Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2011-02-06, 05:58   #1
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2·467 Posts
Question Prime95 and Sleep Mode

Hello,

My wife recently gave the green light for us to get a PC to use as a home theater computer (HTPC). We brought it home the other day, and naturally I wanted to set it to run Prime95.

The morning after I set up the PC, I went in to check Prime95's progress on the four cores , but was disappointed to discover that apparently the program stops when the computer goes into sleep mode. (Not that it should have been a surprise.) So I changed the power settings so that it would never go to sleep.

However, now my wife is objecting to the power button always shining blue in the family room, even when the TV isn't turned on. So my question is -- is there any power setting or sleep-type mode in Windows 7 that will make the power button change to amber (a less offensive brightness, apparently) while still permitting Prime95 to keep working?

This is a desktop (tower) system. The HDTV is doubling as the monitor. Based on my far-from-unlimited knowledge of Windows computing, I don't harbor any great hopes of a positive answer, but I figured it was worth asking just in case. I'm resigned to letting the computer crunch numbers only when shaken awake, but keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Rodrigo

P.S. Covering the power button with opaque tape has already been prohibited by the powers-that-be...

Last fiddled with by Rodrigo on 2011-02-06 at 05:59
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 06:09   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·7·677 Posts

Your answer may lie here:Click image for larger version

Name:	wire_cutters.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6193
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 06:09   #3
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

33·7 Posts

The short answer to your question is no, you can't have it both ways at the same time -- sleeping and not.

As for workarounds... the wife has prohibited opaque tape, but how about if you go inside the case and disconnect the LED for the power button altogether? I forget if your PC is home-built or store-built, and it's really up to you (and her) if you're comfortable with this "bypass" of the problem.

EDIT: Having read Uncwilly's post, I'll add that there may be a nondestructive and reversible way of doing this, especially if the PC is home-built.

Last fiddled with by KingKurly on 2011-02-06 at 06:10 Reason: Saw Uncwilly's post
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 13:06   #4
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

I'd also suggest disconnecting the LED for power, as long as you'd prefer that to either always-blue or not-always-crunching (I certainly would!). Or maybe the blue LED could be swapped out for a milder color and dimmer brightness, perhaps red or amber. (unless it's one LED that shows both colors, then I'm not sure what you could do)

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2011-02-06 at 13:16
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 17:35   #5
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

3A616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Your answer may lie here:Attachment 6193
Old 2011-02-06, 17:52   #6
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKurly View Post
The short answer to your question is no, you can't have it both ways at the same time -- sleeping and not.
KingKurly,

I was afraid of that, that this intermediate sort of state existed only in my imagination.

FWIW, the PC is store-built. A pretty nice system for the price, actually (http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p...mArea=CIRCULAR). So far it's passed all my tests for Windows Media Center usability. Anxiously watching the mailbox for the HDMI graphics card and the quad tuner card for cable TV.

Rodrigo
Old 2011-02-06, 18:12   #7
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

3A616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I'd also suggest disconnecting the LED for power, as long as you'd prefer that to either always-blue or not-always-crunching (I certainly would!). Or maybe the blue LED could be swapped out for a milder color and dimmer brightness, perhaps red or amber. (unless it's one LED that shows both colors, then I'm not sure what you could do)
Mini-Geek (and @KingKurly),

After further discussion this morning before I logged in, it looks like the only acceptable choice is to let the PC go to sleep, and fiddle with the settings to make (darn) sure that it wakes back up to record programs. Something about not messing with the wires and connections on a brand-new computer...

It took some explaining yesterday just to get across the idea that the PC can't be powered off altogether overnight, since Windows Media Center downloads its program guide data in the wee hours, and often we want to tape something that comes on after bedtime. So, for the sake of domestic peace and tranquillity, I let the power-button matter drop. Made a good decision when I told PrimeNet that the computer would be working 6 hours a day and not 24. But at least I'm adding four 3GHz cores.

Thanks for the ideas, though. Maybe I can revisit this at a later time when we're settled into the new watching/recording system.

Rodrigo
Old 2011-02-06, 18:24   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Yeah, those bright-blue power LEDs seem to be popping up everywhere...a computer I built for a family member has a big one on the front that can practically light up an entire basement whenever the computer's on. Fortunately the computer sits on the floor, so it doesn't bother the eyes too much, but I've had similar experiences with speakers, which are usually at desk level and often shine directly into one's eyes.

For speakers and other devices with less-accessible interior wiring, a piece of opaque tape over the light is a cheesy, but effective remedy. For computers, however, the easiest way is to just disconnect the power LED from the mobo, as has been suggested already here. I've done this with my own computer, which resides in my bedroom (with the front of the case facing directly toward me), so it doesn't keep me up at night. It's not a particularly difficult or risky modification; it's easy enough to put it back if you decide you want the LED after all. It can usually (though not always) be disconnected independently of the hard drive activity light.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 18:27   #9
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

134310 Posts

A very small piece of black insulation tape can work wonders. I have some lights on my PC that are very annoying, and unfortunately can't simply be unplugged, however a single strip of tape covered them all up and there is ZERO light leakage. Black tape on a black computer is also pretty good camouflage.

It sounds like you have a pretty bright blue light, so depending on the tape it might still show through, but the intensity will be greatly reduced. If it's still a problem you could put two pieces of tape on and that should definitely stop it.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 19:52   #10
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
A very small piece of black insulation tape can work wonders. I have some lights on my PC that are very annoying, and unfortunately can't simply be unplugged, however a single strip of tape covered them all up and there is ZERO light leakage. Black tape on a black computer is also pretty good camouflage.

It sounds like you have a pretty bright blue light, so depending on the tape it might still show through, but the intensity will be greatly reduced. If it's still a problem you could put two pieces of tape on and that should definitely stop it.
Rodrigo has written that solution was rejected by the High Command...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 20:45   #11
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

17·79 Posts

Ah, so he has, I completely missed that.

In that case, just sneakily unplug the power LED. It'll take about 2 seconds and you can plausibly deny you had anything to do with it, "It must have broken by itself! Curse this new-fangled technology and etc."

Failing that you'll have to "accidentally" knock the wires in just the right way when installing the tuner and graphics card.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote