Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-11-07, 08:30   #4093
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

59×157 Posts
Ay caramba!

P.S. ...yes, that YT video was where I snapped it from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California_65.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	23741  
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-07, 16:49   #4094
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

101348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Ay caramba!
According to this YouTube video from the Lockpicking Lawyer, it's a bad product: It's Terrible, But Not Because It Causes Cancer (Infinity Kingpin Lock)
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 14:52   #4095
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·19·241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
According to <...> Lockpicking Lawyer
Hey, you were much faster this time! I also follow that guy, hehe.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 17:02   #4096
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

418810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
According to <...> Lockpicking Lawyer
Hey, you were much faster this time! I also follow that guy, hehe.
I'd never heard of the Lockpicking Lawyer until I saw Batalov's post of the Proposition 65 warning. I became curious about what the product was, and one thing led to another...

This is an educational forum!

Old 2020-11-12, 22:23   #4097
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,753 Posts
Default How to lose friends and alienate people.

TripAdvisor warns users over Thai hotel that legally pursued reviewer

LaurV: you seen this one?

How did the proprietors ever get the idea that jailing your customers is a good way to increase ones business income?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-13, 00:32   #4098
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post

How did the proprietors ever get the idea that jailing your customers is a good way to increase ones business income?
Sort of reminds me of the case in the UK where McDonald's in 1990 went after volunteers of a group called "London Greenpeace" as described here. McDonald's won the trial verdict. But they probably wound up regretting that they ever brought the case to court.

Here in the good ol' USA, companies sometimes sue customers for bad reviews posted on web sites, and sometimes the web sites as well. These suits are civil cases, seeking only money as compensation for harm done. Some such suits may have merit, but sometimes the intent seems to be to silence critics.

Similarly, developers have sometimes sued critics who oppose their plans at public meetings. Such cases are called "SLAPP suits," Strategic Lawsits Against Public Participation.

There are, it seems, criminal libel laws still on the books, but I am not aware of any libel cases being prosecuted as crimes recently in the USA.

Libel is published defamation. Here in the USA, it is often said that truth is an absolute defense against a libel suit -- defamatory statements that are true are not a "wrongful act" worthy of compensation. But Bollea v. Gawker seemed to throw that idea out the window. Terry Gene Bollea, AKA Hulk Hogan, backed by billionaire Peter Thiel, literally sued Gawker out of business for publishing surveillance video of Hulk Hogan having sex with a friend's estranged wife.

The "truth is a defense against libel" standard here goes back (at least) to Crown v. John Peter Zenger, a case I may have posted about before.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-11-13 at 02:48 Reason: Omit superfluous "
Old 2020-11-14, 06:13   #4099
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

794610 Posts

https://www.quantamagazine.org/insid...baki-20201109/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-14, 09:05   #4100
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
To have such great mathematicians expounding basic ideas in such detail is at times illuminating.
On the other hand, important modern ideas are missing from the Bourbaki books,
such as category theory or the shifting position of geometry in mathematics.
As Elgar once said, there is no such thing as a definitive performance.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-14, 13:34   #4101
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·349 Posts

In Altgeld Hall at the University of Illinois (UIUC), there is (or at least used to be) a disused office everyone knew as "Bourbaki's office." (IIRC the room was being used for storage.) It still had the old office door, a wooden door with a large frosted glass window. Offices in use had the prof's first initial and last name name stenciled on the glass. This one had

N. Bourbaki

instead.
Old 2020-11-16, 17:36   #4102
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

23C616 Posts

Quote:

Yes. I know the whole story, from local papers and friends. The truth is somewhere in the middle. That idiot went to the restaurant with some friends, all half drunk, bringing alcohol from outside and when asked to pay the cork tax ($15 if you bring your own drinks) ended up in almost beating the waitresses. At the end, not wanting to risk a bigger scandal, the manager on duty waived the cork tax. After they drank like pigs and left the hotel, he posted defamatory reviews on the web saying that the restaurant is practicing "slavery" and that some foreigners work there without working permit, being forced to do whatever the hotel owners wish. Some of those "reviews" still can be read on the web. Now, it is quite common that people from poorer neighboring countries, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, etc. work low level seasonal jobs in such places: cleaners, laundry jobs, waiters, etc., but working without permit is a very serious offense in Thailand (both the employer and the employee may go to jail), and accusing somebody of practicing slavery or child labor, is even worse, if you can't prove it. Unfortunately, Thailand still has tough laws about defamation and calumny. I personally see nothing bad in having such laws, but that's not the general opinion. Free speech activists may be all on my head, but I don't understand free speech like you can say everything you like about whoever you want, without any responsibility. Anyhow, the patrons on the place notified the police, and the idiot ended in jail. It is arguable if the respective patrons used their "local influence" or not, probably yes, because such rich people are usually "local lords" and they can, totally or partially, control the local authorities, or at least have some influence/respect in the area. But not they put the man in jail, he did it to himself. His mouth, and his acting, put him in jail. If you search him a little, it is not his first time either, he is that type of "going around and making a lot of fuss and trouble" person.

In my personal experience, I stayed at Sea View with my family four times in 20 years, for a total of about 20 days, usually on the way to southern islands (Koh Kood). We go there by car, after about 16 hours of driving + ferry I will be quite tired and we will stay on Koh Chang one or two days (not necessarily at Sea View, but 4 times out of last 5 trips we did stay at Sea View), then let the car there in the parking at the hotel (where it is safe, due to hotel security, it is free, they never taxed me for the parking lot I "waste", maybe considering I will come back to them, when I return hehe), then take a boat and go to nicer islands in South (never plan before, we always plan it there locally, according with what we find), usually Koh Kood is the final destination, we stay there few more days swimming with the fish, then come back to Koh Chang, stay one day or two to Sea View again, to "rest" and to prepare for the way back, pick up the car, and drive back to Chiang Mai. That's usually the whole trip.

Last time when we stayed at Sea View was in 2016, March, when we went with relatives visiting from Romania (more families, with youngs) intending to do the same "trick", i.e. going south to swim with the fish, but our relatives were partially scared by traveling with the speed boat, and partially enchanted by the place, haha, in fact, they liked the place so much they didn't want to go south. Therefore we ended up spending about 7 days at Seaview. The place itself is gorgeous, on a mountain side, if you don't like to walk, or cannot walk, you can use a slanted elevator to go to the beach, the beach is white, clean, large, fine sand. If you are afraid to swim or to let your kids swimming in the sea, they have more swimming pools, one on the beach, one high on the mountain, nice landscape, there are a couple of small islands in front to which you can walk or swim when is low tide, etc. Paradise. The staff is very friendly, they help everybody, I NEVER had any issues, they have a tower where you can climb if you are not affraid of heights, to see the surroundings, and they have the best buffet breakfast on all the east-coast of the gulf. No joke. Not much competition either, in fact, haha. There are few bars, on-the-beach restaurants serving all kind of sea food, massage parlors. If you don't like the sea, just turn yourself 180 degrees and walk straight up the mountain and you can play with monkeys (careful with your shiny things, like camera, phone, or even cigarettes box - they successfully robbed me of my cigarettes, to the delight of my wife who was pushing me hard to quit). You can book local tours to other islands in range, and go to swim with colored fish (if you intend to do so, collect all the bread left on the tables in the morning, and eventually go to 7-eleven in the evening before, and buy one or two more bags of bread, haha! it worth! With a bit more inspiration I could became millionaire in my last trip, because I was the only one of the ~20 persons on the boat having bread to feed the fish, haha, the other guyz and galz didn't know what to expect, and I was preparing "in secret". You have no idea how much my nieces and nephews loved me that trip, I was the most loved uncle, due to the reserve of the bread in the bag ). Btw, vegetable market, fish market, 7-eleven, shopping, etc., are 3-5 minutes of driving.

So, yeah, one guy went to jail two days to sober himself, and when he was sober, they released him. I wouldn't make much of a fuss about it, and I won't blame the hotel people too much. They may have their hairs in their noses too, but if that would be my hotel, the guy would have his legs broken too by now. Actually, he was lucky he walked out of there on his feet, Thai people are very proud when you step on their tails... (who isn't?!)

Edit:
In fact, the biggest mistake of the hotel guys was the fact that they requested Trip Advisor to remove the negative reviews. And the guys there are also people... and they are proud too... Otherwise, it would have been a forgotten story. Honestly, I am kinda curious to see how it will end, because it doesn't seem it ended yet...

Edit 2: added link.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-11-16 at 19:24
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-16, 17:50   #4103
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

31578 Posts

Quote:

Reading LaurV's post confirms me in the opinion that those review sites should moderate the reviews they publish. At the moment any idiot can give you a bad reputation and ruin your activity (business or non business) with impunity. And they do, a bit like the quality of comments on the sites of most papers, radios or television networks. The only exception I know of is the Gardian that does a good job of moderation. That said there is a middle path between what tabloids can do in England for instance, and the Thai laws (especially if they concern their monarchy.)

Jacob
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote