mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2006-11-05, 18:01   #1
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2·3·7·13 Posts
Default Feature request: Automatically delete already tested primes

I got assigned a prime which I assume was still being tested by someone but not being updated. About 15 days ago, the prime was completed by that other person while I was still testing it. When updating my progress on the server, I got something like "exponent already tested". I didn't notice because I don't check on this computer very often.

This isn't the first time I had an exponent that ended up giving me this result. However it's the first time the exponent wasn't automatically deleted from my worktodo.ini file. I suspect that this was because all the other times I wasn't in the middle of an LL test.

I'd like to request a feature or prime.ini/local.ini option that says Prime95 has the right to delete a previously tested prime, even if it is currently being worked on.
JuanTutors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 17:03   #2
sonjohan

May 2003
Belgium

2×139 Posts

If I remember correctly, if your residues match, the exponent will be considered double-checked, and you'll considered as being the double-tester.
sonjohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 00:48   #3
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

22216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjohan View Post
If I remember correctly, if your residues match, the exponent will be considered double-checked, and you'll considered as being the double-tester.
On that note:

1. does anyone want my files for this exponent? It only has 5 million iterations to go, but on this computer that translates to a couple of weeks of work. I'd rather move on to another first time test.

2. I did hear that too. However, checking online, it's not even in my list of exponents being tested. Prime95 even says that exponents that have already been tested will not be updated online. I don't know how that will work when the work is completed.
Old 2006-11-07, 01:05   #4
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2×3×7×13 Posts

Of course a good alternative is, instead of making an option to automatically delete the prime in worktodo.ini, simply ask the tester the following:

"This exponent has already been tested. Would you like to finish this test off as a double check?"
Old 2006-11-07, 09:11   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Prime95 isn't set up to be interactive as that would require. You wouldn't want an unattended system to wait for an answer.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 11:23   #6
ppo

Aug 2004
italy

113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Prime95 isn't set up to be interactive as that would require. You wouldn't want an unattended system to wait for an answer.
It could just put a warning in the worktodo file, and let the user decide.
ppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 01:19   #7
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

52×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanpapi82 View Post
On that note:

1. does anyone want my files for this exponent? It only has 5 million iterations to go, but on this computer that translates to a couple of weeks of work. I'd rather move on to another first time test.
I can take the save file and finish the test (and then email George the result if primenet doesn't accept it). You could try emailing it to me to the address in my profile. If it's too large I'm not quite sure how to do it. Do you have a webpage where you can put it?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 16:39   #8
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2·3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I can take the save file and finish the test (and then email George the result if primenet doesn't accept it). You could try emailing it to me to the address in my profile. If it's too large I'm not quite sure how to do it. Do you have a webpage where you can put it?
It didn't let me get your email address. PM me with it and I'll send you the file.
Old 2006-11-11, 20:20   #9
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2×3×7×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
You wouldn't want an unattended system to wait for an answer.
The current way is working on an already-completed exponent and not asking whether you even want to work on it. I think the alternative of working on an already-completed exponent while waiting for an answer is better.

Yet another alternative is, having three options that you can choose to put into prime.ini:

1. Complete the test anyway
2. Ask whether you want to continue working, while still working on the exponent
3. Delete the exponent from worktodo.ini and continue on to the next exponent on the list.
Old 2006-11-12, 06:05   #10
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

96E16 Posts

I think that PrimeNet should be made more secure so that people cannot "steal" exponents. However, we should change our policies that if one abandons an exponent without unreserving, then the exponent would be subject to being re-assigned to someone else. That way, very old exponents that still need double-checking can still be done by teams who want to get them through with (double-checking in the 14M range, etc).

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2006-11-12 at 06:06
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 17:27   #11
JuanTutors

"Juan Tutors"
Mar 2004

2·3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
I think that PrimeNet should be made more secure so that people cannot "steal" exponents. However, we should change our policies that if one abandons an exponent without unreserving, then the exponent would be subject to being re-assigned to someone else. That way, very old exponents that still need double-checking can still be done by teams who want to get them through with (double-checking in the 14M range, etc).
I was under the impression that that's how it's done now. I thought that normally, the list of expired primes are reset every day and made available once that is done.

P.S. That exponent we are discussing above was automatically assigned to me. And certainly exponents that I've lost for one reason or another have expired and disappeared from my list on primenet.