kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts
Default Gay Baiting FAXes show up in KS for Brownback

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/1...t-Left-the-80s

Quote:
In an apparent effort to encourage the anti-gay vote, this Fax began appearing around Kansas City and throughout the state and was posted to Reddit. I've since been able to confirm the fax was received in places like Wichita, Kansas City, Topeka.
This, however, may be in part because well, people gave up fax machines* years ago.
*The above is not entirely true. The author does acknowledge that there are still some uses, such as sending hate literature, it seems.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 17:12   #1245
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
[...]such as sending hate literature, it seems.
I can't describe the fax in any other terms than hate literature either. I find it really disturbing, but then I guess I've been pretty sheltered from hate here in The Netherlands for the last 21 years and it's easy lose sight of the sheer bigotry you can encounter elsewhere in the world.

One part of the fax which I simply cannot place is the following:

Quote:
UNDERSTAND THE MOVEMENT THAT HAS BEEN LANDSCAPED UNDER FALSE PRETENSES
The Homosexual Declaration of War, read in the CA House of Representatives on July 27 1987
It reads, 'we will sodomize your children. All churches who condemn us will be closed. The family unit eliminated. Any man contaminated with heterosexual lust, will be automatically barred from any position of influence.'
What is this? Anyone?? I googled "Homosexual Declaration of War" and found nothing relevant. Are the authors of the fax ("we the children") simply telling ludicrous lies here?

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2014-10-27 at 17:12
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 18:28   #1246
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

84A16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
One part of the fax which I simply cannot place is the following:
Quote:
UNDERSTAND THE MOVEMENT THAT HAS BEEN LANDSCAPED UNDER FALSE PRETENSES
The Homosexual Declaration of War, read in the CA House of Representatives on July 27 1987
It reads, 'we will sodomize your children. All churches who condemn us will be closed. The family unit eliminated. Any man contaminated with heterosexual lust, will be automatically barred from any position of influence.'
What is this? Anyone?? I googled "Homosexual Declaration of War" and found nothing relevant. Are the authors of the fax ("we the children") simply telling ludicrous lies here?
Down in the comments there is a link that explains where the passge originated.
Quote:
In 1987, Michael Swift was asked to contribute an editorial piece to GCN, an important gay community magazine, although well to the left of most American gay and lesbian opinion. A decade later this text, printed in the Congressional Record is repeatedly cited, apparently verbatim, by the religious right as evidence of the "Gay Agenda".
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 19:00   #1247
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
Down in the comments there is a link that explains where the passge originated.
Ahah, that explains it. The text of the passage looks satirical to me. I suppose this shows up the dangers of writing satire, namely that your opponents can quote it forever afterwards pretending that you meant it literally. Thanks for finding this.
Old 2014-10-27, 19:42   #1248
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

37E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Ahah, that explains it. The text of the passage looks satirical to me. I suppose this shows up the dangers of writing satire, namely that your opponents can quote it forever afterwards pretending that you meant it literally. Thanks for finding this.
It also seemed like satire to me- but satire born of frustration.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-31, 12:53   #1249
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

My favourite comment this week was posted by someone called "cantake8" in the comments section of this article, concerning the recent public personal revelations of the CEO of Apple:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantake8
Looks like One Million Moms and other right wing hate groups will have to throw out their Apple computers, phones, iPads and iPods.
Old 2014-11-07, 09:22   #1250
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,753 Posts

Gay marriage bans upheld in four states
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 12:44   #1251
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
While this likely does mean the issue will go to the Supreme Court, there is still a chance that an en banc hearing would reverse the panel ruling.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 14:23   #1252
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

Paths to same-sex marriage review

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/11/an...rriage-review/

Last fiddled with by chappy on 2014-11-07 at 14:24
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 17:04   #1253
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

11101111112 Posts

Courts do predictable things. The equality issue will keep coming up at the circuit court level ad nauseum until it finally gets to the supreme court. So the circuit courts sometimes deliberately give an adverse ruling for the explicit but unstated purpose of forcing it up to the supreme court. This has the hallmarks of being such a case. A deliberate split at the circuit court level to knock it down so they don't have to keep hearing it one state at a time at the circuit level.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 10:04   #1254
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

While there may be reasonable practical grounds for the lower courts to decline to overturn the marriage ban in some states so that the supreme court will be involved, the governor of at least one of the four states to have upheld the marriage ban is acting spitefully and outrageously in my opinion.

Rick Snyder, Republican governor of Michigan, has voided the marriages of more than 300 couples who married during the period when same sex marriage was available in their state.

That's right, 300 couples who joyfully joined in matrimony and celebrated their commitment to each other in front of their families and friends in what would normally be the happiest day of their lives have just been informed that their marriages are now void and that they are not married to each other.

If I recall correctly, the people who married in California in 2008, before Proposition 8 was passed stopping any more same sex marriages in that state, remained married. In fact I can't recall any instance before of any state actually turning back people's marriages when they had already legally married. Am I wrong? Does anyone have any good word for the recent legal actions of the governor of Michigan?