meant)

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2010-08-23 at 18:59
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 19:02   #4
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2,927 Posts

And what's about users with a great firepower?

Some users have many cores to crunch, others a few or only one!

It's almost the same with GPU's, so I think there shouldn't be a differentiation here.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 19:07   #5
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·23·137 Posts

I think it would interesting to see how much of a contribution is presently coming from GPUs. I don't care about the the other reasons mentioned above. After some time when more GPUs are being used and they become common place then the statistic would no longer be interesting.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 07:05   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Just one question about it: why?
It just struck me as something interesting. I guess there's no important reason.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 23:21   #7
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

11×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I think it would interesting to see how much of a contribution is presently coming from GPUs. I don't care about the the other reasons mentioned above. After some time when more GPUs are being used and they become common place then the statistic would no longer be interesting.
Ditto.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote