mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Other Mathematical Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-23, 14:21   #1
Erasmus
 
Feb 2004

101112 Posts
Default Suggestions on good number theory books???

Hi,

I am in need of a number theory book to learn all such things about primes, modular arithmetics and those kind of stuff.

I live in turkey and can not find all i intend to. Currently i'm studying from the book:

An Introduction to THE THEORY OF NUMBERS
Ivan Niven
Herbert S. Zuckerman
Hugh L. Montgomery
Wiley Publications, 5th Edition

Is there any suggestions for me to read from a better story telling book? Or a website which shows all elementary things ( please do not refer www.utm.edu/research/primes/... as it is not giving complete information )

I am impatiently waiting for your response.

Bye...
Erasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:03   #2
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

32×52×29 Posts
Default

This is a great book dealing with factoring, primes, and algorithms:

"Prime Numbers: A Computational Perspective", by Richard Crandall and Carl Pomerance
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 11:45   #3
mklasson
 
Feb 2004

2×3×43 Posts
Default

"Elementary Number Theory and its applications", 4th edition by Kenneth H. Rosen is a very nice intro to number theory.
mklasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 12:31   #4
MrHappy
 
MrHappy's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Paisley Park & Neverland

5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
This is a great book dealing with factoring, primes, and algorithms:

"Prime Numbers: A Computational Perspective", by Richard Crandall and Carl Pomerance
Yep! That's quite good. Read it a few weeks ago.
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 16:57   #5
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist
 
mfgoode's Avatar
 
Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Lightbulb Books on Number Theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Hi,

I am in need of a number theory book to learn all such things about primes, modular arithmetics and those kind of stuff.

I live in turkey and can not find all i intend to. Currently i'm studying from the book:

An Introduction to THE THEORY OF NUMBERS
Ivan Niven
Herbert S. Zuckerman
Hugh L. Montgomery
Wiley Publications, 5th Edition

Is there any suggestions for me to read from a better story telling book? Or a website which shows all elementary things ( please do not refer www.utm.edu/research/primes/... as it is not giving complete information )

I am impatiently waiting for your response.

Bye...

The book you mention is a bit elaborate for beginners.
I would recommend the following which are very good and elementary but contains all you require to get started.
1) Invitation to number theory: Author Oystein Ore.
Publishers: The mathematical association 0f America (MAA)
Volume 20 ; ISBN 0-88385-620-4

2)Number theory and its History: Author Oystein Ore.
Publishers- Dover publications.
ISBN:0-486-65620-9 (pbk)

3)An adventurer's guide to number theory: Author, Richard Friedberg.
Publishers-Dover Publications.
ISBN 0-486-28133-7 (pbk)
These books have a bibliography which could lead you onto other books.
For these books try - Amazon.com from which you can order them.
They also have used books which are much cheaper than the new ones and in paperback Best of luck.
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 15:09   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

13×29×31 Posts
Default

Crandall/Pomerance is great in that it achieves a nice balance between theory and practice, and gives a lot of recent exciting results which help motivate the reader to understand the material better. It also doesn't assume a deep number theory background on the part of the reader for most of its coverage, although some of the more advanced material will be difficult for the NT novice.

Another book which achieves a similar balance and is extremely readable, but is a bit dated as far as algorithms go, is "Prime Numbers and Computer Methods for Factorization," by Hans Riesel, discoverer of the Mersenne prime M3217.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

The same Amazon.com page also has links to several other introductory NT texts, including Crandall/Pomerance and another one by David Bressoud (which I haven't read, so can't vouch for).
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 13:31   #7
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

7×691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer
Too bad it's out of stock on Amazon.co.uk

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 01:48   #8
Terrence Law
 
May 2004

2·37 Posts
Default Suggestions and Preferable Hints.

Then try to but one online at Amazon's or be interested in school math textbooks and search ofr the glossary and key words.
Terrence Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 06:41   #9
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

12E516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence Law
Then try to but one online at Amazon's or be interested in school math textbooks and search ofr the glossary and key words.
I just feel disappointed having to spend $25 of mailing expenses when I could spend one third oredering the same book from UK...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 15:19   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

101101101001112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
I just feel disappointed having to spend $25 of mailing expenses when I could spend one third oredering the same book from UK...

Luigi
Did the site give you an estimate of when it might again be in stock? Can you enter a formal request for them to re-order it, or (failing that) to be notified when it's in stock again?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 07:43   #11
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010111001012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer
Did the site give you an estimate of when it might again be in stock? Can you enter a formal request for them to re-order it, or (failing that) to be notified when it's in stock again?
As I could understand, they warmly push the customer to find some used copy. I think I will finally order from amazon.com

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any good suggestions please? kakos22 Math 6 2010-07-09 10:40
Good introduction with math websites/books? joblack Other Mathematical Topics 7 2010-04-12 23:54
Easy number theory. mfgoode Puzzles 2 2006-05-30 09:46
Number-theoretic FPGA function implementation suggestions? rdotson Hardware 18 2005-09-25 13:04
number theory help math Homework Help 2 2004-05-02 18:09

All times are UTC. The time now is 13:43.


Tue Jan 18 13:43:02 UTC 2022 up 179 days, 8:12, 0 users, load averages: 1.19, 1.37, 1.31

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔