mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-12-19, 16:22   #1
EdH
 
EdH's Avatar
 
"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts
Default What font am I missing for forum messages?

I'm running Fedora and using Firefox to access my mail. I was kind of hoping it would fix itself at some point, but alas. . . :

This what I see for forum messages in my inbox:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MissingFont.png
Views:	56
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	23993  
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 22:38   #2
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

137058 Posts
Default

That looks more like an encoding error.

The message might be sent in UTF-8, but the client is decoding ISO-8859-1. Or some combination like that.

Have a look at the charset value. e.g. 'charset="iso-8859-1"' in the header for "Content-Type:". And also check that your client settings aren't forcing an encoding.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-12-19 at 22:38
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 15:18   #3
EdH
 
EdH's Avatar
 
"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
That looks more like an encoding error.

The message might be sent in UTF-8, but the client is decoding ISO-8859-1. Or some combination like that.

Have a look at the charset value. e.g. 'charset="iso-8859-1"' in the header for "Content-Type:". And also check that your client settings aren't forcing an encoding.
Well, I can't seem to get anywhere. I copied the text and tried it in several programs on my main system and a few of my math machines and none will display readable (by me) text. I can't find any machine settings, although my machine claims to be familiar with several hundred encodings. I found ways to convert documents, but nothing that allows me to set up recognition across the computer. I did not try to make a document to convert, since the real goal is to be able to read this directly without copy/paste/convert.

As for, "also check that your client settings aren't forcing an encoding," would this be my Firefox that's doing the encoding, or possibly my web based email provider?
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 00:08   #4
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
As for, "also check that your client settings aren't forcing an encoding," would this be my Firefox that's doing the encoding, or possibly my web based email provider?
Copy/paste etc. won't help here. Once it has the wrong encoding and displaying the wrong characters then you lose the information. You need to convert the original source using the correct encoding. Only then you can copy/paste/convert/etc.

It might be that the sender is sending the wrong encoding. Check the email headers to see what is happening. Look at the "Content-Type:" header and compare that to the contents.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 00:19   #5
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

26·31 Posts
Default

Not sure if this will help but I have had similar issues with file names in Korean font which were zipped. The issue was that windows native unzipper is not able to decode the font. Using a more dedicated program such as 7-zip does a much better job. So if there is any compression anywhere try a dedicated compression program rather than the built in OS.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 00:28   #6
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Not sure if this will help but I have had similar issues with file names in Korean font which were zipped. The issue was that windows native unzipper is not able to decode the font. Using a more dedicated program such as 7-zip does a much better job. So if there is any compression anywhere try a dedicated compression program rather than the built in OS.
Yes, Windows is a bit shit with character encodings in some cases. But calling it a font is confusing and incorrect. Fonts are for the display of characters; that is, the shapes you see on the screen. Encodings are for defining which character to use. So the proper term is "Korean characters", or at a stretch "Korean letters". There is no Korean font.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-12-24 at 00:28
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 00:43   #7
EdH
 
EdH's Avatar
 
"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Copy/paste etc. won't help here. Once it has the wrong encoding and displaying the wrong characters then you lose the information. You need to convert the original source using the correct encoding. Only then you can copy/paste/convert/etc.

It might be that the sender is sending the wrong encoding. Check the email headers to see what is happening. Look at the "Content-Type:" header and compare that to the contents.
Well, as can be seen in the original image, this board is the sender. These are messages telling my threads of interest have new posts. This is the reason I brought it up here. (Well, that and the knowledgable folks, like yourself.)
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 00:49   #8
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Well, as can be seen in the original image, this board is the sender.
What is that value in the "Content-Type:" header field?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 01:03   #9
EdH
 
EdH's Avatar
 
"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What is that value in the "Content-Type:" header field?
There is no "Content-Type:" that I can find.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 01:08   #10
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×1,217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
There is no "Content-Type:" that I can find.
Then your email client will use its default encoding to decode the characters.

What is the default encoding setting?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 03:30   #11
EdH
 
EdH's Avatar
 
"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Then your email client will use its default encoding to decode the characters.

What is the default encoding setting?
It's web based email. I have no client. I'm using Firefox to access the webmail (Juno).


I just forwarded one of the messages to a Yahoo address and it looks fine with the same Firefox browser. I guess the issue is Juno.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mersenne forum broken (blank or redacted new and old messages, pms) kriesel Forum Feedback 2 2019-03-27 16:32
How long does moderation messages? Lkhv Information & Answers 0 2015-10-29 06:33
Frustratingly frequent forum font fluctuations? WraithX Forum Feedback 11 2014-10-18 13:36
Error Messages from GGNFS EdH Factoring 4 2010-01-01 19:52
HHCTRL error messages in XP Pro edron1011 Software 0 2008-11-21 15:46

All times are UTC. The time now is 21:33.

Sun Mar 7 21:33:39 UTC 2021 up 94 days, 17:44, 0 users, load averages: 2.48, 2.47, 2.44

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.