mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2014-11-09, 19:28   #1
tha

Dec 2002

11·73 Posts
Default place your bets on the fate of al-Baghdadi

news flash on the rumor mill regarding the fate of al-Baghdadi (Jerusalem Post)

So place your bets on:

- the extent of injuries begotten in the air strike.
- the day of his appearance in new video made after the air strike.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 21:34   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5·7·331 Posts

I bet even if the current ISIS head is killed/incapacitated, someone else will step up and take his place. What odds can I get on that?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 21:58   #3
tha

Dec 2002

11·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I bet even if the current ISIS head is killed/incapacitated, someone else will step up and take his place. What odds can I get on that?
not much I guess and you would have to share it with me. If he really was in that column of trucks and at least 50 were killed that baffles me. How can someone in that position be with such a large group? Well anyway, fighting Assad, being on the same side of the conflict as Europe and the US, and then starting to decapacitate western journalists and aid workers did not show good strategy either.

Maybe we can make payments in LL or trial factoring credit?
Old 2014-11-09, 22:23   #4
flagrantflowers

Apr 2014

27 Posts

I think that decapitating the journalists is the most intelligent thing he is done. It is all about inciting anger. 9-11 was the most effective terror attack not because of damage on American soil but due to the response.

Boots on the ground and a long drawn out conflict would be an absolute victory, regardless of the end results.
flagrantflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 20:11   #5
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3·919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagrantflowers View Post
I think that decapitating the journalists is the most intelligent thing he is done. It is all about inciting anger. 9-11 was the most effective terror attack not because of damage on American soil but due to the response.

Boots on the ground and a long drawn out conflict would be an absolute victory, regardless of the end results.
Well, the response to 9/11 has been far far more expensive for the US both in terms of life and treasure than the original attack ever was. And neither the war in Iraq nor the one in Afghanistan have reduced the threat of terrorism. If anything they have increased it manifold. So good going (not)!.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 23:55   #6
tha

Dec 2002

11×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Well, the response to 9/11 has been far far more expensive for the US both in terms of life and treasure than the original attack ever was. And neither the war in Iraq nor the one in Afghanistan have reduced the threat of terrorism. If anything they have increased it manifold. So good going (not)!.
Well, 9/11 could not be ignored, and the response in Afghanistan against Al-Qaida and the Taliban was swift and efficient. The understanding that the attacks had changed the midsets fundamental lead to the insight that other regimes needed to be dealt with as well. Iraq could have been dealt with as efficient if not

a> the regime in neighbouring Iran had been understood correctly in the White House and
b> Jacques Chirac had not been afraid of France losing its position as the number one superpower in the world status to the US and chose to side with Saddam Hussein and
c> Gerhard Schroeder of Germany had not been occupied with his selling of Germany to Vladimir Putin in exchange for a few rubles to his personal bank account.

We have paid a high price indeed. But that was for not including Iran in our counter attack, not for invading Iraq.
Old 2014-11-11, 01:05   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5·7·331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
Well, 9/11 could not be ignored, and the response in Afghanistan against Al-Qaida and the Taliban was swift and efficient.
..Until it lost focus, and Bin laden was first allowed to escape due to "making nice" with the U.S. oh-so-reliable "Pakistani allies", you mean? Or until it really lost focus with the illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003? And how are both those countries doing, over a decade after the "swift and efficient" fictions you entertain in your neocon fantasy world?

Quote:
The understanding that the attacks had changed the midsets fundamental lead to the insight that other regimes needed to be dealt with as well.
"Delusions of global empire" much?

As I've said, the only rational way to make sense of the post-9/11 global-hegemonic inanity is if permanent state of war and fear stoked by permanent war- and -fearmongering is in fact the goal of the war criminals and profiteer tha so idolizes.

No one has yet explicitly mentioned the cost of the wholesale abrogation of civil liberties and rule of law in the U.S. and its various warmonger-pal-states - the extent of which makes the propagandistic "they hate us for us freedoms" even more of a hollow jingoistic joke than it was when first invoked - so we must add that to the "blood and treasure" cost.

And tha, by continuing to support this stuff long after its criminality has been made evident for all to see, you are nothing less than a shill for genocide. There is no more odious thing a person can do as far as I'm concerned, except perhaps to literally commit genocide, that is, with direct personal involvement. Congratulations.
Old 2014-11-11, 05:15   #8
flagrantflowers

Apr 2014

8016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
"Delusions of global empire" much?
I was going to say something and then realized it was strictly anti-American and decided it wasn't productive to the conversation. Mind you the pro-America side of things wasn't technically productive either.
flagrantflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 07:12   #9
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7×137 Posts

A bit too one-sided Ewmayer. If you had been in charge back in 1990 when Bush Sr had to choose, would you have invaded? or closed boundaries like Bush did while shoving them out of Kuwait?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 13:35   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
A bit too one-sided Ewmayer. If you had been in charge back in 1990 when Bush Sr had to choose, would you have invaded? or closed boundaries like Bush did while shoving them out of Kuwait?
Which choice by Bush Sr. are you talking about? Was it the one which had April Glaspie telling Saddam that the US had no interest in Arab-Arab disputes? Or was it the decision to spring the trap after the invasion of Kuwait?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-12, 23:09   #11
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5×7×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
No idea what your second option refers to - it was Bush Sr who invaded in order to shove them out of Kuwait. (After giving them the message that it was OK for them to do what they would w.r.to Kuwait, as kladner points out.)

Also, you left out "rather than attempting to bring 'the new Hitler' Saddam Hussein to justice, instead encouraged the Kurds and southern Iraqis to 'rise up' then letting them get slaughtered en masse as you went off to play golf."

Let's not unduly restrict our menu of murderous idiocies here.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2014-11-12 at 23:09