Old 2016-11-24, 18:47   #23
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1014710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
Blow very often? Still running years later? Two different tunes there!
What's the truth?
I stated that poorly. There are many reports of certain caps blowing in that model of monitor: Samsung 226 BW. Replacing those three with quality parts has kept it running since.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 20:07   #24
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

72×67 Posts

Quote:
...There seems to be a diminishing realm of folk that would contemplate repairs of any kind.
I'll happy to see that Aaron is not shy of using a soldering iron.
I'm embarrassed to admit that my desoldering skills were horrible. I've always been bad at it though...lack of practice I suppose. The braid took up some, the solder sucker took up a bunch, but I still had to pull on the cap while heating the legs and wiggle it out, then use some picks to clean the through-hole. It took way longer that it should have for someone who's better at it.

Having the right tools for the job is always the key. I recall struggling with desoldering when all I had was a lousy Radio Shack chisel-tip iron, and I do remember destroying quite a few solder pads in the process. I'd have been better off snipping out the old component and wiring new stuff to the legs left behind. LOL
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 20:26   #25
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts

My work trashed about 50 Samsung monitors about 6 years ago, we technicians pulled them out of the trash replaced the caps and are still using them today.

It sort of ruined me because now I can't live without dual monitors everywhere.

check out http://www.badcaps.net/ if you want a walk through on many kinds of repairs.

Like Kladner says, it's fun every time it works I think: I did that. (even though it was all of ten minutes work)
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 03:00   #26
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22·883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
... I'd have been better off snipping out the old component and wiring new stuff to the legs left behind. LOL
Actually, snipping out the old component and then removing the pins one at a time is the best way for through hole repair. The only time you should try to save the old component is if you need it in tact for some reason, or you're not sure it's bad and have to save it.

I used to be able to replace components with new ones and leave the board looking original, "in the old days." I also used some pretty good equipment back then. I used to like some tweezers that ran current through the component leg and heated it enough to pull the leg out of the hole.

My soldering days bumped up against the surface mount time, though and my experience level today is poor. I still repair stuff, especially if I find it's being tossed and I can have it for free. I repaired many a flat screen and several computers in the last few years and the BadCaps forum listed previously has helped me with several items. The most recent was a friend's big flat screen TV with a bad LED strip.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 07:01   #27
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
My soldering days bumped up against the surface mount time, though and my experience level today is poor. I still repair stuff, especially if I find it's being tossed and I can have it for free. I repaired many a flat screen and several computers in the last few years and the BadCaps forum listed previously has helped me with several items. The most recent was a friend's big flat screen TV with a bad LED strip.
Yeah, I similarly endorse badcaps.com; After some reading I had the confidence to haul a new TCON board out of China via ebay for a large screen TV, even though the original owner didn't want to take the risk and disowned it. Now I watch it every day!

I wonder who in this place is old enough to remember what one of my mentors described as "mud mold" caps, being paper wax?
They were a curse when I wore shorts, much like the current scourge of electrolytic caps that remains a blight on civilization.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 07:23   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

290016 Posts

Quote:
I wonder who in this place is old enough to remember what one of my mentors described as "mud mold" caps, being paper wax?
They were a curse when I wore shorts, much like the current scourge of electrolytic caps that remains a blight on civilization.
Me, for one.

I'm old enough to have scavenged old TV sets from the tip (dump for US readers) and fiddled around moving valves (tubes likewise) from one set to another and/or replacing burnt out resistors or capacitors until I got them working. I was a young kid at the time. No circuit boards in those days, everything being built on a chassis with point to point wiring.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 07:44   #29
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
valves
My uncle used the nomenclature "bottle".
I was confronted with the trailing edge of that era, but semiconductors were coming on strongly.
Perhaps the most easily remembered device would be the the 1S2 rectifier which even in those days was available as a semiconductor variant.

Last fiddled with by snme2pm1 on 2016-12-01 at 08:01
Old 2016-12-01, 12:24   #30
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101000112 Posts

The tube rectifier I remember most is 5R4 with a variety of suffixes.

On the cusp of solid state, my father built a Dynaco kit preamp and power amp. The preamp had DC filaments for the audio tubes. These were originally fed by a selenium full wave rectifier stack, which died fairly early. The replacements he got were silicon, which had lower back current and produced higher output voltage. This blew up the filter electrolytics, which had to be replaced with higher rated parts.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 02:25   #31
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

24·571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Me, for one.
Me for two. Not so old (and wise) like Paul but in my corner of the world some technology arrived later. Did what Paul describes, too, and the best think I can remember was when accidentally dropped my tool (a screwdriver or something, this I can not remember) and bent down to take it and the tip of my nose came quite close (without touching it) to the open frame (the back of the TV was opening as a cabinet, with hinges!). I think nobody can EVER forget few thousand volts electric shock on the tip of the nose... Green and pink stars were flying around my head for a while, like in cartoons
No joke!

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-12-02 at 02:29
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 07:31   #32
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
...tip of my nose came quite close...Green and pink stars were flying around my head for a while
Was that a live chassis or did you park your nose near an anode cap, or perhaps otherwise such as can not be recalled?
I reckon that Wayne could potentially be annoyed at the way that this thread has been hijacked by nostalgic techs.
Really there should be another thread or a suitable thread title adjustment.

I was happy to be sufficiently down the exit slope of valves (apart from CRT which happened considerably later) that I have never constructed any tool using such tech.
When I wore shorts, I was busy repairing equipment around the neighborhood which certainly did use valves.
Just prior to colour broadcast, I was happy to have my own monochrome TV, which I had repaired, such that I could watch somewhat naughty programs without parental control, like in this AU country "Number 96" and "The Box", and also see those lovely ABBA ladies showing off their attributes. ABBA was very big in AU, particularly the blonds bottom.

Last fiddled with by snme2pm1 on 2016-12-02 at 07:44 Reason: + The Box
Old 2016-12-02, 10:32   #33
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
"Number 96" and "The Box"
I would hope that possible sexual interpretations of those titles, in agreement with the broadcast content, have not been entirely lost in any translation.
I doubt that any such similar titles would be allowed again, in this modern time!