mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-09-04, 10:24   #1
Unregistered

5·7·109 Posts
Question Windows going to sleep while Prime95 !

Hello you all and first, thank you to all the staff for this so usefull software !

My computer is set to go sleeping after 15 minutes. I run Prime95, everything is OK, all cpus are 100% working but ... after 15 minutes, the computer is going to sleep !
And, probably the most weird thing, when i wake it up, Prime95 is still working at 100% ...
My problem is that I don't want my computer to go sleeping when cpus are working !!

Anyone of you have an idea about how to solve this problem please ?

My machine specs: Windows 7 Pro x64, motherboard Tyan S7010, 24 Gb Corsair RAM, Enermax Modu87+ (900 W Power supply), Dual Xeon X5680 @3.33GHz, Gainward GTX580.
Note that I do not overclock anything (I lost a whole motherboard at this exciting and dangerous game a while ago ;>)
Old 2011-09-04, 11:23   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello you all and first, thank you to all the staff for this so usefull software !

My computer is set to go sleeping after 15 minutes. I run Prime95, everything is OK, all cpus are 100% working but ... after 15 minutes, the computer is going to sleep !
And, probably the most weird thing, when i wake it up, Prime95 is still working at 100% ...
My problem is that I don't want my computer to go sleeping when cpus are working !!

Anyone of you have an idea about how to solve this problem please ?

My machine specs: Windows 7 Pro x64, motherboard Tyan S7010, 24 Gb Corsair RAM, Enermax Modu87+ (900 W Power supply), Dual Xeon X5680 @3.33GHz, Gainward GTX580.
Note that I do not overclock anything (I lost a whole motherboard at this exciting and dangerous game a while ago ;>)
Quote:
Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
change the settings here.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 17:17   #3
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,451 Posts

If your computer is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity, then it will enter sleep mode regardless of programs being run or not. And it´s normal that when it "wakes up" you see Prime95 running, and therefore 100% CPU usage: the system keeps all images in memory, and picks up the work where it was left.
So nothing weird about your computer´s behaviour.
Now if you don´t want your computer to enter sleep mode when programs (Prime95 in particular) are running, all you have to do is to change the energy saving settings in Control Panel. Just don´t let it enter sleep mode. AFAIK there is no way of avoiding entering sleep mode just because programs are running. The criterion for "inactivity" is no use of the keyboard and/or mouse - no interaction with the user - for a given amount of time.
HTH
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 17:46   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

224608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
AFAIK there is no way of avoiding entering sleep mode just because programs are running. The criterion for "inactivity" is no use of the keyboard and/or mouse - no interaction with the user - for a given amount of time.
Note that this is new behaviour for Windows 7; Windows XP will not enter sleep mode if the CPUs are busy.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 13:44   #5
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,451 Posts

You´re right, and that may be annoying if you want to activate the Suspend or Hibernate mode but at the same time are using programs supposed to run unattended for extended periods of time (e.g. full AV scans or heavy video rendering tasks).
There´s a useful utility called Shutter, that can be downloaded from http://www.den4b.com/?x=downloads&product=shutter, and may solve that issue.
Instead of using the standard Windows sleep/hibernate modes, turn them off and use Shutter to sleep/hibernate the PC x minutes after the CPU goes into low usage mode. This will allow you to finish the tasks and then getting the PC to sleep. There are also other options available (many combinations of events and actions).
Caveat 1: I don´t know whether the sleep mode of Shutter is equivalent to the Hybrid Sleep in Win 7. A shame if it isn´t.
Caveat 2: For us Gimpsters the above procedure won´t be really useful, as our cpus never go into Low Usage mode...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 05:59   #6
Unregistered

170178 Posts
Talking Thanks

Quote:
You´re right, and that may be annoying if you want to activate the Suspend or Hibernate mode but at the same time are using programs supposed to run unattended for extended periods of time (e.g. full AV scans or heavy video rendering tasks).
There´s a useful utility called Shutter, that can be downloaded from http://www.den4b.com/?x=downloads&product=shutter, and may solve that issue.
Instead of using the standard Windows sleep/hibernate modes, turn them off and use Shutter to sleep/hibernate the PC x minutes after the CPU goes into low usage mode. This will allow you to finish the tasks and then getting the PC to sleep. There are also other options available (many combinations of events and actions).
Caveat 1: I don´t know whether the sleep mode of Shutter is equivalent to the Hybrid Sleep in Win 7. A shame if it isn´t.
Caveat 2: For us Gimpsters the above procedure won´t be really useful, as our cpus never go into Low Usage mode...
Thank you for all the explanations guys ! I am going to install Shutter right now and do a test !
But: I recently went for Windows 7 for my new machine because some softwares can only run on this OS (and no more with older ones like XP I used before). And, seriously, there is a LOT of things I prefered with Windows XP than Windows 7. This "sleeping mode" issue is just one of them. I mean: if the user doesn't touch the keyboard nor the mouse BUT the cpu is working, why the hell not let the machine finish the work ? ! It's just amazing !
Anyway, thank you again for the Shutter tip, I have to give it a try
Old 2011-09-06, 06:55   #7
Unregistered

23·617 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for all the explanations guys ! I am going to install Shutter right now and do a test !
But: I recently bought Windows 7 for my new machine because some softwares can only run on this OS, and no more with older ones like XP I used before. And, seriously, there is a LOT of things I perfered with Windows XP than Windows 7. This "sleeping mode" issue is just one of them. I mean: if the user doesn't touch the keyboard nor the mouse BUT the cpu is working, why the hell not let the machine finish the work ? ! It's just amazing !
Anyway, thank you again for the Shutter tip, I have to give it a try.
Old 2013-04-11, 20:12   #8
Unregistered

2×52×73 Posts
Default Power Saving!! BE CAREFUL!

I was just running Prime95 on my FX 8350, didn't realize that the fans would shutoff and the computer would go into sleep mode... Noticed my CPU temp spike... thank god its water cooled though the spike was to like 105 F. Anyone who isn't using water cooling systems may find themselves really overheating their chipset. Please turn sleep mode or suspended hard disk off while running the Prime95 stress tests!!!