mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2005-02-10, 03:56   #1
A_Pryme

Feb 2005

1000002 Posts
Default Interpreting Screen Info.

Can someone tell me where I can get information on knowing what the messages are that the Prime95 program window has while the program is running?

I just started this program this evening and it started primality tests after after passing the 33 768k functionality tests.

I don't currently have a way of copying and pasting current onscreen info from the program.
A_Pryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-10, 08:10   #2
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3×191 Posts

Try prime95's help file, under "How to use Prime95", then the topic "Program output". Good to see you're not afraid to ask questions!

Oh, there's a topic there about setting available memory, too. Essentially it only affects the P-1 stage, which looks for a factor before running the Lucas-Lehmer test.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-11, 01:42   #3
A_Pryme

Feb 2005

25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr
....setting available memory, too. Essentially it only affects the P-1 stage,....
So you think I should increase the momery at the P-1 stage or set it once for all and leave it that way I don't have to do it when the P-1 stage starts.
Old 2005-02-11, 05:03   #4
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

10758 Posts

Quote:
increase the momery at the P-1 stage or set it once for all
Just set it & leave it - preferably high but not to interfere with your normal work when prime95 actually uses the extra for a p-1 test. I assume that by now you've read the helpfile & the responses by uncwilly & cheesehead in your thread about memory allocation - that covers it well.
Old 2005-02-11, 06:43   #5
A_Pryme

Feb 2005

25 Posts

Yeah the memory setting stuff is ok.

I was waiting on a response about the hyperthreading comments since I was told that I can't run two instances of Prime95 on a computer that doesn't have hyperthreading capabilities. Whether the chip I am using will run two instances of Prime95 I do not know.

Intel Celeron processor 631.4 MHz
RDTSC, CMOV, PREFETCH, MMX, SSE
Cache, L1: 16Kb, L2: 128Kb.

What does hyperthreading have to do with it? I have been running multiple instances of programs on computers old and new without problems so why does Prime95 require hyperthreading?
Old 2005-02-11, 08:11   #6
Digital Concepts

Aug 2002

2×33 Posts

What HT has to do with it, is the ability to fit two threads of work into a single pipeline, instead of swapping between threads.

You can run two instances, but George has optimized/filled the pipeline such that there isn't much to gain. Plus you'd need more RAM for two instances, than you have, which would cause thrashing to disk.

Last fiddled with by Digital Concepts on 2005-02-11 at 08:13
Digital Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-11, 09:04   #7
A_Pryme

Feb 2005

25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Concepts
What HT has to do with it, is the ability to fit two threads of work into a single pipeline, instead of swapping between threads.

You can run two instances, but George has optimized/filled the pipeline such that there isn't much to gain. Plus you'd need more RAM for two instances, than you have, which would cause thrashing to disk.
Well, I ceratinly don't want to overstress an Emachine that I pulled out of retirement (was in the floor, migrated around). This one has seen better days since I always ride my puters pretty hard. That WinMe is/was a tough old bird.

So I will be avaoiding any disk thrashing if possible. hehehe

I have a UNISYS 3206sx PW2 Advantage with win 3.11 and DOS 6.0 in the closet. Will that run this Prime95?
Old 2005-02-11, 12:04   #8
leifbk

May 2004
Oslo, Norway

1708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pryme
I have a UNISYS 3206sx PW2 Advantage with win 3.11 and DOS 6.0 in the closet. Will that run this Prime95?
No. But you could install a small GUI-less Linux on it, eg. Debian with just the bare necessities. If you set up sshd to start at boot, you don't even need a console for it. Just ssh into it from another machine and do whatever you need from time to time. There's a free ssh client for Windows called Putty that I used a lot before I converted to Linux on the desktop.

regards, Leif.
leifbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-11, 20:03   #9
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3·7·383 Posts

Quote:
No, but maybe try this:

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/prime.zip

I tried it once and it is nearly unusable, but it was fun...

Quote:
Windows 3.1: Download prime.zip(202K). This version is not fully automatic, but you can use the PrimeNet server's web-based forms to get exponents and report results. ECM factoring is not supported. Version 18.1, last updated April 2, 1999.
I've even used a DOS version but it was very slow... I can't find a link to it right now...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-12, 04:30   #10
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts
Default Screen output / log output

Quote:
Can someone tell me where I can get information on knowing what the messages are that the Prime95 program window has while the program is running?
You can increase the frequency of information output in prime95 by using options menu > "Iterations between screen outputs" and setting it to a smaller number.

The linux version lets you scroll back up quite a way (it runs at the command prompt/console) but the windows client does not have a history buffer in the output window.

However, then main record of what has happened is in the prime.log file. Take a read of this because it will tell you things like when a test finished if you missed that because it scrolled off screen when you weren't watching. Similarly there may be errors logged there periodically.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-12, 12:05   #11
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson
However, then main record of what has happened is in the prime.log file.
Peter, I think you mean the results.txt file. The prime.log file has messages sent to the PrimeNet server, so it won't show the latest test result until prime95 communicates with the server. [/pedant]