mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2010-05-25, 10:16   #1
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7×31 Posts
Thumbs up Tired of all the prpclient console windows?

DigiK-oz of the Dutch Power Cows has made a small program for Windows that hides the PRPclient windows and shows progress and status in one window. The program may be minimized to systray.

Try it out yourself: http://www.digik-oz.nl/dcPSP.aspx

He made the program for himself and his team mates for running the Prime Sierpinski Project, so I doubt it will work with all the other PRPNet projects out there.

Thank you DigiK-oz!
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 11:54   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

22·11·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
He made the program for himself and his team mates for running the Prime Sierpinski Project, so I doubt it will work with all the other PRPNet projects out there.
I'm still testing it, but it looks like it works as long as it's run from a directory that has PRPnet client directories beneath it. (in the PSP standard, that's the folder with all the bat's, and the prpclient-1, prpclient-2, etc. inside it; but more generally it simply checks all the subdirectories it's run from for the PRPnet client files) You don't need to have the same servers, the same folder naming standard, or anything, just subfolders with prpclient.exe and prpclient.ini inside them. You should avoid having more client folders visible to the program than you actually want to run, as otherwise it will probably run them too if you use the "Autostart clients" option.

Maybe this is due to the difference in PRPnet client version (I use 3.2.4), but when I check "Show test details", it always just shows "Initializing", never a correct status. (in case it matters, I'm currently doing work using cllr.exe) The percentage statuses and everything else works just fine, though.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2010-05-25 at 12:37
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 12:53   #3
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7×31 Posts

I should have been a bit more specific... I doubt this will work for projects that don't use only cllr.

I don't know if DigiK-oz has tested it on prpclient version 3, which might explain why you're seeing "initializing" only.
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 13:29   #4
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

22×11×97 Posts

Quote:
I should have been a bit more specific... I doubt this will work for projects that don't use only cllr.
Oh, ok. It looks like with PFGW it still runs everything ok, (including killing the program cleanly) but it doesn't have any percentage or status at all. Depending on the situation, this may or may not matter to the user (e.g. it would be fine for very small work where there wouldn't be much status to tell about).
Quote:
I don't know if DigiK-oz has tested it on prpclient version 3, which might explain why you're seeing "initializing" only.
Yeah, probably. It's not a big problem, but it'd be nice if it also worked completely right with PFGW and PRPnet 3. If that was done, it could probably get more use with CRUS, NPLB, and any other PRPnet-using projects. As it is, I'm using it for my NPLB work on my private PRPnet server. (running a server too would be great so I can completely ditch the command windows, but that's probably outside the scope of the program...still, if it's an easy addition I'd like it) It's handy to have it all in one easy-to-read window.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2010-05-25 at 13:35
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 08:42   #5
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23·3 Posts

Currently, the program simply starts a client in all subdirectories that have prpclient.exe AND prpclient.ini in them. The command windows are hidden, and monitored for certain output lines (currently it looks for "x.xx%]", "Starting proth prime test of ", "Resuming proth prime test of ","Using zero-padded FFT length"). The percentage, test name and FFT length shown in the program are based on this output. Especially the test name and FFT stuff are probably LLR specific (?), so with other clients not all information will be accurate or present at all.

The program is only aware of prpclient.exe, and has no idea what clients are actually used (LLR, PFGW, ....).

Since I currently only run LLR, I can't add specific code for other clients. It would be easy to add though, IF I know what output lines to look for. So if someone can give me screenshots of the command window (or the exact phrases the program outputs) for other clients in various stages of processing (at startup, shutdown, fetch new work, the regular progress messages etc), I can certainly add specific code for other clients.
DigiK-oz is offline   Reply With Quote