Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2021-01-20, 21:58   #1475
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22×2,333 Posts
Cool

I gotta say, that lady whatshername Gaga can sing. Who knew! She should maybe try herself at the Voice or America's Got Talent. Might get lucky.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-20, 22:12   #1476
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·13·167 Posts

I went grocery shopping this morning (January 20, 2021). While I was in the meat department, I saw a young woman of color stocking the coolers. I said, "Happy Day of Deliverance." She gave an animated laugh and said, "Really!"

For four long years, my country has been suffering from a severe case of the DT's. It has subsided, but a bad hangover remains.

The outgoing administration handled the transition with scorched earth tactics. This will impede the new Administration's ability to deal with the problems it faces.

But I think everyone knows it will at least face the problems and try to deal with them. There seems to be a general sense of relief.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-21, 13:53   #1477
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I went grocery shopping this morning (January 20, 2021). While I was in the meat department, I saw a young woman of color stocking the coolers. I said, "Happy Day of Deliverance." She gave an animated laugh and said, "Really!"

For four long years, my country has been suffering from a severe case of the DT's. It has subsided, but a bad hangover remains.

The outgoing administration handled the transition with scorched earth tactics. This will impede the new Administration's ability to deal with the problems it faces.

But I think everyone knows it will at least face the problems and try to deal with them. There seems to be a general sense of relief.
I agree.
The bloated cheeto's leaving is like having a fresh, cool breeze sweep across the parched land sweeping away the stench of him and his ilk.

However, we must be vigilant; they have not gone away, they have merely slithered away to hide under rocks to strike again when the opportunity presents itself.

A cheery trend that I have read about indicates that they may be turning against each other. I read some articles that said some Qanon sites have been calling his orangeness a traitor to their cause !

The Dems have at least 2 years before mid-terms so they'd better make the most of it while they can.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-21, 14:54   #1478
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·13·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
I agree.
The bloated cheeto's leaving is like having a fresh, cool breeze sweep across the parched land sweeping away the stench of him and his ilk.

However, we must be vigilant; they have not gone away, they have merely slithered away to hide under rocks to strike again when the opportunity presents itself.
<snip>
Not all, unfortunately. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, the other lawless US Senators, US Representatives, State Governors, Attorneys-general, and other public officials who knowingly furthered the Big Lie of the "stolen election" are still public figures. If the R's had held a majority in the US House of Representatives, our country would have ceased to be a republic, a form of government which has long been described as "a government of laws and not of men." It would have become an absolute tyranny.

The R's have for decades sought to turn this nation into a Soviet style "democracy," in which only members of the "correct" party are allowed to vote, or to be elected or appointed to public office.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-21, 18:59   #1479
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

2·3·313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...The R's have for decades sought to turn this nation into a Soviet style "democracy," in which only members of the "correct" party are allowed to vote, or to be elected or appointed to public office.
I feared for a long time that the Original Orangutan wanted to set himself up as a dictator like other despots have done over the decades. Some have referred to the events of January 6, as an attempted coup d' etat, an act usually done by the military, but not in this case. I hope, at some point, he will face criminal charges of sedition, incitement, and perhaps murder. People died on that day and someone should be held accountable.

During the proceedings yesterday, someone mentioned that the R's could fracture into two separate groups. The radicals and extremists would go one way, and the remainder would go another. If the R's want to save face in any way, a serious housecleaning would be mandatory on their part.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-21, 19:12   #1480
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

25×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I feared for a long time that the Original Orangutan wanted to set himself up as a dictator like other despots have done over the decades. Some have referred to the events of January 6, as an attempted coup d' etat, an act usually done by the military, but not in this case. I hope, at some point, he will face criminal charges of sedition, incitement, and perhaps murder. People died on that day and someone should be held accountable.

During the proceedings yesterday, someone mentioned that the R's could fracture into two separate groups. The radicals and extremists would go one way, and the remainder would go another. If the R's want to save face in any way, a serious housecleaning would be mandatory on their part.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 00:44   #1481
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22×2,333 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I gotta say, that lady whatshername Gaga can sing. Who knew! She should maybe try herself at the Voice or America's Got Talent. Might get lucky.
Aha! I am not the only one who like this work -

...and they transposed it to G♭ signature with six flats!
is there a secret message in that tonality choice? they took away one flat for having a vaccine? maximum is seven
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 13:40   #1482
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24·499 Posts

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 19:07   #1483
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2·3·271 Posts

The last US president always made me think of the character Rex Mottram
in Evelyn Waugh's famous novel "Brideshead Revisited".
Apparently, I'm not the only one:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...h-rex-mottram/
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-23, 18:47   #1484
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

2·3·313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Aha! I am not the only one who like this work...

...and they transposed it to G♭ signature with six flats!
is there a secret message in that tonality choice? they took away one flat for having a vaccine? maximum is seven
I did not know she was going to sing it, and when they announced her, I slid down in my chair a little. I was expecting her to make a complete mess of it, like renditions I have heard in recent years at sports events. Some were barely recognizable. She did a good job with it...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote