mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2005-09-21, 18:13   #1
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts
Default Mathematica question-solving systems

I'm working on a problem that involves 60 variables. In these variables, I have tons and tons of polynomial equations. (For example, k_20 k_10-k_30 k_1=0.) I'd like to use Mathematica to simultaneously solve them, but just due to the sheer number of equations I have it would take more than the lifetime of the universe if I try to do it using "Solve". Is there anything else I could try, or is this intractable? (Note: I'm only interested in integer solutions to these equations.)
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-21, 18:59   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

746010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux
I'm working on a problem that involves 60 variables. In these variables, I have tons and tons of polynomial equations. (For example, k_20 k_10-k_30 k_1=0.) I'd like to use Mathematica to simultaneously solve them, but just due to the sheer number of equations I have it would take more than the lifetime of the universe if I try to do it using "Solve". Is there anything else I could try, or is this intractable? (Note: I'm only interested in integer solutions to these equations.)
Does Mathematica have a capability or external package to handle
a Grobner Basis? You might approach the problem that way. Sorry,
but I know very little about the methodology.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-21, 23:28   #3
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2×3×149 Posts

Zeta-Flux, I would try emailing Dr. Math. He and his staff are extremely knowledgeable on a wide range of math fields and can probably answer your question. Their service is free, however you will have to wait 1-2 weeks for a reply (if you get one at all) since they operate on their free time. If a method to solve your problem more effeciently exists, they'll probably be able to tell you. Before you send an email however I would check the FAQ on their site to see if someone else has posed a similar question previously. Here is the site if you're interested.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Good luck.

Primeinator
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-21, 23:44   #4
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

>(For example, k_20 k_10-k_30 k_1=0.)

Out of curiosity (sadly, it's not like I knew anything about how to solve this problem), are all the coefficients of your polynomials +-1 or 0? Is the constant term always 0?

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-22, 02:05   #5
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts

akruppa,

If only! I do realize that if all the constant terms were 0 then there would be a trivial solution and life would be dandy. :)

HOWEVER, in fact only ONE of the equations has a non-zero constant term (and the constant is 1). The coefficients are limited to 0,1,2,-1, and -2 (however, it might be the case that the 2's can be factored out...I haven't looked at that yet).

-----------------------------
R.D. Silverman,

I actually don't have to use Mathematica. That's just the only program I have. I'm willing to send the equations to someone who has a program that can solve them for me.

I don't know if Mathematica handles Grobner bases.
-----------------------------

Primeinator,

Time until a response isn't an issue. But neither is understanding HOW to solve the system. What I need is some program to do it for me in an efficient way.

Cheers,
Pace
Old 2005-09-22, 05:29   #6
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

2·3·293 Posts

I have found that Mathematica is far slower than some other computer programs, probably because it's a "high level language" and is designed to handle a very broad variety of calculations. (You can see my thread in the Programming forum). You could probably get several orders of magnitude improvement by using languages like C++, but that is of course far less user-friendly.
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-22, 21:47   #7
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

110000010112 Posts

Okay, slightly different question. Is there a way to have Mathematica look for solutions only in F_2 (i.e. the finite field with two elements)? For the problem I'm looking at, this should actually work for me.