Old 2021-01-23, 23:22   #1629
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

141448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I never knew how old she was. A lot of the cast members from B5 are gone. Jerry Doyle, Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, Jeff Conaway, Stephen Furst, and probably others. How do I remember their names? I have the entire video collection on discs.
IMO, the best science fiction show even done for TV and I have watched a lot of science fiction. Some episodes aren't so great, but the story telling was top-notch.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-23, 23:26   #1630
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
IMO, the best science fiction show even done for TV and I have watched a lot of science fiction.
Seconded!

The Expanse is a close second; although I've been finding season 5 to be exceedingly slow...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 00:23   #1631
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
IMO, the best science fiction show even done for TV and I have watched a lot of science fiction. Some episodes aren't so great, but the story telling was top-notch.
Something I should restate: I have all of them in original boxed sets. This includes the movies. I do not want anyone getting the idea they are pirated.

As for rogue's comment above, ditto!
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 16:37   #1632
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

103368 Posts

Walter Bernstein
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Screenwriter Walter Bernstein, among the last survivors of Hollywood's anti-Communist blacklist whose Oscar-nominated script for "The Front" drew upon his years of being unable to work under his own name, died Saturday. He was 101.

The cause was pneumonia, according to his wife, the literary agent Gloria Loomis.

A World War II correspondent for the military who also had been published in The New Yorker, Bernstein was at the start of what seemed a promising film career when the Cold War and anti-Communist paranoia led to his being blacklisted in 1950, a fate which ruined the lives of many of his peers and led some to suicide. Job offers to Bernstein were rescinded and onetime friends stopped speaking to him. FBI agents looked through his trash, showed up at his door and followed him outside.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-24, 17:53   #1633
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

431810 Posts

Gregory Sierra
Quote:
January 23, 2021

NEW YORK (AP) — Gregory Sierra, who had memorable roles in the 1970s sitcoms "Barney Miller" and "Sanford and Son," has died after battling cancer. He was 83.

Sierra's widow, Helene, said Saturday in a phone interview with The Associated Press that the actor died on Jan. 4 in Laguna Woods, California.

Sierra's breakthrough came in 1972 when he played the role of Fred G. Sanford's neighbor, Julio Fuentes, on "Sanford and Son." He also earned major attention for playing Sgt. Miguel "Chano" Amanguale on "Barney Miller," which launched in 1975.
Old 2021-01-28, 13:10   #1634
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·17·127 Posts

Cloris Leachman
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Cloris Leachman, an Oscar-winner for her portrayal of a lonely housewife in "The Last Picture Show" and a comedic delight as the fearsome Frau Blücher in "Young Frankenstein" and self-absorbed neighbor Phyllis on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," has died. She was 94.

Leachman died in her sleep of natural causes at her home in Encinitas, California, publicist Monique Moss said Wednesday. Her daughter Dinah Englund was at her side, Moss said.
Old 2021-01-29, 00:40   #1635
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

431810 Posts

Cicely Tyson
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Cicely Tyson, the pioneering Black actor who gained an Oscar nomination for her role as the sharecropper's wife in "Sounder," a Tony Award in 2013 at age 88 and touched TV viewers' hearts in "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," died Thursday at age 96.

Tyson's death was announced by her family, via her manager Larry Thompson, who did not immediately provide additional details.
Old 2021-01-29, 02:27   #1636
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10000110111102 Posts

Paul Crutzen
Quote:
BERLIN (AP) — Paul J. Crutzen, a Dutch scientist who won the Nobel Prize for chemistry for his work understanding the ozone hole and is credited with coining the term Anthropocene to describe the geological era shaped by mankind, has died.

The Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz, Germany, where Crutzen was the director of atmospheric chemistry from 1980 until his retirement in 2000, confirmed that he died Thursday at the age of 87.
<snip>
Crutzen was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1995 together with American chemist F. Sherwood Rowland and Mexican chemist Mario J. Molina.

"Along with Sherry Rowland, whom we sadly lost some years ago, and Mario Molina whom we lost just months ago, Crutzen alerted the world to the danger of ozone depletion caused by the pollutants known as chlorofluorocarbons from spray cans," said Penn State climate scientist Michael Mann.
<snip>
Old 2021-01-31, 14:03   #1637
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·17·127 Posts

Hilton Valentine
Quote:
LONDON (AP) — Hilton Valentine, the founding guitarist of the English rock and roll band The Animals who is credited with coming up with one of the most famous opening riffs of the 1960s, has died. He was 77.

The band's label ABKCO Music confirmed that Valentine died on Friday, saying it was told of his death by his wife, Germaine Valentine. The cause of death was not given.
<snip>
The band's most famous hit came in 1964, when their rock-infused take of the folk song "The House of the Rising Sun" topped the charts in both the U.K. and the U.S.

The song, whose opening riff has been a rite of passage for budding guitarists around the world ever since, had such resonance in the U.S. that many people were surprised to hear that the band came from the industrial heartland of England.
Old 2021-01-31, 16:47   #1638
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

111010011112 Posts

Patricia Rooney of the Pittsburgh sports dynasty.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 05:49   #1639
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3·3,109 Posts

Andrew Brooks, a research professor at Rutgers University who led the development of the first FDA-approved Covid-19 saliva test. (51)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote